Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Timken Site Redevelopment - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Timken Site Redevelopment – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 98 total)
  • Author

goldenidea
    Participant

^

The question (very hypothetical, of course) is what will the area immediately to the west of the Timkin site become over the next decade,…

Do mean immediately EAST? The railroad tracks are immediately west and then the eastern edge of Italian Village, including the Clark Vault industrial parcel, then a few blocks of residential and finally N4th St with St James & 7th Son.

It’s the residential areas east and south of the Timken site that I most wonder about, which includes the neighborhood containing the Milo Arts complex and the Cleveland Ave commercial corridor from E5th Ave south to the I670 viaduct. Over a year ago, we were hearing rumors that WalMart might occupy the Timken site, but there hasn’t been any follow up on that I’m aware of.

rory
    Participant

goldenidea said:
    ^

The question (very hypothetical, of course) is what will the area immediately to the west of the Timkin site become over the next decade,…

Do mean immediately EAST? The railroad tracks are immediately west and then the eastern edge of Italian Village, including the Clark Vault industrial parcel, then a few blocks of residential and finally N4th St with St James & 7th Son.

It’s the residential areas east and south of the Timken site that I most wonder about, which includes the neighborhood containing the Milo Arts complex and the Cleveland Ave commercial corridor from E5th Ave south to the I670 viaduct. Over a year ago, we were hearing rumors that WalMart might occupy the Timken site, but there hasn’t been any follow up on that I’m aware of.

Next time anyone goes to by 5th Avenue Lumber see if they’re still counting their millions they were going to get from WalMart putting a road through their place. That’s where that one started. They may have been premature in their assessment.

The area to the east is unique because it has a bunch of infill housing that doesn’t blend in and hasn’t aged well. It’s going to be a tough sell. On the other hand it’s got solid boundaries and it’s blocked in by I-71, 5th Avenue and I-670. That can only help.

groundrules
    Participant

rory said:
    Next time anyone goes to by 5th Avenue Lumber…

Next time you drive by there, you better keep your eyes on the road because there are some man-eater potholes through there. I fucking hate that section of asphalt.

goldenidea
    Participant

there are some man-eater potholes through there. I fucking hate that section of asphalt

+1 to that! The potholes seem the worst, and are almost unavoidable, right under the railroad bridge. If you’re driving eastbound and you hit a big one there’s a used tire shop right up 5th at Corrugated. You can limp to it on your flat.

I’ve noticed this harsh winter is damaging many roads, but 5th Ave. more than most.

DouginCMH
    Participant

I’d have preferred Stone, but at least it looks like something’s coming to to the Timkin site:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/02/19/mayor-closing-in-on-timken-tenant.html

Seriously, though, this is probably a better fit for the site than Stone would have been.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

500,000 sq ft. Damn. How long is that going to take to build?

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

They seem to throw up industrial buildings of equal and greater size by Rickenbacker and Grove City overnight.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

This is really terrific news, and I agree with Doug, this seems to be a better fit for the land and the neighborhood anyway.

And it’s also great news for a local company.

Really terrific news all around.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

They seem to throw up industrial buildings of equal and greater size by Rickenbacker and Grove City overnight.

Yeah, a big open warehouse is likely to take much less time than something like an apartment building which contains load of tiny rooms and details and whatnot.

Just happy it’s not a suburban-style WalMart being announced. ;)

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Hopefully, it helps the folks in that area out with some much needed, decent paying jobs.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

A little surprised so many details are available ahead of the State of the City speech… In years’ past big announcements have always been teased, with the big reveal usually happening during the event itself. Excited to make the trek to the Palace to hear more despite the temps outside.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Will this project take up the whole site or just a portion? Meaning will there possibly be other projects besides this? I’m just not sure this particular project will do much to revitalize the area.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Bringing 300-plus jobs into a neighborhood will have an effect on the immediate vicinity. How much it alone will revitalize a neighborhood depends on a number of factors, but breathing new traffic, life and dollars into the area would be a benefit anywhere.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Bringing 300-plus jobs into a neighborhood will have an affect on the immediate vicinity. How much it alone will revitalize a neighborhood depends on a number of factors, but breathing new traffic, life and dollars into the area would be a benefit anywhere.

I’m not sure about that. There was a pretty huge manufacturing center there before, and the area was still largely every bit as declined as it is now. I think, ultimately, there has to be more that happens than just this.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Well, more fried chicken joints probably won’t do the trick either.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 98 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: