Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Tipping inflation?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Tipping inflation?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 321 total)
  • Author

DCist wrote >>
    Yeah, wow. Serving doesnt take skill? Where does your “girl” work? McDonalds? You try to keep up with 8 different groups of people needing different things at different times. And, make sure you dont forget the 8 ingredients to the specials, and their prices. Oh, and you forgot the guy you just served bread to at one table has a gluten allergy. Yeah, no skill required in any of that!
    Education? If you know off the top of you head where all the oysters come from and their different flavors, please excuse this post. Or if you know all the ingredients that go into each sauce the chef makes and their origins, also please excuse me.

Maybe you only dine at el vaquero or places like it, but I’ve worked in fine dining, and its not as easy as it seems.
    Could you deal with greasy men grabbing your arm/shoulder/etc and treating you like a prostitute, while the lady at table 3 keeps screaming at you to fill her water glass (but with no ice) while some rude parents let their kids scream and run near the kitchen door?
    Oh, and dont forget to smile. The chef may throw a knife at you if you dont.

Who the fuck cares, yeah it may be “difficult” but it doesn’t take as much skill as most jobs. Let alone jobs where people cram their brain all day long. You are a SERVER. Your job is to SERVE. Serving does not mean you deserve 25+ an hour for bringing people fucking drinks and food. That is your job. I think people that scrub toilets and floors for a living deserve a better pay than servers do. Give me a fucking break. I mean, read what you just read. You sound like an idiot.

Trixie
    Participant

Some people don’t want a boring, cushy office job. Is that too hard to grasp?

Cookie

half a brick whole brick aye wrote >>
    First of all, if you come to America, you should learn how to speak English, especially if you know that you will be employed as a server, where communicating on a day-to-day basis with English-speaking Americans will be the basis of your job. If I ask you for limes 3 times and you still can’t understand me and bring me lemons instead, how the fuck am I supposed to get my limes? I can’t, because you can’t understand fucking English, and you should go back to Mexico and serve there instead. -5%
    I am a server and in my experience, servers are some of the most greedy people on the face of the planet. On a slow night I will usually average 10 dollars an hour, and that is at my shitty ass job in a dirty ass restaurant in Detroit. If that is not enough money for you basically doing absolutely nothing, then you should go to school. Janitors do more work than servers and they don’t even get paid 10 dollars an hour. I mean, come the fuck on. The most you can do is do is be as attentive as you can to your tables, and no, that doesn’t guarantee you a tip but that’s what you get for not going to school and waiting tables for a living. If you don’t like it, get a new job.

This must be the girlfriend.

drew
    Participant

Is the Dispatch comment section down or something?

DCist

Brick, I never said that a server deserves more money than a janitor or teacher or whatever, nor did I ever say that they should get $25/hr. But my original post to “Mike” was addressing the fact that the government decides that $3.65/hr for servers is good enough, thats why tips are customary. But $3.65/hr is not a living wage.

If all you are going to do is call others idiots and make personal attacks, maybe you need to post elsewhere.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>

First of all, if you come to America, you should learn how to speak English, especially if you know that you will be employed as a server, where communicating on a day-to-day basis with English-speaking Americans will be the basis of your job. If I ask you for limes 3 times and you still can’t understand me and bring me lemons instead, how the fuck am I supposed to get my limes? I can’t, because you can’t understand fucking English, and you should go back to Mexico and serve there instead. -5%
    I am a server and in my experience, servers are some of the most greedy people on the face of the planet. On a slow night I will usually average 10 dollars an hour, and that is at my shitty ass job in a dirty ass restaurant in Detroit. If that is not enough money for you basically doing absolutely nothing, then you should go to school. Janitors do more work than servers and they don’t even get paid 10 dollars an hour. I mean, come the fuck on. The most you can do is do is be as attentive as you can to your tables, and no, that doesn’t guarantee you a tip but that’s what you get for not going to school and waiting tables for a living. If you don’t like it, get a new job.

This must be the girlfriend.

I fucking think you might fucking be right.
    Now HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO GET MY LIMES???

Trixie wrote >>

Then do something else. Who the fuck wants to run around all night like a chicken with their head cut off for 3.50/hr plus a wage consisting of tips that isn’t guaranteed? I would rather be bored and work in a cushy, office job with a guaranteed salary. This is common sense, people.

somertimeoh
    Participant

mikegetsit broke CU, sorry for the double post :)

mikegetsit

It is!!! And guess what, she is foreign, and can speak english!!!! (Just stating that before you go off on some tirade about her being xenophobic). Her mother on the other hand, ehhhhhh not so well, hahah.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

drew wrote >>
    Is the Dispatch comment section down or something?

Indeed. The inpatients are out in force today.

DCist wrote >>

mikegetsit wrote >>
    Wow, my girl works at mcdonalds, meanwhile u are being treated like a hooker? Sounds like you arent working at such a fine dining establishment. In my opinion, if you dont want to be treated like that you could have gone to school and studied and had a nice cushy offiuce job, you decided to take the easy way out, and not put in the time. I would have stayed in school if you hate your job that much.

I am in school, and I bartend to pay for it, actually. All I am saying is, putting up with all that and doing it with a smile on your face, standing 15 hours on your feet at a time, is a skill of its own kind.
    And if thats the only thing you got out of my post, maybe you should read and reflect a little bit longer.
    Enough with the personal attacks.

What are you majoring in, sculpture?

DCist

Wow, another personal attack, Im completely (not) shocked.

But, just to shut you up, Im a Political Science major with a minor in Public Policy

Core_Models

Trixie wrote >>

Then do something else. Who the fuck wants to run around all night like a chicken with their head cut off for 3.50/hr plus a wage consisting of tips that isn’t guaranteed? I would rather be bored and work in a cushy, office job with a guaranteed salary. This is common sense, people.

Virtually every commission sales person on the planet works with no guarantee and a hope that their performance will be strong enough to change others and therefore effect their income.

BTW, something like 60% of the highest earners in the US do this for a living.

Hael

mikegetsit wrote >>
    It is!!! And guess what, she is foreign, and can speak english!!!! (Just stating that before you go off on some tirade about her being xenophobic). Her mother on the other hand, ehhhhhh not so well, hahah.

Atleast my mother adapted to the American way of life and can understand the difference between limes and lemons!!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 321 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION