Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Tired of Train Horns Blowing at Night Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Tired of Train Horns Blowing at Night Downtown

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
  • Author

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    My old Toyota Matrix beeped on the inside while in reverse. It made it super-hard to nap, while backing up. (And annoyed the shite out of me.)

maybe you shouldn’t try to nap while backing up!!!!

mbeaumont
    Participant

I used to live above Betty’s and Rigsby’s and the nightly dumping of bottles from the dumpsters drove us crazy (always at 3-4am). I think part of it was the thought of all of those bottles heading to the landfill instead of the recycling facility. :)

We live in Italian Village now, not far from St. James, and it’s amazing how quiet it is, even compared to our last place in Victorian Village. The only noise we ever hear is a tiny bit of traffic on 4th.

OK, so there [i]is[/i] the occasional shooting, but it’s rare. ;D

disoriented
    Participant

This complaint reminds me of people who move to a neighborhood at the end of an airport runway and then expect someone to do something about the noise.

Or maybe they live near a fire station. Good for insurance rates, but those dang sirens go off at all hours.

Many on this forum are train enthusiasts. Trains come with noise. “Not in my backyard”, you say? “I pay too much to live in this neighborhood to be expected to put up with these inconveniences.” Let’s see if we can petition to have trains sent around to the West Side. They’ll put up with anything.

We urban enthusiasts have to understand that cities come with noises. It is part of the package. I am not saying we can’t seek to minimize this, but at what expense? At whose expense?

No offense to the OP, but before we make a housing choice (and if we are fortunate enough to have choices)–especially when buying– we should do a little research into the neighborhood.

*steps down from soapbox*

GCrites80s
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:
    maybe you shouldn’t try to nap while backing up!!!!

Don’t worry, the beeping makes it safe!

Rockmastermike
    Participant

I would like to add leafblowers to this list of annoying noise. Why do people feel its REALLY necessary to blowdry their yards for an hour after they mow for 10 minutes? Are you effin’ kidding me?

hajames66
    Participant

disoriented said:
    This complaint reminds me of people who move to a neighborhood at the end of an airport runway and then expect someone to do something about the noise.

Or maybe they live near a fire station. Good for insurance rates, but those dang sirens go off at all hours.

Many on this forum are train enthusiasts. Trains come with noise. “Not in my backyard”, you say? “I pay too much to live in this neighborhood to be expected to put up with these inconveniences.” Let’s see if we can petition to have trains sent around to the West Side. They’ll put up with anything.

We urban enthusiasts have to understand that cities come with noises. It is part of the package. I am not saying we can’t seek to minimize this, but at what expense? At whose expense?

No offense to the OP, but before we make a housing choice (and if we are fortunate enough to have choices)–especially when buying– we should do a little research into the neighborhood.

*steps down from soapbox*

The OP does realize that there will be noise in a city. He doesn’t really mind the rumble of the train. If you read his post you would realize it’s more the HOOOOOOORRRRRRNNNNNN and the fact that it is blown for a sidewalk that annoys him.

cheap

i guess that train horn wasn’t in the brochure

Cole
    Participant

hajames66 said:
    The OP does realize that there will be noise in a city. He doesn’t really mind the rumble of the train. If you read his post you would realize it’s more the HOOOOOOORRRRRRNNNNNN and the fact that it is blown for a sidewalk that annoys him.

I understand not wanting to hear a horn at night, or ever really, but why is it especially bad that it’s blown for a sidewalk? It’s close to a 1/4 mile detour without the pedestrian crossing. A complete grid is good for walkability.

mrpoppinzs

I was pondering this myself. The crossing has traditional RR Xing arms and blinking lights. Is a person more likely to try and walk around these obstacles if they don’t see or hear a train than a person in a car might? I have never seen a pedestrian try to beat a train, but I bet it happens.

In fairness, the horns are also probably required in case the RR Xing signal malfunctions.

Twixlen
    Participant

The horn is federal law.

bldng4jstc
    Participant

IIRC, Chicago has a quiet zone for their downtown trains. Trains are probably passenger rail so it may have been easier to implement if passenger rail falls under local/regional authority as opposed to federal for interstate freight.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hillary says “show me the money!!!” to Syria and Iran!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRw8I8eyQ0M
    Very funny video!

hajames66
    Participant

I do think that walkability is a good thing and I do think horns should be blown for pedestrian crossings.

I just find it strange that there actually IS a pedestrian crossing in an area where a lot of trouble and construction effort (historically speaking) has been taken to have the trains not crossing with other means of conveyance be it pedestrian, auto, streetcar, horse and buggy, bike,etc.

The fact that the horn blows at night is merely the initial annoyance that started my pondering.

rory
    Participant

I was just in Louisville and they have train quiet zones.

http://www.ongo.com/preview_article.php?a=737102

GCrites80s
    Participant

Huntington WV has a lot of train traffic because of the coal mines. They’ve got pedestrian subways like the one at E. N. Broadway and High so that the trains don’t have to use their horns.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.