Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

tipped employee question

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A tipped employee question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

RhondaH

I have a friend who is working as a server in a local restaurant who told me she sometimes makes less than minimum wage due to crappy shifts in a pay period. I am not a labor lawyer but shouldn’t her employer be making sure she at least gets (wages + tips) the minimum wage for a paycheck? Is that kind of thing based on paycheck or is it computed over a longer time? Most tips are through credit cards, would she be crazy for mentioning this?

I told her she should look for a better gig but she keeps hoping they will fix her schedule as on weekend nights the place is very popular.

susank

I would tread carefully if she is looking for better shifts.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

RhondaH said:
    I have a friend who is working as a server in a local restaurant who told me she sometimes makes less than minimum wage due to crappy shifts in a pay period. I am not a labor lawyer but shouldn’t her employer be making sure she at least gets (wages + tips) the minimum wage for a paycheck?

Yes, the law technically states that the employer should make up the difference between the tipped minimum wage and normal minimum wage if tips for a week don’t cover that spread.

If she’s actually averaging less than 4.00 an hour in tips for weeks at a time, she’s either a terrible waitress or working at the wrong establishment though, IMO.

Are you sure she’s not saying she comes up under minimum wage for a shift at a time and not an entire paycheck?

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

RhondaH said:
    I have a friend who is working as a server in a local restaurant who told me she sometimes makes less than minimum wage due to crappy shifts in a pay period. I am not a labor lawyer but shouldn’t her employer be making sure she at least gets (wages + tips) the minimum wage for a paycheck? Is that kind of thing based on paycheck or is it computed over a longer time? Most tips are through credit cards, would she be crazy for mentioning this?

I told her she should look for a better gig but she keeps hoping they will fix her schedule as on weekend nights the place is very popular.

I waited tables for 8 yrs. I’ve never heard of anything like this

hmk593
    Participant

Awww, poor baby.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION