Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Tiny Building Next to Char Bar

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Tiny Building Next to Char Bar

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I can’t recall ever seeing any business open here… but this morning someone was giving it a fresh coat of paint! Has anyone heard anything that might be happening?

Heathercat42
    Heathercat42
    Participant

No clue… CAN tell you that it’s been owned by the same family for almost 100 years. I find that interesting.

geoyui
    Participant

kind of reminds me of this:

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Given the proximity to the Convention Center and Arena I wonder if the city didn’t give a gentle nudge for a facelift in preparation for the DNC visit.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Just getting it ready for the balloons.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

kind of reminds me of this:

Or this? ;)

Mercurius
    Participant

It was a furniture shop in 1901 and the same family still owns it.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Given the proximity to the Convention Center and Arena I wonder if the city didn’t give a gentle nudge for a facelift in preparation for the DNC visit.

If that were the case, I’d hope the city would first get to nudging the Hyde Park Restaurant Group, which owns the vacant/dilapidated half of the former Yankee Trader store, rather than this much smaller and more inconspicuous building.

goldenidea
    Participant

I met the owner and walked thru this space around 2004. It’s rough on the inside. The front is a façade, as there’s actually no second floor to it. As I recall, at that time, the owner had last leased it as un-improved construction management space when the convention center was being built. Unless something is happening now, the owners seem to be content to just sit on it.

The same family owns the Char Bar building next door to the south, and I believe used to also own the Carlisle Building, to the north. There’s a two story rooming house above the Char Bar, on the 2nd & 3rd floors, that you access via a metal fire escape on the back of the building. The rooming house is ancient on the inside; it looked like it hasn’t been improved since the time it was built over 100 yrs ago. I’ll see if there’s anything now happening in the white building. It would be nice to see it become something.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

The Short North has no place to pick up books, newspapers, magazines, etc…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

What are you talking about? There’s WiFi everywhere in the Short North.

deedee941
    deedee941
    Participant

An independent small bookstore would be a nice touch to the area.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

An independent small bookstore would be a nice touch to the area.

In theory, I love that idea… but is it really feasible from a financial standpoint? Many bookstores are struggling these days, and the future probably doesn’t bode well for that market.

deedee941
    deedee941
    Participant

It could be worth a shot considering the convention center is across the street and The Book loft is too far out of the way for some people. But, iI get what you’re saying.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MichaelC wrote:</div>

What are you talking about? There’s WiFi everywhere in the Short North.

Bahaha. Nice.

But for serial: I agree with you that just a bookstore would not make good business sense (particularly given the assumed rent in such a location).

But piece together various reading materials along with a Apropos-like cafe, and I think that would work. Have iPads on site for people to read via WiFi, in addition to the ol’ fashioned printed versions of books, magazines, newspapers. A “library” for millenials in the heart of the SN.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: