Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Tipping inflation?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Tipping inflation?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 321 total)
  • Author

shmack

sugarplumclarey wrote >>
    I guess my points are lost. I seem to have offended some servers by implying that high tips are undeserved, or that they earn more than they are worth. I’m not saying either of those things. As a longtime server in many states, I don’t resent tipping well when it is deserved. I just think that a 20% expectation means something very different today than it meant two, three, or four years ago. And NOT because of “the recession.”
    I think it would be absurd for a 25% tip to become the “norm” if food prices continued to increase at the rate they currently are. The two economic factors driving the amount of tip money in a server’s pocket are (1) price of meal, which usually is a derivative of ingredient price, and (2) percentage of #1 that diner chooses to tip. If those numbers rise quickly, only very wealthy Americans will be able to afford a meal out at the average restaurant.
    People who choose to tip well are very generous, especially when they tip more relative to their own incomes. Is it cheap, selfish, or wrong to tip not just well, but fairly – that is, appropriately given the overall economic picture?

i don’t think your point is lost, but that you are holding a couple circumstances steady (income) while others in flux (costs). sure, you are acknowledging a general atmosphere of recession that is raising food costs (and your tip) but you’re dismissing that food/living costs increases FOR EVERYONE, including your server. are you bitter that there is a perceived raise for servers due to rising food costs, while your income remains steady? if you’ve been in the food/bev industry, you know that there are busy nights, slow nights, and ultra slow nights, and weekly pay pretty much evens out. if you’ve been in the food/bev industry, you should also know that serving is not easy work. and before someone snarks with suggestions of a job search, some may really enjoy providing hospitality.

as someone on my twitter feed noted, dining out is a luxury. you are being served a meal so you don’t have to incur the time/effort of making/cleaning in your own kitchen. the team that works to stage that experience for you should be compensated and the tip is explicitly factored into that luxury. if you have a good experience, if your server is knowledgeable about the menu, makes good suggestions based on the information the diner has provided about likes and dislikes, and accommodates requests within reason, yes, it is cheap and selfish to not tip well, which is fair, which is 20%, or maybe 18%, or maybe 25%, or 30% depending on total bill. after all, a high maintenance single diner requires as much attention as the group of regulars who know exactly what they want.

mikegetsit

Should there not be tipping deflation going on? I think the level of service one is provided with has decreased over the years when speaking in general terms, so why hastipping increased? Also, i tipped 10% on sunday while at a mexican restaurant with my girl and her kid. The service at a mexican restaurant is basically asking what you want bringing it out and bring you more chips and salsa. If you are tipping 15-20% at a place that actually requires effort to be a server, why would you tip the same at a mexican place. I think servers should be thabkful for what they get because afterall, tipping is not required. You take that chance when you work A job that makes 3.50 per hour in hopes of making a whole lot more. No one is required to tip you, you as a server, better be on your p’s’and q’s’so you do ensure you make more than 3.50 per hour.

DCist

mikegetsit wrote >>
    Should there not be tipping deflation going on? I think the level of service one is provided with has decreased over the years when speaking in general terms, so why hastipping increased? Also, i tipped 10% on sunday while at a mexican restaurant with my girl and her kid. The service at a mexican restaurant is basically asking what you want bringing it out and bring you more chips and salsa. If you are tipping 15-20% at a place that actually requires effort to be a server, why would you tip the same at a mexican place. I think servers should be thabkful for what they get because afterall, tipping is not required. You take that chance when you work A job that makes 3.50 per hour in hopes of making a whole lot more. No one is required to tip you, you as a server, better be on your p’s’and q’s’so you do ensure you make more than 3.50 per hour.

Next time you go out dont be surprised if you server throws the few pennies you left for them back in your face.

I go out more often than I cook at home because 1. I suck at cooking, 2. I dont like to clean every dish in my house each time and 3. Because I appreciate things I cant cook at home.

The server is a part of that experience, and the GOVERNMENT says its OK to pay servers the “serving wage” of $3.65/hr because it IS customary (not necessarily required, Ill give you that) to tip. I am all for servers getting paid a normal wage and getting rid of tips, it means a steady paycheck! However, do you want to pay $50 for that pasta to make up for it?! Or how about a $20 hamburger that would normally cost you $5?

Just like it is OK to pay party planners a lower wage because they get commission/bonuses which come from charging the people from the party. Just because something isnt required doesnt mean its OK to stiff someone who provided you a service. Im not required to give to charity, or put my change in the “pennies for ____” at the coffee shop, but I do.

What do you do that you are not required to do?

mikegetsit

Servers are not throwing anything in my face. Second of all, i tip, and it usually is between 15-20%. I am not tipping 15% for mexican, sorry, especially when i cant even understand my server. Third of all the entitlement attitude where you would ellude to throwing money in someones face is plain trashy. Sorry, servers are not skilled or educated people, stop expecting to get paid like it. Again, i have no problem tipping, but the attitude has to go. And even the suggestion of throwing money in someones face makes me appreciate a servers job even less.

Cookie

mikegetsit wrote >>
    Servers are not throwing anything in my face. Second of all, i tip, and it usually is between 15-20%. I am not tipping 15% for mexican, sorry, especially when i cant even understand my server. Third of all the entitlement attitude where you would ellude to throwing money in someones face is plain trashy. Sorry, servers are not skilled or educated people, stop expecting to get paid like it. Again, i have no problem tipping, but the attitude has to go. And even the suggestion of throwing money in someones face makes me appreciate a servers job even less.

You really should consider a name change.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>

mikegetsit wrote >>

You really should consider a name change.

You took the words right outta my mouth.
    Or outta my keyboard.
    Whatever.
    What a complete dhole.

mikegetsit

Really, why is that cupcake?

Trixie
    Participant

mikegetsit wrote >>

Mike does not get it. Wow. Just wow.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

mikegetsit wrote >>
    Really, why is that cupcake?

You might want to watch your smartass mouth. I guarantee you, sir, that nobody here is your cupcake.

Sorry Walker…

Daz
    Participant

osulew wrote >>

You took the words right outta my mouth.
    Or outta my keyboard.
    Whatever.
    What a complete dhole.

Yeah, it’s been a really long time since I’ve actually felt legitimate anger while reading a post on here. Wow.

mikegetsit

Actually, my girl has an account on here, and she is a server and my cupcake. While she does not share my views on tipping she shares my view that serving is an unskilled job, hence her going to school.

blammo
    Participant

It’s ok, he’s only stiffing Mexicans for their tips!

shmack

blammo wrote >>

with a superiority complex and ethnocentric bias like that? probably not…

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

shmack wrote >>

blammo wrote >>

with a superiority complex and ethnocentric bias like that? probably not…

What would you know…according to him you’re just uneducated and unskilled remember? ;)

somertimeoh
    Participant

If you still have a girlfriend after she reads all this then I’m completely baffled.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 321 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION