Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Tom+Chee in Columbus (CLOSED)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Tom+Chee in Columbus (CLOSED)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

why does that photo look like it’s from 1975?

It’s all about the 1975-style Instagram filters. ;)

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div>
    why does that photo look like it’s from 1975?

It’s all about the 1975-style Instagram filters. ;)

Vintage food.. yummm

geoyui
    Participant

Finally tried the Hilliard location and had the Crunchy Garlic Chicken. That was one good sandwich. I honestly like Tom+Chee better than Melt. Melt just seems to be on a different level of size, grease and indigestion that I can’t take.

Ohioirish
    Participant

I wanted to love it but it was just OK….it was grilled cheese (I did have chips added) and tomato soup. I thought $12 was a bit much for just the basic sandwich and the soup tasted very ketchup-y. My kids got their children’s meal – 1/2 a sandwich, the smallest container of soup I’ve ever seen (I mean the size dish some restaurants use for condiments) and juice box for $5. For $34 for our family of four – it just was too much for that kind of basic meal.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Graybeak
    Participant

Well, perhaps they will be able to tap into the market that Gooeyz was not.
    Perhaps having the perfect name will be the trick.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

that location seems to be cursed since la bomba moved out. (and then closed in their new location RIP burritos as big as your head.)

GCrites80s
    Participant

Why so stingy with the tomato soup? It’s something that you can cook a giant vat of for almost nothing. That’s why middle school cafeterias serve it so often.

News
    Participant

Tom & Chee opens on North High Street near OSU
    Nov 14, 2014, 1:06pm EST
    Dan Eaton
    Columbus Business First

Tom & Chee may be growing fast, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t learning some lessons. The Cincinnati-based grilled cheese and soup chain expects to end the year with 19 restaurants. It started the year with seven. By second quarter 2015 it could double in size Trew Quackenbush told me Friday.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2014/11/14/tom-chee-opens-on-north-high-street-near-osu.html

OneBagTravel
    Participant

that location seems to be cursed since la bomba moved out. (and then closed in their new location RIP burritos as big as your head.)

Damn that makes me sad. I miss getting tapes at Used Kids basement and then getting a cheap burrito next door.

As for this grilled cheese place, best of luck, tough competition in the campus area.

Columbussr
    Blocked

I wanted to love it but it was just OK….it was grilled cheese (I did have chips added) and tomato soup. I thought $12 was a bit much for just the basic sandwich and the soup tasted very ketchup-y. My kids got their children’s meal – 1/2 a sandwich, the smallest container of soup I’ve ever seen (I mean the size dish some restaurants use for condiments) and juice box for $5. For $34 for our family of four – it just was too much for that kind of basic meal.

Couldn’t agree more

FunkBrothers
    Participant

Just went to Tom+Chee’s new location on North High Street. I got the Mac & Cheese sandwich combo which includes a cup of soup and drink. The total was under $10. The soup as someone alluded to earlier is a little ketchup-y which I agree to. However, I was still able to dunk the sandwich into the soup even though it was a cup size and I was thinking about buying a bowl of soup. The Mac & Cheese sandwich was plentiful and filling. I like how they gave me oyster crackers for the soup which is a nod to Cincinnati’s chili parlors that supply bowls of oyster crackers to hungry patron. Rooted in Cincinnati, Tom+Chee understands the local food culture.

Since 2007 when I first went to Ohio State, that location has changed establishments from time to time. First it was Moe’s Southwest Grill, then Ali Baba, next was Pera, and now Tom+Chee.

News
    Participant

Tom + Chee Closes all Three Columbus Locations
    November 22, 2015 2:34 pm – Walker Evans

Cincinnati-based restaurant Tom+Chee appears to have quietly closed all three Central Ohio locations. The grilled-cheese-and-tomato-soup-centric restaurants were operated locally by franchisee Ron Freeman.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/tom-chee-closed

heresthecasey
    Participant

Honestly, they were over-hyped and overpriced.

tolemac5050
    Participant

Lasted longer than I thought it would.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: