Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Tipping inflation?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Tipping inflation?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 321 total)
  • Author
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

This thread went from 0 to AWESOME in record time.

Hael

joev wrote >>

DCist wrote >> I am all for servers getting paid a normal wage and getting rid of tips, it means a steady paycheck! However, do you want to pay $50 for that pasta to make up for it?! Or how about a $20 hamburger that would normally cost you $5?

Are you suggesting that the average customer tips 400%? If menu prices raised by 20%, that would cover the salaries of servers. In France, you can still get a nice dinner for 20 Euro, and tipping isn’t necessary.

I’m guessing that getting rid of tipping in favor of a “normal wage” would backfire on servers by reducing their gross income. I could be wrong.

mikegetsit

Baby, I am not coming home for lunch today, I have a business lunch, what should I tip? Oh wait, the bill isn’t on me, who cares!!!!

Rockmastermike
    Participant

DCist wrote >> And from what I hear, you get pretty terrible service,

You should go see for yourself instead of repeating ‘what you hear’. In my experience that’s just not true.

somertimeoh wrote >>

mikegetsit wrote >>
    I wouldn’t let my baby major on communications or anything that is not quant oriented, computer science all the way. I told her we have to get rich together.

Sounds GREEDY! Wasn’t that one of your complaints about servers?? Interesting.

Nope, that was mine. And damn right it’s greedy, that’s why I’m not paying a Mexican extra money for coming to my country and not learning English like my mother did. You don’t get rich by giving Mexicans all your money do you?

DCist

somertimeoh wrote >>

mikegetsit wrote >>
    I wouldn’t let my baby major on communications or anything that is not quant oriented, computer science all the way. I told her we have to get rich together.

Maybe he should become a server, apparently they are all rich greedy bastards according to him anyway! Or maybe he is one already…hmmmm…

jackoh
    Participant

I’m beginning to think that Mike really does get it! Just like Carl Rove and assoc, he gets people screaming over affronts to their lifestyles rather than seriously confronting important issues.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Someone tell me where DCist works so I know never to go there.

mikegetsit

somertimeoh wrote >>

mikegetsit wrote >>

Greed is good, ask G.G. Entitlement is not good, my baby isn’t entitled to crap, and neither am I. We go out and get it. Hence, mike gets it, for those of you who think the name doesn’t fit.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

(and some folks need a reminder)

jennyw
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>

half a brick whole brick aye wrote >>
    First of all, if you come to America, you should learn how to speak English, especially if you know that you will be employed as a server, where communicating on a day-to-day basis with English-speaking Americans will be the basis of your job. If I ask you for limes 3 times and you still can’t understand me and bring me lemons instead, how the fuck am I supposed to get my limes? I can’t, because you can’t understand fucking English, and you should go back to Mexico and serve there instead. -5%
    I am a server and in my experience, servers are some of the most greedy people on the face of the planet. On a slow night I will usually average 10 dollars an hour, and that is at my shitty ass job in a dirty ass restaurant in Detroit. If that is not enough money for you basically doing absolutely nothing, then you should go to school. Janitors do more work than servers and they don’t even get paid 10 dollars an hour. I mean, come the fuck on. The most you can do is do is be as attentive as you can to your tables, and no, that doesn’t guarantee you a tip but that’s what you get for not going to school and waiting tables for a living. If you don’t like it, get a new job.

This must be the girlfriend.

Given that “half a brick” just registered on here ~30 min ago, I’m thinking “she” is more a product of mike’s imagination than, say, an actual person.

jennyw wrote >>

Cookie wrote >>

First of all, if you come to America, you should learn how to speak English, especially if you know that you will be employed as a server, where communicating on a day-to-day basis with English-speaking Americans will be the basis of your job. If I ask you for limes 3 times and you still can’t understand me and bring me lemons instead, how the fuck am I supposed to get my limes? I can’t, because you can’t understand fucking English, and you should go back to Mexico and serve there instead. -5%
    I am a server and in my experience, servers are some of the most greedy people on the face of the planet. On a slow night I will usually average 10 dollars an hour, and that is at my shitty ass job in a dirty ass restaurant in Detroit. If that is not enough money for you basically doing absolutely nothing, then you should go to school. Janitors do more work than servers and they don’t even get paid 10 dollars an hour. I mean, come the fuck on. The most you can do is do is be as attentive as you can to your tables, and no, that doesn’t guarantee you a tip but that’s what you get for not going to school and waiting tables for a living. If you don’t like it, get a new job.

Given that “half a brick” just registered on here ~30 min ago, I’m thinking “she” is more a product of mike’s imagination than, say, an actual person.

rofl, actually, no, he told me to read this bullshit and I couldn’t help but chime in :)

DCist

Rockmastermike wrote >>

DCist wrote >> And from what I hear, you get pretty terrible service,

You should go see for yourself instead of repeating ‘what you hear’. In my experience that’s just not true.

That is why I put that disclaimer on there. My point is, you cant compare the hospitality industry in the US to Europe, its completely different.

As for where I work, its none of your business, and I would probably have you thrown out for being the rude guy anyway.

Core_Models

jennyw wrote >>

Cookie wrote >>

Are you suggesting his girlfriend lives in the Niagara Falls region?

Rockmastermike
    Participant

jennyw wrote >>

I’d say you’re probably right. Handpuppets are not allowed.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 321 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION