Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Tipping inflation?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Tipping inflation?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 321 total)
  • Author
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Seven pages later and I feel less informed with every post.

Hael

Snarf wrote >>

Lawl. Thanks man, I needed a guffaw today.

There sure is a lot of energy being put into the topic of tipping. Tipping norm went from 15% to 20%, FML.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Hael wrote >>
    There sure is a lot of energy being put into the topic of tipping. Tipping norm went from 15% to 20%, FML.

you need to use the correct format:

Today, I learned that the tipping norm has inflated from 15% to 20%. FML

thefiercelime
    Participant

TaraK wrote >>

thefiercelime wrote >>

TaraK wrote >>

thefiercelime wrote >>
    I think the attitude in the post, overall, is lame and the tip is mediocre. I guess it’s all relative. Sure as hell don’t want to wait on her, though. I’ll just go somewhere that charges more money per dish if I want more tips. Haha. As far as resenting tipping to support the staff, I’ll do that proudly. All of my tax dollars in this country go to corporate welfare and our war efforts. What a stupid way to live.

A 20% tip is mediocre?
    Did tipping become a competition? Has this become a thing where folks “prove” what a good person they are by announcing on a public thread what grand tips they leave? ‘Cause, you know, I tip 65% and rescue aborted but viable late-term puppy fetuses.

Yes. This has totally become “a thing”. When I’m not tipping cows or chasing greased pigs, I make outrageous online claims about gratuity because it proves how good I am.

I’m not sure how I’m supposed to read your comment. If it was intended to be a jab, let me know.
    ——————

Nope. It was just a dumb way for me to say that tipping is not becoming a competition.

HeySquare
    Participant

I think the trend toward 20% became more common as people simply tend to round up to the nearest dollar. So on something like a $10 check, 15% is $1.50… if you round up to $2, you end up tipping 20%. At a certain point, the 20% starts to become instinctual.

jackoh
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>

Spot on! The original question that initiated this thread was “How much should I tip my server”. And we have gone into other issues from that.

Here is the bottom line answer to that question, its your choice. There are no laws, rules, regulations, commandments, or moral imperatives dictating a specific amount. There might be something approximating a social convention, but why follow a guide like that? You’re free, do whatever you want and enjoy it! The question should not be how much should I tip my server as a general rule, but how much do I want to tip my server in this particular instance. And have reasons for what you do.

Bear
    Participant

HeySquare wrote >>
    I think the trend toward 20% became more common as people simply tend to round up to the nearest dollar. So on something like a $10 check, 15% is $1.50… if you round up to $2, you end up tipping 20%. At a certain point, the 20% starts to become instinctual.

or perhaps the generation doing most of the tipping these days can calculate 20% a lot more easily than it can calculate 15%?

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Bear wrote >>

HeySquare wrote >>

or perhaps the generation doing most of the tipping these days can calculate 20% a lot more easily than it can calculate 15%?

seriously. i don’t buy that “it’s easier” argument at all. if you can calculate 20% (2×10%) then you can do 15% just as easilly (10% + 10%/2)

Bear
    Participant

Rockmastermike wrote >>
    seriously. i don’t buy that “it’s easier” argument at all. if you can calculate 20% (2×10%) then you can do 15% just as easilly (10% + 10%/2)

The fact that you wrote the math out kind of underscores my point, amigo. ;-)

Nah, I hear you. I’m not forwarding it all that seriously. It just strikes me that it might possibly be one of those cases in which small forces, including not just slightly more indifferent math skills but a roaring economy, might have added up to produce a big change in the aggregate. But I don’t really think there’s a shred of serious evidence, it’s just a Monday evening theory to kick around a little.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Bear wrote >>

Rockmastermike wrote >>

The fact that you wrote the math out kind of underscores my point, amigo. ;-)

you have a point there

jackoh wrote >>

Snarf wrote >>

Spot on! The original question that initiated this thread was “How much should I tip my server”. And we have gone into other issues from that.

The original question had nothing to do with what the conversation has become (which is fine)! The issued I’d hoped to discuss, which nobody has addressed, is this:

Food prices have already risen out of pace with income, so over the last few years that 15% of my meal price has gotten higher without any corresponding increase in server duties – thus providing a “raise” for servers above & beyond what the standard American worker has received.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

sugarplumclarey wrote >>
    Food prices have already risen out of pace with income, so over the last few years that 15% of my meal price has gotten higher without any corresponding increase in server duties – thus providing a “raise” for servers above & beyond what the standard American worker has received.

which, assuming a tip of 15%, calculates to a “raise” in tip of 15% of the raise in the total bill. If food costs have gone up, say, 10% then this “raise” is a raise of 1.5%.

Does this really bother you that much? Does this raise over the last few years even match the rate of inflation?

lisathewaitress
    Participant

And I would go back to my original point: I haven’t seen a raise in standard tipping in my career as a server. I do think there are regional differences about tipping. When I lived (briefly) in the South, they were completely comfortable with 10%. Probably in smaller towns 15% is okay, too. In cities, though, I have always seen around 20%.

No one is making you tip 20%. if you don’t want to, then don’t do it. I guess I don’t understand this conversation.

If you don’t want to tip over 15%, that’s fine. But you better at least be nice when being a mediocre tipper. Tipping is the system we have in this country. It isn’t going to change in our lifetime.

Personally, I feel really great when I give an unsuspecting person a tip. I love to make someone’s day better; it’s the best feeling in the world. I always tip the pizza guy like $10. yes, it’s a high %, but he delivered this pizza when I was too lazy to get in the car and procure food for myself. It certainly isn’t necessary to tip the AAA guy or on carryout orders, or to tip over 15%, but it just makes everyone so happy when they get an unexpected tip. If you don’t get that feeling, then don’t worry about it. But don’t expect people who live on tips to still go above and beyond for you if you aren’t willing to pay extra. Extra tip = extra service, and vice versa (ideally).

lisathewaitress
    Participant

I will also reiterate that there are many fine restaurants where you don’t have to tip; not just Northstar. There are loads of fast casual, order at the counter joints where you don’t have to tip.

I guess my points are lost. I seem to have offended some servers by implying that high tips are undeserved, or that they earn more than they are worth. I’m not saying either of those things. As a longtime server in many states, I don’t resent tipping well when it is deserved. I just think that a 20% expectation means something very different today than it meant two, three, or four years ago. And NOT because of “the recession.”

I think it would be absurd for a 25% tip to become the “norm” if food prices continued to increase at the rate they currently are. The two economic factors driving the amount of tip money in a server’s pocket are (1) price of meal, which usually is a derivative of ingredient price, and (2) percentage of #1 that diner chooses to tip. If those numbers rise quickly, only very wealthy Americans will be able to afford a meal out at the average restaurant.

People who choose to tip well are very generous, especially when they tip more relative to their own incomes. Is it cheap, selfish, or wrong to tip not just well, but fairly – that is, appropriately given the overall economic picture?

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 321 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: