Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Tipping inflation?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Tipping inflation?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 316 through 321 (of 321 total)
  • Author

Brant
    Participant

The restaurant is in the wrong, here. Those “mandatory” gratuities on parties of 6 or more are never really mandatory. Tips are ultimately at the discretion of the customer.

Sandersen

lisathewaitress wrote >>
    I don’t know. The thought of sitting in a cubicle selling insurance kind of makes me want to pluck all my eyelashes out one by one and then burn my corneas off with a soldering gun. I guess everyone has their own breaking point.

Agreed. I think if you have a decently fulfilling life outside of your job, you can survive quite nicely being a server/bartender without losing your mind.

lisathewaitress
    Participant

Brant Jones wrote >>
    The restaurant is in the wrong, here. Those “mandatory” gratuities on parties of 6 or more are never really mandatory. Tips are ultimately at the discretion of the customer.

agreed. I can’t even believe this is news or that they are going to court.

Tenzo
    Participant

Pay the damn tip inflation or get arrested

Should you be required by law to pay a gratuity if you don’t think the restaurant’s service was worth it? The police in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania think so, and they arrested two college students for refusing to pay a $16.35 tip over what they claim was poor service.

“You can’t give us terrible, terrible service and expect a tip,” said Pope, a 22-year-old Moravian College senior who’s a Pottsville native, according to the Lehigh Valley Express-Times.

They had to find their own napkins and cutlery while their waitress caught a smoke, had to ask the bar for soda refills, and had to wait over an hour for salad and wings, they told NBC10.

The pub, which was very busy that night, took the $73, but then called the cops, who treated the matter as a theft.

catnfiddle
    Participant

Man, I’m glad I don’t live in the Lehigh Valley anymore. Those people have issues. I went to college in Allentown and then bounced between there and Bethlehem for a couple of years. Poor service like that happened frequently, to the point that I stormed out of more than one place after waiting over 20 minutes for a glass of water.

Yay Columbus for your much better restaurants and the people staffing them!!!

Tenzo
    Participant

Interesting work ethic there.
    People felt their pay was to show up at their job. Actually doing there job was an extra.

Can’t tell you how many times I would go up to a cash register and the person would be talking on a cell phone or reading a book. Either they would make you wait until the finished the conversation / page. Or they would give you a dirty look and a huff for interuppting them to ring you up.

Viewing 6 posts - 316 through 321 (of 321 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION