Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Tipping inflation?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Tipping inflation?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 321 total)
  • Author

Tenzo
    Participant

TaraK wrote >>

Americans are fat and lazy but that’s a whole different thread. Don’t buy it? You are just looking for an excuse to say that servers aren’t worth the money they make.

I have a really hard time understanding the connection between the first and last sentence.

Not sure where that came from either.

Just because person A works hard doesn’t mean person B doesn’t

DCist

I am a bartender, and I worked at a VERY well known, pretty expensive restaurant in the short north last year. What you have to understand is that when you tip $20 on a $100 bill, I have to also tip out the bartenders, bussers, food runners, and HOSTS! If you want cheaper food prices then the practices of managers and owners of making servers/bartenders pay every person on staff rather than the restaurant dish it out like they should needs to stop. Where I work now, I have to tip out the door guy who sits there all night checking ID’s and is making $8.50/hr when Im making $3.65/hr AND we have to tip him out $30-50 regardless of how much we make. Restaurants find ways to pass the buck onto the client as well as the workers, and in the end it hurts business, drives up prices, and the client suffers for it.

Core_Models

I’d still like to know if I’m supposed to tip the AAA guy…

Hael

Core_Models wrote >>
    I’d still like to know if I’m supposed to tip the AAA guy…

Are you supposed to? IMO, No. Should you? Yes, I think you should tip the AAA guy. He probably has a couple mouths to feed and isn’t making much coin working for AAA so it would be well received. $5 for good karma is a bargain.

Hael

DCist wrote >>
    I am a bartender, and I worked at a VERY well known, pretty expensive restaurant in the short north last year. What you have to understand is that when you tip $20 on a $100 bill, I have to also tip out the bartenders, bussers, food runners, and HOSTS!….

DCist, are you suggesting that $20 tip on a $100 bill is insufficient?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

So about those hashbrowns.

I’m a scattered smothered and covered kind of guy.

Tenzo
    Participant

Crisp and brown on the outside soft on the inside (like good fries). Made on the same griddle that cooks grits so they fry up with a little lard.

misskitty
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>
    So about those hashbrowns.
    I’m a scattered smothered and covered kind of guy.

I like them chunked and capped.
    However, Last week my boyfriend made a trip to WH and got the hash browns “crunchy” Yea there were a few roaches in them. I am officially done with WH

DCist

Hael wrote >>

DCist wrote >>
    I am a bartender, and I worked at a VERY well known, pretty expensive restaurant in the short north last year. What you have to understand is that when you tip $20 on a $100 bill, I have to also tip out the bartenders, bussers, food runners, and HOSTS!….

DCist, are you suggesting that $20 tip on a $100 bill is insufficient?

Not at all, Im saying that $15 would be sufficient if I didnt have to tip $8 out of it!

lifeliberty
    Participant

who the hell waits tables to get rich? You do it to either get by or make a living. 15% is the norm, be happy if you should get 20%. if you want to make more money, get a job where the dish prices are high.

Personally I tip 20% given my background in the food service industry, 15% if you totally suck.

DCist

lifeliberty wrote >>
    who the hell waits tables to get rich? You do it to either get by or make a living. 15% is the norm, be happy if you should get 20%. if you want to make more money, get a job where the dish prices are high.
    Personally I tip 20% given my background in the food service industry, 15% if you totally suck.

Agreed. Some people on this thread think that servers are somehow mega-rich. What you dont account for is that the money is not guaranteed! Sure some nights I make $200, but then one night it snows and I make $0 after trucking it to work, and then the next night there are too many servers and I make $50. So after putting in about 25 hours I made about $180 after tip out. Thats $7.20/hr. And sometimes I dont get ANY shifts!

sjack
    Participant

I wish we could follow the European custom of not having to tip. Service should be priced into the meal not something that has to be done once you get the bill. This has always been a pet peeve of mine. I do tip but I resent the implication that I have to support waitstaff. They should be paid a fair enough wage by the restaurant along with a percentage of the bill. I think that would be fair the the wait person and to the customer.

DonnaTate

lisathewaitress wrote >>
    I have to say that for all of my serving career, it seems that 18-20% has been the norm, so I’m not sure when or if there was tipping inflation. I’ve heard that in the south and in southern California, 15% is still considered okay.

I was a server in several chain restaurants and my average tip was usually 25%. When I go to a restaurant I tip an average of 30% to 40% if the service is good. If everything is exceptional, as much as 50%. I still have a hard time tipping less than 20% because I know how difficult the job can be, and how many factors can be involved in ‘bad service’ that are unrelated to the server.
    Keep in mind, servers in decent restaurants have to tip bartenders, food runners, hosts and service assistants (or at least some combination of those people). Tipping out averages between 5% and 10% of their sales, so if they only get a 15% tip, their take-home is really only 5% to 10%. Ever been to a restaurant and had to wait 15 minutes on your drink? Most likely, your server didn’t tip the bartender well enough. I would commonly tip the bartender $20 to $40 on a busy night (regardless of sales), but my drinks were also always waiting for me.
    You get what you pay for.

Well, Daddy Warbucks, if your server isn’t tipping the bartender enough, I’m not sure how your tipping the server more solves all of that.

Anyway, yes, I think there has been some tipping inflation, but I don’t grudge any tips I give anyone. 15% used to be the “good” tip, then 18% crept in (very hard to calculate) and now it’s 20%. Really. I was there as this change took place. (I’m an old fart). Carl and I usually consider 20% our minimum tip, and round up from there, but occasionally tip 18% (if we weren’t happy, and no we NEVER call over the management – I’m too shy to even consider that). However, if we’re regulars at a place, and have a regular amount we order, we’ll actually tip based on the regular amount, even if I don’t feel like ordering as much on a given night. We figure, the service was the same, even if I just ordered an app special instead of an entree because that’s what I felt like that night. We also tip considerably higher at greasy spoons where the tabs are small.

Oh, and Carl and I always ask for a booth and sit on the same side, if we can. I hate it if we get a table for 2 where we must sit on opposite sides. This is because I wear hearing aids, and I hear better when Carl is next to me than when he’s across from me. We don’t make out in restaurants or anything like that. Anyway — just another reason someone might prefer to sit on the same side :)

Oops – I meant go up from there, not round up from there. We consider 20% a minimum :)

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 321 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: