Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Too Fat To Be Executed?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Too Fat To Be Executed?

This topic contains 76 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  News 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Too Fat To Be Executed?

September 19, 2012

by Bill Cohen

Ohio Public Radio Statehouse Reporter

An Ohio death row inmate says his scheduled lethal injection in January should be cancelled because he’s so obese, the execution process would not work and would amount to torture.

READ MORE: http://beta.wosu.org/news/2012/09/19/too-fat-to-be-executed/

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Hang him.

joev
    Participant

Killing people for their crimes is cruel in general.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

mrpoppinzs
    rus
    rus
    Participant

Snarf said:
    Hang him.

I was thinking firing squad. With flamethrowers. Bet you all that fat would sizzle and pop.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

joev said:
    Killing people for their crimes is cruel in general.

More cruel than the crime that put them there? Arguable.

I’d propose let the victims family decide, life in prison or death.

joev
    Participant

rus, I assumed you would be against the government intruding so intensely and irreversibly into someone’s life. Not picking a fight – just surprised.

rus
    rus
    Participant

joev said:
    rus, I assumed you would be against the government intruding so intensely and irreversibly into someone’s life. Not picking a fight – just surprised.

I’m perfectly fine with killing criminals, especially at the point of the commission of the crime.

You’re right though; in general I don’t trust the government enough to accurately determine capital cases ( see Core’s link to the innocence project ).

Besides, spending life in prison without the possibility of parole is pretty cruel as is. Rotting in a cell, with no chance of getting out except in a body bag.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

The simple question I ask anyone when it comes to capital punishment is this…

How many innocent people is it OK to kill in an effort to kill the guilty ones?

If your answer to that question is greater than zero, then you should probably rethink your position on capital punishment.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

Strangely, I’m usually super liberal in my views but capital punishment is an exception. While I’m sure there are people on erroneously on death row, I’d like to see those reforms happen in the courts. Once you make it to death row just end it, no one is too fat to be killed, add a few more CC’s to whatever is in that lethal injection cocktail and finish him.
    I’m fine with my tax dollars going to help “welfare recipients”,Planned Parenthood, wars I disagree with, and head start programs, I’m not fine paying for 30+ years for the health and housing of convicted felons.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

mrsgeedeck said:
    Once you make it to death row just end it

From that link above: “Seventeen people had been sentenced to death before DNA proved their innocence and led to their release. ”

gramarye
    Participant

Hah! I’m basically the reverse. I have a significant problem with the excessive generosity of our welfare state, but I can’t support capital punishment, largely for the reasons Core and joev already highlighted above. The state simply isn’t sufficiently omniscient, even after proof beyond a reasonable doubt is presented in a court of law. (After all, it was once beyond a reasonable doubt that the Earth was at the center of the universe. Even the extremely elevated standard of the criminal justice system will still inevitably err, because at the end of the day, it’s a human institution with human juries, human attorneys, and human judges. It cannot be made perfect.)

Cookie

mrsgeedeck said:
    Strangely, I’m usually super liberal in my views but capital punishment is an exception. While I’m sure there are people on erroneously on death row, I’d like to see those reforms happen in the courts. Once you make it to death row just end it, no one is too fat to be killed, add a few more CC’s to whatever is in that lethal injection cocktail and finish him.
    I’m fine with my tax dollars going to help “welfare recipients”,Planned Parenthood, wars I disagree with, and head start programs, I’m not fine paying for 30+ years for the health and housing of convicted felons.

Cameron Todd Willingham: Wrongfully Convicted and Executed in Texas

Cameron Todd Willingham was executed in Texas in 2004 for allegedly setting a fire that killed his three young daughters 13 years earlier. He always claimed his innocence, and the arson investigation used to convict him was questioned by leading experts before Willingham was executed. Since 2004, further evidence in the case has led to the inescapable conclusion that Willingham did not set the fire for which he was executed.

The Texas Forensic Science Commission issued its report on the convictions of Cameron Todd Willingham and Ernest Willis on April 15, 2011 recommending more education and training for fire investigators and implementing procedures to review old cases (the commission issued an addendum to the report on October 28, 2011.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    The simple question I ask anyone when it comes to capital punishment is this…

How many innocent people is it OK to kill in an effort to kill the guilty ones?

If your answer to that question is greater than zero, then you should probably rethink your position on capital punishment.

I’d like to see that question applied to wars.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

subscribe_email Get Columbus News Updates in Your Inbox!

Stay in the know! Enter your email address to subscribe to the latest news: