Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Tipping inflation?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Tipping inflation?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 321 total)
  • Author

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>

Rockmastermike wrote >>

Core_Models wrote >>
    BTW, I’d highly recommend tipping the cable guy, if you get the right cable guy.

You are so right. A good cable guy will literally hook you the heck UP. A bad cable guy will only plug stuff in. I found a good one for a while, the guy not only seriously jacked up the signal levels to +10db, he even spotted me 30 feet of extra premo grade coax for some of my RF experiments.

You’re supposed to tip the cable guy? I need a list of all the people I’m supposed to tip.

For me the 4 regular ones are:

bartender (I tip especially here if they have good knowledge)
    barber
    server
    pizza guy

rarely-if ever-tip on carry out, occasionally toss some change into the tip jar at the coffee shop if paying in cash, I think some would add in bellhops and valet to the list if you encounter/use the service frequently

Hael

how much do you guys tip your barber?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Hael wrote >>

I tip 2-3 bucks depending. The haircut is $11, they only seem to expect $2 and are thrilled when they get $3.

Jimmy Mak
    Jimmy Mak
    Participant

Hael wrote >>

I’ve never tipped more than $3.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>

Hael wrote >>

I tip 2-3 bucks depending. The haircut is $11, they only seem to expect $2 and are thrilled when they get $3.

Doods are so lucky.
    My last salon visit was sumpin like…$85 highlights and lowlights, $45 cut, $15 deep conditioning glossing treatment and $40 tip. I might hafta change my look to a Snarf cut.

Jimmy Mak
    Jimmy Mak
    Participant

I hate that awkward feeling when I’m getting something like a smoothie and I pay using a credit card and there’s a tip line on the credit card slip. Am I supposed to tip? I mean, I did just pay 5 dollars for blended fruit juice and ice …

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

jmak wrote >>
    I hate that awkward feeling when I’m getting something like a smoothie and I pay using a credit card and there’s a tip line on the credit card slip. Am I supposed to tip? I mean, I did just pay 5 dollars for blended fruit juice and ice …

I never fill those lines out, I circle the amount charged and sign.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>

Hael wrote >>

I’ve always gone $2-3 depending on how well I felt they did. I’m back to just heading over to Saturday’s or Great Clips. Lat time I went I thought they were doing well, didn’t balk when I said scissor cut, and then she asked how I wanted the back done. That was a pretty solid $3 tip there.

Hael wrote >>

I have been going to the same barber in Grandview for the last 7 years. I get my haircut every three weeks and is is $16.00 for a cut. I always just hand her a 20 dollar bill and thank her for the great cut, at Christmas I give her $40.00 and have never thought twice that I may be giving her too much.

I figure it like this, I work really hard and make a ton of cash so if I can have a consistent quality haircut at a shop that I like with a barber who cares it is worth it.

Now my wife goes to a stylist in the Short North every six weeks and pay something like $120 and tips at least $50.00 every time. She also flew her stylist to Hawaii when we got married so they have a really great long term relationship. Again sometimes its the experience and comfort level over money.

Brant
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>

jmak wrote >>

If I’m at a cafe and plan to stay for a couple of hours working on my laptop, I throw a dollar in the tip jar so I feel less guilty about taking up space. But if I’m just getting it to go, then no tip.

Brant Jones wrote >>

Snarf wrote >>

jmak wrote >>

If I’m at a cafe and plan to stay for a couple of hours working on my laptop, I throw a dollar in the tip jar so I feel less guilty about taking up space. But if I’m just getting it to go, then no tip.

If I get coffee at Kick Start or Luck Brothers I always tip at least a dollar no matter if I am staying or just grabbing a cup to go. I really enjoy these local establishments and feel bad if I do not tip. Plus I enjoy a hand pulled shot and the art of the Barista.

However if I run into Starbucks I do not tip as I see them as McDonalds with the auto espresso maker and such.

Matt…

Mae Greentree
    Mae Greentree
    Participant

TaraK
    Participant

osulew wrote >>

Snarf wrote >>

Hael wrote >>

Doods are so lucky.
    My last salon visit was sumpin like…$85 highlights and lowlights, $45 cut, $15 deep conditioning glossing treatment and $40 tip. I might hafta change my look to a Snarf cut.

That’s what I was thinking. I got a haircut last weekend ($45) and tipped $12. It was a good cut with a very nice stylist, but I think you always feel obligated to tip someone well who spends over half an hour physically touching you and providing chit chat.

joev
    Participant

I tip well for haircuts because my barber knows I hate chit chat and keeps quiet.

DavidF
    Participant

Mae wrote >>
    best of craigslist > columbus > ALL RESTAURANT SERVERS READ THIS!

Wow. Simply awesome. I think you’ve found the Hunter S. Thompson of the restaurant industry.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 321 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: