Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Top Ten Things to do in Columbus? 2013 Edition!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Top Ten Things to do in Columbus? 2013 Edition!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

So… for some mysterious SEO-related reason, we’ve been getting a lot of inbound search traffic to this post lately:

Top Ten Things to do in Columbus, Ohio

Which is great, but the post is SIX years old. It’s a somewhat staple list that was group-compiled, so I thought it would be worthwhile to ask everyone again for their own personal Top 10 list of things to do in town with visitors when you’re entertaining guests and showing of the city, especially with someone who’s never been here before. The more specific you want to get, the better!

Ready, go! What are your Top 10 Things to do in Columbus with guests/visitors?

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Maybe it should be the top 10 things that didn’t exist six years ago –such as:

Breakfast at Skillet, morning stroll along the Scioto Mile, head over to 400 W Rich to see some art, catch some more art at the Urban Art Space, lunch at Explorer’s Club, afternoon outdoor concert at the Columbus Commons, dinner up at Solay Bistro, back to the Lincoln Theater for a dance performance, grab a bite to eat at a taco truck, and then hang out at Old Towne Tavern until the wee hours of the morning…

chaptal
    Participant

In no particular order.
    A walk along the Scioto Mile, take in the fountain, weather permitting
    Get a beverage at Cup O’ Joe, hang in Columbus Commons
    Have an amazing cocktail at Curio
    Go to Writers’ Block open mic on Wednesday nights at Kafe Kerouac.
    Spend some time crate digging at Spoonful Records
    So many choices as to where to eat. I’d take people to the Jury Room, Knead or Pizza at Natalie’s Coal Fired
    A Clippers game at Huntington Park
    People watching in the Short North
    Some Jeni’s to go and eat it by the Goodale Park fountain.

geoyui
    Participant

Dinin’ Hall for Lunch
    Freshstreet Yakitori for Dinner.

I think it’s not just the static things that make Columbus awesome, but all the events we offer too. There is ALWAYS something going on.

This is a bit self-promotional, but I’ve got a Columbus events blog, Tania Explores Columbus[/url], that I update weekly with the major events going on in the upcoming week. When a friend is coming to town, I shoot them the link and ask whether there’s something in particular that they’d like to attend.

Also, events enhance permanent attractions – I love to take out-of-town guests to Dinin’ Hall, but it’s even better on Saturdays when they’ve got their 400 W Rich Farmers Market. The Wex has beautiful art but if you keep on eye on their calendar, you can get in for free AND catch exhibits like The Clock.

Other event/activity sources that I find useful when visitors are in town include your Mega Weekend posts and activity suggestions on Twenty Dollar Dates[/url] too. The date suggestions work just as well for visitors as for significant others.

Soooo, this wasn’t a list of ten things, but I can safely say that there are at least ten events every weekend that would be perfect for showing off our city to out-of-towners. :)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ChrisSunami said:
    Maybe it should be the top 10 things that didn’t exist six years ago…

Good plan. Might turn out to be that way for a lot of people, naturally. ;)

BCNation
    Participant

Walker said:
    Good plan. Might turn out to be that way for a lot of people, naturally. ;)

Half of Columbus’s residents weren’t even here six years ago. ;)

osubilly

BCNation said:
    Half of Columbus’s residents weren’t even here six years ago. ;)

Woah, thats not a real stat is it?

Twixlen
    Participant

At Christmastime, a friend was in town only for a couple nights, but you’d better believe one night we made our way down to the Scioto Mile, walked a good distance down it, then up to Columbus Commons, and generally wandered around downtown. Of course, at that time all of the lights made it spectacular.

I’d take someone to Huntington Park for a game, or go have a beer at St. James, then wander down to Seventh Son for another beer and Swoop or That Food Truck (depending on whether it was Friday or Saturday).

I’d take them to the CMA, and we’d check out the newest show, and play with all the interactive exhibits.

I think it would be a blast to take them on a Columbus Food Adventures tour. Some neighbors and friends got together and did a private taco truck tour one night & that was seriously fun – even though I go to the taco trucks regularly, there were some included that weren’t on my regular rotation.

You can’t go wrong wandering up and down the High Street in the Short North, popping into shops, and getting Jeni’s. Or wandering off High St and going to Basi.

In the summer there is a ridiculous amount to do – Goodale Park Music Series, all the various festivals, the State Fair, the programming on The Mile and The Commons, Picnic with the Pops, farmer’s markets, all the little pocket parks and Metro Parks… it’s pretty endless.

hungrywoolf
    Participant

We obviously love showing people around Columbus[/url] and spend a lot of our time doing just that. Showing friends around we like to tailor the itinerary to the interests of our guests, but bearing that in mind, here are a few of the things we tend to do with out of towners (besides food tours):

1) Galleries, shopping, people watching and restaurant hopping around the Short North with mead & cocktails at Brothers Drake.
    2) The North Market (and Jeni’s) and depending on the season farmers markets and 400 West Rich winter market.
    3) Bike ride around downtown including North Bank Park, Scioto Mile, the Audubon Park and the Topiary Garden. Stop for coffee at Brioso.
    4) Art at the CMA or Wexner.
    5) Walking around German Village with stops including Book Loft, Katzinger’s, Pistacia Vera and Thurn’s.
    6) Franklin Park conservatory and the community garden
    7) Kihachi & Freshstreet Yakitori
    8) Festivals and events like Independents Day, Bike the CBus and the Goodale Park Music Series.
    9) Some alt eats[/url] restaurants depending on what cuisines they are interested in.
    10) West side taco trucks[/url] and Plaza Tapatia Market

CMH Gourmand
    Participant

Walker said:
    So… for some mysterious SEO-related reason, we’ve been getting a lot of inbound search traffic to this post lately:

Top Ten Things to do in Columbus, Ohio

Which is great, but the post is SIX years old. It’s a somewhat staple list that was group-compiled, so I thought it would be worthwhile to ask everyone again for their own personal Top 10 list of things to do in town

Hmm, so Top 10 things to do In Columbus starts spiking around February 27th/28th? Me Thinks it was everyone coming in to town for the Arnold Sports Festival.

WCBE Foodcast has a series on 48 hours in Columbus – great for ideas:

http://wcbefoodcast.org/category/48-hours-in-columbus/

Other things: many already stated:
    Scioto Mile
    German Village
    North Market
    Topiary Garden Park
    An event in Columbus – there is something every weekend
    A Liz Lessner Columbus Food League restaurant
    A Food Truck – because we are the Food Truck Capital of the Midwest – hence http://streeteatscolumbus.com
    Studio 35 for a beer tasting
    use twitter to play a local favorite game – Find the @Twixlen
    and much, much more.

cyclist II
    Participant

I would just take them to Bodega 10 says in a row.

derm
    derm
    Participant

I am not sure I have ten. Trying to find ten free things to do, or at least attend.

1.Sign up for a free class of rock climbing at the Audubon center
    2. Attend one of our tiny festivals like DIG Grandview or Taste of Grandview
    3. Bike one of the trails that is off the beaten path like the Hilliard trails or Blackhand Gorge(ok that is Licking Cty)
    4. Go to a sporting event for a Buckeye team that is not hoops or football. They are cheap and still top notch D1
    5. Play a round of golf for dirt cheap at one of our public courses. (Bring ten bucks and ten balls and play Wilson, just wear a helmet if it is a weekend :)
    6. The Asian Festival. Probably mentioned, but jumped to the top of my festivals recently.
    7. Shop at CAM asian market or La Plaza Tapatia. Walk out with amazing stuff for little money.
    8. Free music almost every day of the summer. Tuesdays in GView, sunday at Goodale, thursdays at the park on Scioto, the day I forget at the statehouse.
    9. Pack a picnic lunch and eat downtown at the commons. Let your kid ride the carousel for a dollar.
    10. Go see the bison and new nature center out west at Darby Creek, then get in teh creek, catch crayfish, play with crayfish, then let them go because that is how you roll, nature wise.

catnfiddle
    Participant

Catch at least one theatrical production. We have a massive number of productions every weekend, both professional and amateur, with something for all ages and cost ranges.

BCNation
    Participant

What to do in Columbus, hmmm…

Last Full Weekend of June at Goodale Park and German Village, respectively – ComFest and the German Village Haus und Garten Tour
    First Full Weekend of June at the Riverfront – BE THERE (The Columbus Arts Festival)
    North Market – Jeni’s is a must, even VP Biden stopped by for a scoop
    Gallery Hop
    The Lessner Restaurants (there are I think 7 of them now – Jury Room, Tip Top, Grass Skirt, Betty’s, Dirty Frank’s, Surly Girl, and I’m sure there is another one…)
    400 West Rich
    Free Classical Theatre in Schiller Park (and at the tail ends of the Schiller Season, Columbus Commons)
    WCRS-FM = Great Local Shows, ranging from oldies rock, world dance music, hip-hop, sketch comedy, public affairs, and variety (um, about that…)
    The Weekend After Labor Day – HOT Times in Olde Towne East, and keeping it in that area…
    Hang Out on the Near East Side- Catch a show at the Lincoln Theatre, go to the Franklin Park/Conservatory & Community Garden Campus, grab a bite/beer at the Tavern/Yellow Brick/Black Creek

In November/December, there is a ton: Village Lights in German Village (first Sunday in December), Holiday Hop in the Short North (first Saturday in December), The Grand Illumination (Scioto Mile/Columbus Commons/Lazarus building), Holiday Lights at Creekside (Parade is on Black Friday, but the lights are on throughout the holiday season), and Christmas Corner (at State Auto downtown), to name a few (there are other events in the ‘burbs and outside the 270 outerbelt as well)
    In the Summer Months, there is a ton: Arts Fest, Comfest, Pride, Doo Dah, Independent’s Day, HOT Times, Clippers & Crew games, etc.

And damn, this thread should have came up last year during the Bicentennial, there could have been at least 20 more things that I could have added, but some of them won’t happen…ever again because you only turn 200 once.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: