Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Tora Japanese restaurant in Gahanna opened

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Tora Japanese restaurant in Gahanna opened

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

patient_zero
    Participant

Tora, a Japanese restaurant, has recently been opened in Gahanna in the former Milano restaurant space.

Chef Kim, who’s cooked for Masaharu Morimoto of Iron Iron Chef, will offer sushi and other prepared raw items, filet mignon, ribeye, New York strip and wagyu beef and numerous appetizers.

Tora 1330 N. Hamilton Road. 614-428-8672. Open for lunch and dinner, closed for night prep between 2:30-5:30.

Read more here.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

patient_zero wrote >>
    Chef Kim, who’s cooked for Masaharu Morimoto of Iron Iron Chef, will offer sushi and other prepared raw items, filet mignon, ribeye, New York strip and wagyu beef and numerous appetizers.
    Read more here.

Conveniently, our anniversary is tomorrow, we’ll have to check this place out for dinner!

patient_zero
    Participant

mrsgeedeck wrote:

Conveniently, our anniversary is tomorrow, we’ll have to check this place out for dinner!

patient_zero wrote:

Happy anniversary to you both! Should you dine at Tora, it’s my wish that Chef Kim prepares a memorable dinner for you.

I’d appreciate feedback on the food, menu, service and saké.

DavidF
    Participant

I just passed this place today. It’s right down the street from me. I hope somebody posts a review soon.

DavidF… maybe you will be able to post the review1 :)

DavidF
    Participant

Hmm. Sounds like a date.

Do skunks and lemurs get along?

dsay

Uh…does it same strange to anyone else that an accomplished chef of some national acclaim would open a restaurant in a strip mall in Gahanna?

Jimbo Jones

dsay wrote >>
    Uh…does it same strange to anyone else that an accomplished chef of some national acclaim would open a restaurant in a strip mall in Gahanna?

I wonder if it had something to do with him thinking that he might draw more customers in Gahanna than downtown? Perhaps he also thought the market for sushi is a bit saturated downtown? I’m only speculating. You could also ask yourself whether it’s strange that a chef of such acclaim would open a restaurant in central Ohio.

DavidF
    Participant

All I want to know is, how good is it?

hungrywoolf
    Participant

patient_zero wrote >>
    Tora, a Japanese restaurant, has recently been opened in Gahanna in the former Milano restaurant space.
    Tora 1330 N. Hamilton Road. 614-428-8672. Open for lunch and dinner, closed for night prep between 2:30-5:30.
    Read more here.

Any more details of where he worked before? ‘cooked for Morimoto’ could mean that he cooked for him once somewhere, or it could mean that we worked for him.

hungrywoolf
    Participant

Found out more – it has the same owners as Hama at Easton and the chef is moving over from Hama.
    http://www.thisweeknews.com/live/content/food/stories/2009/12/16/tabletalk.html?type=rsscat=sid=104

Only one yelp review so far:
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/restaurant-tora-gahanna

patient_zero
    Participant

@ hungrywoolf – Yeah, that was the same article I cited on the word “here”, in read more here. I know, it’s hard to read blue and blue. Maybe Walker can change the color to red.

@dsay, Chef Kim once worked for Morimoto in Philidelphia
    http://www.morimotorestaurant.com/
    but the owner is Won Lee, also owner of Hama. Chef Kim is the executive chef, not the owner.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Looks like this is more of a pan-asian place than a straight up Japanese place. To be honest, I’ve not been a fan of Hama since Mr. Lee bought the place a few years back. It seemed like the quality dropped, and a few of my favourites fell from the menu. I wish him luck in his new venture.

DavidF
    Participant

hungrywoolf wrote >>
    Found out more – it has the same owners as Hama at Easton and the chef is moving over from Hama.
    http://www.thisweeknews.com/live/content/food/stories/2009/12/16/tabletalk.html?type=rsscat=sid=104
    Only one yelp review so far:
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/restaurant-tora-gahanna

That yelp review was pretty much devoid of any useful information.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE