Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Top 40 High Crash Intersections in Central Ohio

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Top 40 High Crash Intersections in Central Ohio

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

leftovers

rus said:
    Which makes me wonder just how much a factor traffic engineering is.

I think Walker touched upon it. Things like curb cuts are part of traffic engineering and the more there are I am guessing the more likely human error will come into play. This would be multiplied by having to cross multiple lanes. A good part of engineering is trying to figure in the human factor.

rus
    rus
    Participant

leftovers said:
    I think Walker touched upon it. Things like curb cuts are part of traffic engineering and the more there are I am guessing the more likely human error will come into play. This would be multiplied by having to cross multiple lanes. A good part of engineering is trying to figure in the human factor.

That does make sense. Some areas less unforgiving, perhaps.

Still, I can’t count the number of times I’ve seen people driving erratically and then notice they’re playing with their phones or something similar.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rus said:
    Still, I can’t count the number of times I’ve seen people driving erratically and then notice they’re playing with their phones or something similar.

Yeah, but that’s *all* roads and *all* intersections. One would think that distracted cell phone driving would cause an uptick in crashes across the board, not just at the specific locations that made the top of the charts.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker said:
    Yeah, but that’s *all* roads and *all* intersections. One would think that distracted cell phone driving would cause an uptick in crashes across the board, not just at the specific locations that made the top of the charts.

Quite possible, but you’re presuming all drivers are distracted at the same rate. If there’s a lot of stop and go traffic ( from bad design, perhaps? ) then some may choose to pass time fiddling with electronics heightening distraction, leading to greater driver caused accidents.

tdziemia
    Participant

Walker said:
    Speeding is certainly a factor, but only part of that is due to driver choice and part of it is due to road design. Wider lanes and wider roads with few visual cues for specific speeds can cause driving at faster speeds to seem more natural. A great example of that, here:
    http://xingcolumbus.wordpress.com/2010/03/01/clintonville-area-commission-seeks-lower-speed-limit/

Well, I read the link, but remain unconvinced, because the main conclusion is that drivers will drive at a speed they perceive to be safe, rather than the posted speed. And so, we are supposed to use taxpayer money to alter drivers’ perceptions by investing in various road modifications? Rather than enforce the speed limits???

An alternative solution: cameras and a helluva lot of speeding tickets for a month or two. I am going to guess that’s a cheaper and more effectve way to modify driver behavior. Case in point. My first year in Columbus I got a handful of parking tickets because I wasn’t used to the strict enforcement. I changed my behavior and haven’t gotten another one since.
    I think for most people, when law enforcement hits their wallets, they sit up and take notice and change their behavior.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

tdziemia said:
    Walker said:
    And so, we are supposed to use taxpayer money to alter drivers’ perceptions by investing in various road modifications? Rather than enforce the speed limits???

Well, we should be implementing proper urban design from the beginning. ;)

What I’m saying is that the common solution for traffic congestion woes is to use taxpayer money to just add more lanes for more capacity. But the act of adding more lanes then leads to a wider visual space where speeding is easier and then leads to more crashes.

Certainly, traffic laws should be enforced. But that’s really just a bandaid solution.

tdziemia
    Participant

Well … I am all in favor of forward thinking design preventing traffic problems.

But I’m still scratching my head at the notion that expecting people to obey speed limits is “just a bandaid.”

Whatevah … is this horse dead yet?

Pablo
    Participant

Cleveland & Morse has been on the top 10 list as long as I can remember. When I worked at Northland Mall in the early ’80s I would take back roads to get to work to avoid Morse Rd.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

tdziemia said:
    But I’m still scratching my head at the notion that expecting people to obey speed limits is “just a bandaid.”

I didn’t say that at all.

I said enforcing traffic laws is a bandaid in the context of poorly designed roadway systems.

rus
    rus
    Participant

tdziemia said:

Whatevah … is this horse dead yet?

Nah. Traffic problems are only a result of insufficient central planning. Individual attention ( or lack thereof ) is of no consequence.

People don’t matter, only a strong central system matters. That’s why public transportation of any kind is preferable to cars ( and by extension bikes and walking ), since eliminating choice eliminates interference with the Plan.

/trollin

News
    Participant

Broad Street Named as Most Accident-Prone for Drivers
    September 12, 2014 9:33 am – Walker Evans

The Mid Ohio Regional Planning Commission (MORPC) just released their annual list of most dangerous intersections for automobile drivers in Central Ohio, and once again, the list is topped by the heavily trafficked crossroads of Morse Road and Cleveland Avenue on the city’s northeast side. Over 57,000 cars travel through this intersection every day, and there were 71 crashes there in 2013 (or, one every five days).

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/broad-street-named-as-most-accident-prone-for-drivers

News
    Participant

Suburban Streets in Columbus More Accident-Prone than Urban Streets
    September 15, 2014 4:09 pm – Walker Evans

Last week, the Mid Ohio Regional Planning Commission (MORPC) released the latest list of the most dangerous intersections in Central Ohio. There were no major surprises with the 40 intersections that were called out as the most high-crash areas, but a deeper look at the data reveals a bit of an urban/suburban divide.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/suburban-streets-in-columbus-more-accident-prone-than-urban-streets

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO