Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Tired of Train Horns Blowing at Night Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Tired of Train Horns Blowing at Night Downtown

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author

Caleb
    Participant

Here is what I’ve got to say, and sorry if I sound rude but you choose to live in/near Downtown, you chose the urban life instead of the suburbian life. It is your choice so… now, if you can’t move its understandable BUT part of living in the urban area is hearing trains, cars, highways, construction *Walker*. It is ALL part o our evlving and emerging metropolis. Sorry, dont mean to sound rude:)

hajames66
    Participant

You’re right. I’ve lost all right to not accept without comment or complaint every aspect of my surroundings due to my choice of home location.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Caleb
    Participant

No, but you do have the option to move. Im not saying you don’t have the right to complain… Im saying you choose to live were you live and you had consequences. If you don’t like it, move :)

Snarf
    Participant

hajames66 said:
    You’re right. I’ve lost all right to not accept without comment or complaint every aspect of my surroundings due to my choice of home location.

So is it an 8 or 10 inch butt plug?

Mr Man

hajames66 said:

It’s probably a bit of schadenfreude. The area is not cheap, yet there’s a freight rail line running beneath it. Never quite understood that myself.

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

CalebR said:
    …construction *Walker*.

I wasn’t complaining about simple construction, so your wording is a little inaccurate. I was complaining about a contractor who placed priority on doing overnight heavy construction in a residential neighborhood rather than during the daytime hours when traffic would be disrupted.

Urban construction is totally fine with me.

But I think that heavy highway demolition work at 4am on a Tuesday night in a residential neighborhood is a legitimate gripe for anyone to make.

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

CalebR said:
    If you don’t like it, move :)

That’s a cop out. That’s advocating running away from the problem rather than addressing it.

If there’s something wrong with your neighborhood, advocate for change. Don’t move.

hajames66
    Participant

Walker said:
    That’s a cop out. That’s advocating running away from the problem rather than addressing it.

If there’s something wrong with your neighborhood, advocate for change. Don’t move.

Exactly.

Cole
    Participant

hajames66 said:
    I do think that walkability is a good thing and I do think horns should be blown for pedestrian crossings.

I just find it strange that there actually IS a pedestrian crossing in an area where a lot of trouble and construction effort (historically speaking) has been taken to have the trains not crossing with other means of conveyance be it pedestrian, auto, streetcar, horse and buggy, bike,etc.

The fact that the horn blows at night is merely the initial annoyance that started my pondering.

I inferred that you were against the pedestrian crossing. Regardless, I would hate the player (the horn) and not the game (the pedestrian crossing). I think pedestrian safety would not decrease that much without the loud horn.

BTW, did you submit a complaint to the link that Josh suggested:
    http://www.facebook.com/Ohio.Rail.Development.Commission

If you do, I’d be curious to know how it works out. Good luck with it.

johnwirtz
    Participant

bldng4jstc said:
    IIRC, Chicago has a quiet zone for their downtown trains. Trains are probably passenger rail so it may have been easier to implement if passenger rail falls under local/regional authority as opposed to federal for interstate freight.

Commuter rail is subject to FRA rules too.

johnwirtz
    Participant

Walker said:

Agree. The city should be making efforts to improve the quality of life for all residents. If that means grade crossing upgrades to allow quiet zones to be implemented, that should be programmed for improvement at some point.

mrpoppinzs

I will say that the inebriated contingent in AD does play a factor. Having lived with this horn, I would feel like a POS if someone died without it.

dahopper
    Participant

This has been a problem in Clintonville for years – the Area Commission, Civics, and other organizations who are very active haven’t been able to make any headway on this issue with train horns.

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.