Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Tipping inflation?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Tipping inflation?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 321 total)
  • Author

Trixie
    Participant

half a brick whole brick aye wrote >>

Trixie wrote >>
    Some people don’t want a boring, cushy office job. Is that too hard to grasp?

Then do something else. Who the fuck wants to run around all night like a chicken with their head cut off for 3.50/hr plus a wage consisting of tips that isn’t guaranteed? I would rather be bored and work in a cushy, office job with a guaranteed salary. This is common sense, people.

Now you are just talking jibberish. I make a shit ton of money doing what I do. I make as much as my last “cushy office job” and work 15 hours less a week. It’s a win-win in my book. When I get tired of dealing with jerks like you, I’ll go back to work in an office. The cool thing is, it’s my choice. HA! Not a lot of people can say that.

*walking away whistling happily*

Cookie

DCist wrote >>
    Wow, another personal attack, Im completely (not) shocked.
    But, just to shut you up, Im a Political Science major with a minor in Public Policy

Now let’s guess what the girlfriend is majoring in! My money’s on Communications.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

DCist

Trixie wrote >>

Trixie wrote >>

Then do something else. Who the fuck wants to run around all night like a chicken with their head cut off for 3.50/hr plus a wage consisting of tips that isn’t guaranteed? I would rather be bored and work in a cushy, office job with a guaranteed salary. This is common sense, people.

Now you are just talking jibberish. I make a shit ton of money doing what I do. I make as much as my last “cushy office job” and work 15 hours less a week. It’s a win-win in my book. When I get tired of dealing with jerks like you, I’ll go back to work in an office. The cool thing is, it’s my choice. HA! Not a lot of people can say that.
    *walking away whistling happily*

Good for you! And not to mention, not all office jobs are “cushy” especially ones without those sweet, expensive ergonomic chairs :)

JonMyers
    Participant

I was in Toronto over the weekend and asked our bartender and a server what their hourly wage was – …. Drum roll…

$8.25/ hour…

Granted it’s probably taxed all to hell, but who knows.

somertimeoh
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>

Trixie wrote >>

Virtually every commission sales person on the planet works with no guarantee and a hope that their performance will be strong enough to change others and therefore effect their income.
    BTW, something like 60% of the highest earners in the US do this for a living.

Don’t let the idiots know they are doing life wrong!! I think being a server for years in college trained me well for the job I have. I deal with assholes like these guys everyday. And while I want to stab them most of the time, I have the satisfaction of knowing every time I walk out of the door that they are old enough to be my father and I make at least twice what the make and it’s only the beginning for me. Feeling sorry for them is what keeps me from being homicidal.

joev
    Participant

DCist wrote >> I am all for servers getting paid a normal wage and getting rid of tips, it means a steady paycheck! However, do you want to pay $50 for that pasta to make up for it?! Or how about a $20 hamburger that would normally cost you $5?

Are you suggesting that the average customer tips 400%? If menu prices raised by 20%, that would cover the salaries of servers. In France, you can still get a nice dinner for 20 Euro, and tipping isn’t necessary.

Trixie
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    I was in Toronto over the weekend and asked our bartender and a server what their hourly wage was – …. Drum roll…
    $8.25/ hour…
    Granted it’s probably taxed all to hell, but who knows.

When I lived in Los Angeles, servers/bartenders made 8 bucks an hour. I still tipped them 20%.

DCist wrote >>
    Wow, another personal attack, Im completely (not) shocked.
    But, just to shut you up, Im a Political Science major with a minor in Public Policy

Wow, that was not a personal attack. You may be offending some of those who are majoring in sculpture on here with that comment. You just look a whole lot like a sculptor in that av. No need to be offended, cupcake.

mikegetsit

I wouldn’t let my baby major on communications or anything that is not quant oriented, computer science all the way. I told her we have to get rich together.

I gotta be honest, if servers were making 8 or 10 bucks an hour, I would tip less.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

joev wrote >> If menu prices raised by 20%, that would cover the salaries of servers.

wouldn’t that be 15%? Oh, no wait… inflation.

DCist

joev wrote >>

DCist wrote >> I am all for servers getting paid a normal wage and getting rid of tips, it means a steady paycheck! However, do you want to pay $50 for that pasta to make up for it?! Or how about a $20 hamburger that would normally cost you $5?

Are you suggesting that the average customer tips 400%? If menu prices raised by 20%, that would cover the salaries of servers. In France, you can still get a nice dinner for 20 Euro, and tipping isn’t necessary.

No not at all! But restaurant overhead is really high AND servers are only paid the $3.65/hr. Im just saying that if you dont want to tip and restaurants have to raise the server’s wages, the cost will be passed onto you.

You are correct about other countries, however, they also have a VERY different economy and different views on the hospitality industry. Not to mention that 20 euros is what, like $40 nowadays? And from what I hear, you get pretty terrible service, which Americans would NOT put up with!

Trixie
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>
    I gotta be honest, if servers were making 8 or 10 bucks an hour, I would tip less.

Not in L.A. where it costs 3 times as much to live.

somertimeoh
    Participant

mikegetsit wrote >>
    I wouldn’t let my baby major on communications or anything that is not quant oriented, computer science all the way. I told her we have to get rich together.

Sounds GREEDY! Wasn’t that one of your complaints about servers?? Interesting.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 321 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: