Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Tipping inflation?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Tipping inflation?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 321 total)
  • Author

JonMyers
    Participant

@Hael – You can definitely run into tip creep at bars. The standard seems to be a buck for a beer and two for a cocktail. My rule is tip better local (you take care of locals they take care of you) and tip appropriately when outside my zip code or traveling.

lisathewaitress
    Participant

I also know that some restaurants where I used to live told servers to cater to the families and not prioritize couples b/c they tipped better (my friends worked at them). This always pissed me off. It was a small town so the number of good restaurants were limited, but tables of two would often not even get the bread that was brought out to everyone. It was ridiculous. Naturally, it became a self-fulfilling prophecy for many. We still tried to tip well in hopes that we’d prove their theory wrong, but it didn’t seem to work. Is that logic applied elsewhere?

I’ve never understood that mentality either. I’ve worked with a lot of ppl who hated getting 2 tops, but I actually like waiting on them. they are usually nicer, willing to listen to your suggestions, and into each other. The larger the group, the bigger chance there will be one blowhard ordering cabernet for the table before anyone has had a cocktail or thought about what they’re eating.
    The only time it’s worse to wait on Twos is when they are fighting and one of them starts crying, or when they are divorcees on a first date and start hardcore making out at the table (this has never happened with anyone younger than 48). both are equally uncomfortable situations for a server.

mikegetsit

My girlfriend is a server and she used to get mad at me that i tip 15%, but she has come around now. I was taught 15% by my parents and when they change I probably will too. Bars are another story i tip 1 dollar per drink, but that has inly begun recently at the urge of my girl.

TaraK
    Participant

lisathewaitress wrote >>

I also know that some restaurants where I used to live told servers to cater to the families and not prioritize couples b/c they tipped better (my friends worked at them). This always pissed me off. It was a small town so the number of good restaurants were limited, but tables of two would often not even get the bread that was brought out to everyone. It was ridiculous. Naturally, it became a self-fulfilling prophecy for many. We still tried to tip well in hopes that we’d prove their theory wrong, but it didn’t seem to work. Is that logic applied elsewhere?

I’ve never understood that mentality either. I’ve worked with a lot of ppl who hated getting 2 tops, but I actually like waiting on them. they are usually nicer, willing to listen to your suggestions, and into each other. The larger the group, the bigger chance there will be one blowhard ordering cabernet for the table before anyone has had a cocktail or thought about what they’re eating.
    The only time it’s worse to wait on Twos is when they are fighting and one of them starts crying, or when they are divorcees on a first date and start hardcore making out at the table (this has never happened with anyone younger than 48). both are equally uncomfortable situations for a server.

WOW. Those are definitely some situations I’ve never considered. I assume the people making out at the table are sitting on the same side, not across from each other. I’ve never understood why people do that, though to each his own. I want to see the person I’m talking to at dinner. Nonetheless, your comment reminded me of cougars.

I never figured out the “families-tip-more” mentality either. I mean, isn’t it proven that couples have more expendable income than families?

mikegetsit

Hey my girl and i do that!!! In fact we sat next to each other at lunch today!! Neither of us are into deep conversation though.

lisathewaitress
    Participant

mikegetsit wrote >>
    Hey my girl and i do that!!! In fact we sat next to each other at lunch today!! Neither of us are into deep conversation though.

I…can’t tell if this is intentionally a joke or just accidentally.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

TaraK wrote >>
    I never figured out the “families-tip-more” mentality either. I mean, isn’t it proven that couples have more expendable income than families?

I will say that we started tipping more since we started dining out with a baby/little kid. We always clean up as best we can all of the things that he drops on the floor/chair, but we know we’re still leaving a bigger mess behind than someone without a child, so a bigger tip is almost always in order to help make up the difference.

JonMyers
    Participant

@Walker – that seems pretty fair and cool. I never thought of it that way.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I never thought of it that way either until the kiddo arrived. ;)

Core_Models

I’m always confused on who doesn’t get tipped. Called the AAA guy yesterday for a dead battery…and couldn’t decide if he gets tipped or not. Valuable service, comes to you to do it even…tip? Certainly seems like there’s people who get tipped for less.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

If you just don’t want to tip, you suck and, no you shouldn’t go out. I know one person like that, and they can certainly afford it. I kind of don’t like the idea that you should only eat at places where you can afford a 20% tip (as opposed to a smaller one). It kinds of feels like “eat within your class” to me. I mean, people have hard times when they may still want to take a partner out to celebrate a birthday. The bill alone may be a stretch for them to afford. While they should tip decently, I know that the few dollar difference can actually mean something for people who are scraping by but trying to celebrate. (No tipping, however, is never okay. Ever.) At the same time, I do think the tip should be factored into the cost of the meal, just like drinks. So maybe I don’t know what I think.

If you can’t afford a proper tip, you shouldn’t be going out. I don’t care what the occasion is. There’s just no excuse for tipping poorly unless the service is poor.

KSquared

joev wrote >>

TaraK wrote >>
    I kind of don’t like the idea that you should only eat at places where you can afford a 20% tip (as opposed to a smaller one). It kinds of feels like “eat within your class” to me. I mean, people have hard times when they may still want to take a partner out to celebrate a birthday. The bill alone may be a stretch for them to afford. While they should tip decently, I know that the few dollar difference can actually mean something for people who are scraping by but trying to celebrate. (No tipping, however, is never okay. Ever.)

That’s not eating outside of your class, it’s eating outside of your means. If you want to go to fancier restaurant, you just have to save up more. The service staff shouldn’t be stiffed just because a customer isn’t as wealthy as other customers.

+1 It isn’t about class, it’s about good sense.

mikegetsit

Coremodels, excellent question, because i had the same issue 2 weeks ago and was not sure if i should tip or not, i did not tip, but i felt guilty because the guy was super friendly and really helped me out.

mikegetsit

Also, is it considered bad to go out of your way so you do not have to pay a fee and tip? For instance, we stayed at the renaissance a few weeks back downtown, and parked on broaf street. We carried our bags into the hotel from there, because the hotel only has valet and it is 25 plus tip for the valet, plus tipping the bell boy, that is adding another 35 bucks to your hotel bill and we only paid 55 for the room.

Trixie
    Participant

I always tip 20%… the only time I tip less is if I get shitty service.

Forget about how much money servers make (which is less than minimum wage, half maybe), it’s hard fucking work. You are on your feet the whole time, you are running your ass off and taking shit from people that feel entitled. I feel very lucky to work somewhere that is pretty much shit-free customer wise. However, the stories from jobs past and other servers/bartenders would make you shudder. It shouldn’t matter if you eat at El Vaquero or the Refectory, TIP. I will say that fine dining servers take WAY more shit than is acceptable and probably deserve more than 20%.

The flip side: it is good money, the hours rock and they are flexible.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 321 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: