Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Tipping inflation?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Tipping inflation?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 321 total)
  • Author

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

downtownguy81 wrote >>
    Why don’t we tip everyone?

Rodney Dangerfield:

My wife and the car, she leaves me broke, are you kidding? Who tips at a toll booth?

misskitty
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>
    BTW, I’d highly recommend tipping the cable guy, if you get the right cable guy.

I will second that !

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Whoever said 15% is still standard I think is totally right, however my standard is 20%.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>
    BTW, I’d highly recommend tipping the cable guy, if you get the right cable guy.

You are so right. A good cable guy will literally hook you the heck UP. A bad cable guy will only plug stuff in. I found a good one for a while, the guy not only seriously jacked up the signal levels to +10db, he even spotted me 30 feet of extra premo grade coax for some of my RF experiments.

lisathewaitress
    Participant

1. Yeah – who CARES what your friends tip? Are they making you look bad?

2. If the entire younger generation is “overtipping,” then it isn’t overtipping. it’s how they want to do things. I think it’s a good sign that people are treating others the way they want to be treated.

3. I suppose it depends on how much you ride in taxis. I use them quite a bit; I tip well and whenever I call for a cab it arrives in under 5 minutes. So, I suppose you get what you tip for. I’m tipping someone to cover for the jerks who will puke in his cab at the end of the night.

But I think what it boils down to is that crappy tippers leave crappy tips, and it’s pretty pointless to try and convince them otherwise.

Oh, and I would tip my phlebotomist, because I have the tiniest veins in the world and if she can get a needle in without digging, then I would seriously consider paying her off. Or at least bake her some cookies.

I think it’s funny that some people are offended that people providing services feel as though they are “entitled” to a tip, and it seems as though those same people feel that they are entitled to excellent service without tipping for it.

Cookie

Rockmastermike wrote >>

Core_Models wrote >>

You are so right. A good cable guy will literally hook you the heck UP. A bad cable guy will only plug stuff in. I found a good one for a while, the guy not only seriously jacked up the signal levels to +10db, he even spotted me 30 feet of extra premo grade coax for some of my RF experiments.

You’re supposed to tip the cable guy? I need a list of all the people I’m supposed to tip.

HeySquare
    Participant

sugarplumclarey wrote >>
    Servers deserve a raise like anybody else; my concern is whether dining out is going to become unmanageable for those who can’t afford super high tips on super high priced meals (the cost of both tips and meals, of course, being on the rise).

The food itself often makes up a small amount of the bill, and yet requires the most service. If the difference between 15 and 20% tip will keep you from an evening out, you may want to do a little self-audit and write down how much you spend on dinner (or everything in a week. I’ve done this before, and it is eye opening– I drop close to $10 a week on the vending machines in my office.) Even on a budget, you can still manage a good meal.

Scenario #1: let’s say you spend $50 on a meal, 20% tip is $10, 15% is 7.50. So essentially you’ve got a difference of 2.50. I have a hard time believing the difference between $57.50 and $60 is going to be a deal breaker for whether you go out to a fine dinner or not. However, if you are really concerned about price, I would consider the spread of costs on my meal. For $50 I probably spent about $30 on an entree, and $16 on drinks (2 glasses of wine or cocktails x $8 per glass) + tax on the meal. In this scenario, alcohol makes up a significant percentage of the price of the meal.

Scenario #2: Rather than skimping on tip, meet for an apertif at home before the meal, drink one less cocktail out, and you’ll still have a fine meal ($30 entree, $8 drink + tax) and your bill should probably be just over $40. even tipping a full 20% should still get you out the door at around $50, so you are ahead of scenario #1 by $7.50, and your server gets $8, a full 20%, which is $.50 more than the 15% tip in the first example. Even factoring in the cost of the drink at home, you’re still ahead of the game.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>

Rockmastermike wrote >>

Core_Models wrote >>

You’re supposed to tip the cable guy? I need a list of all the people I’m supposed to tip.

if he goes above and beyond, yeah. That guy was good. Replaced all the crap coax in my house with the good stuff without even asking him.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

HeySquare wrote >>
    Scenario #2: Rather than skimping on tip, meet for an apertif at home before the meal, drink one less cocktail out

truth. Frontloading is a tried and true technique for saving a buck.

crsimp01
    crsimp01
    Participant

Almost all of the people I have taken care of tip..some are good tippers, others, not so much. Sure it sometimes depends on the type of service you get..and there are times its what that person can afford..otherwise it is just what the person wants to give. It varies big time and there isn’t much of a system as to why.

I think you have to put yourself in the shoes of your server…how well did they take care of you and what you would hope to get as a tip if you gave great service to them? Some servers aren’t very good, others really know what they are doing and how to do it. For that…what do you think they deserve?

HeySquare those are great suggestions. Whenever I go out to eat and look over the menu, I mentally calculate a 20% tip and add it onto the price of whatever I’m ordering, just to ensure that I stay within budget.

I think it’s really important to remember NOT to skimp on a tip. If you only have $20 to spend on a dinner out, fine – but don’t then order $18 worth of food and leave your server only $2 for it!

Bear
    Participant

lisathewaitress wrote >>
    I think it’s funny that some people are offended that people providing services feel as though they are “entitled” to a tip, and it seems as though those same people feel that they are entitled to excellent service without tipping for it.

Well, I’m not so sure that’s the issue, really. I mean, a lot of times, when you get excellent service, you’re paying for it; and a lot of people whose jobs involve service are paid for it and are expected to provide excellent service in return for their regular salary. So my sense is that people aren’t annoyed at paying for service (since many get paid for providing it in one way or another) as much as they are at the ambiguity of a system in which some people are paid by their employers for service and others are paid via tips and it’s not always clear which is which.

Personally, I get a bit annoyed when I get the sense that employers are trying to get by on the cheap by forcing a larger pool of employees to rely on tips for income. Puts the employees and the patrons — everyone except the employer, really — in a pretty crappy position.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Rockmastermike wrote >>

Cookie wrote >>

Rockmastermike wrote >>

Core_Models wrote >>

if he goes above and beyond, yeah. That guy was good. Replaced all the crap coax in my house with the good stuff without even asking him.

I dono.. that seems more like a payoff than a tip :-) 30 ft of that good coax ain’t cheap either. RMM still came out ahead in this deal.

Core_Models

bribe…tip…illicit enterprise…what’s in a name LOL!

HeySquare
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>
    bribe…tip…illicit enterprise…what’s in a name LOL!

Possibly 5-10, depending on the charges :)

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 321 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION