Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Timken Site Redevelopment - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Timken Site Redevelopment – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 98 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Wagenbrenner lands Clean Ohio cash for Timken site
    Business First by Brian R. Ball, Staff reporter
    Date: Monday, November 21, 2011

Wagenbrenner Development Inc. has scored Clean Ohio cash for yet another brownfield site. The state on Friday awarded $3 million for the developer’s plans to clean up the Timken Co. property at East Fifth and Cleveland avenues as officials continue to explore just how to put the 31-acre property back to productive use. Columbus Business First reported in June that Wagenbrenner was interested in the site, where a ball bearings manufacturing plant has long since been demolished.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2011/11/21/wagenbrenner-lands-clean-ohio-cash-for.html

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

So, I’m assuming the site is TOO contaminated to build residential???

leftovers

Everything seems so isolated once you cross under those railroad tracks going east. It is obviously a psychological thing, but it is noticeable. Those tracks are a pretty impactful boundary.

labi
    Participant

It’s true the RR tracks are a barrier, but I think the sense of isolation will change somewhat when the new development around Grant Avenue is done. That will sit right up next to the tracks on the northwest side.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, the RR tracks as a barrier can be easily overcome. The tracks over top of Spring Street are pretty ugly but they don’t divide the Arena District really, because you know there are destination points on both sides of the tracks.

rory
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    So, I’m assuming the site is TOO contaminated to build residential???

I don’t know about too contaminated (and I have no idea so this is all theoretical)but I think it’s in kind of a weird area for new residential. The tracks make a boundary that will be hard to erase but it has some highway access and I think you could even make a rail spur. Perfect for some light industrial.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Highway access and rail spurs are also perfect for residential development. ;)

rory
    Participant

Walker said:
    Highway access and rail spurs are also perfect for residential development. ;)

You’re right. Especially rail spurs.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

On the agenda for tonight’s city council meting:

————–

REDEVELOPMENT OF THE FORMER TIMKEN SITE: Brownfield revitalization, which transforms vacant and abandoned properties into job-creating projects, continues to be a top priority for City Council. Development Committee Chair Zachary M. Klein is sponsoring legislation for revitalization efforts in the Milo-Grogan neighborhood. Ordinance 2146-2011 authorizes the city to enter into an agreement with the Ohio Department of Development to accept and administer a Clean Ohio Revitalization Fund grant of up to $3 million for the environmental cleanup and redevelopment of the former Timken site on Cleveland Avenue. The site was used for manufacturing rail car wheel bearings for nearly 100 years until closing in 2001. It has remained vacant since then and has been a blighting influence for the Milo Grogan community. Wagenbrenner Development recently acquired the site with plans to invest approximately $12 million for environmental remediation and the construction of retail/restaurant and office/warehouse space resulting in approximately 100 new jobs.

labi
    Participant

I noticed this morning that an “available” sign is up now with the Wagenbrenner name on it.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I’ve been doing Habitat for Humanity over there the past couple of week and the neighborhood could really use a jolt. This is good news. However, I fear it’s going to be suburban in nature. Not that it will effect me in any way. The residents are more concerned about job creation than what the development looks like. That being said, it should be inviting and aesthetically pleasing so that residents will appreciate it more. It’s difficult to have any sort of emotional attachment to concrete lots, McRetail and McRestaurants. In any case, can’t wait to see that empty parcel gone.

futureman
    Participant

Walker said:
    On the agenda for tonight’s city council meting:

————–

Wagenbrenner Development recently acquired the site with plans to invest approximately $12 million for environmental remediation and the construction of retail/restaurant and office/warehouse space resulting in approximately 100 new jobs.

The 12 million they plan on spending on site remediation and construction is just about how much the 5 story apartment/retail complex is projected to cost in the discovery district (here). The Timken site is 37 acres while the discovery district apartment looks to be less than 1 acre. As planned now, the Timken site appears to be low density, nothing more than a one story and using surface lots for parking.

But, anything is better than a concrete wasteland. I’m betting a big box store(s) might choose the location. Walmart and perhaps a Home Depot (to combat lowes at hudson)?

leftovers

I am not a huge fan, but a big box Walmart might help this area and I can see it also being used by the people in WP and neighboring areas as well. As it is now, other than the Lennox Target most people in the core have a bit of a carbon producing commute to hit these retailers.

cc

leftovers said:
    I am not a huge fan, but a big box Walmart might help this area and I can see it also being used by the people in WP and neighboring areas as well. As it is now, other than the Lennox Target most people in the core have a bit of a carbon producing commute to hit these retailers.

+1 I think the big boxes have their place and it would be good to have some closer to the inner core. Also the Timken site could be worked into the Cota 5th ave and Cleveland Ave routes to more easily accomodate central city lower income families with this type of retail.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

If this site is going to be home to big box stores, I’d hope that at least they have some sort of urban design aesthetic to them (a la Weinland Park Kroger). I guess it depends on whether or not there are residents and members of the Milo Grogan Area Commission who are willing to fight for getting the right type of development built.

5th & Cleveland is the epicenter of that neighborhood, and probably the most visible corner in terms of traffic flow through the neighborhood. There’s an opportunity here to do something great.

I don’t think new development at the Timken Site needs to be suburban in nature just because there are a handful of suburban-style fast food restaurants nearby. A lot of the rest of Milo Grogan resembles Franklinton in design. Working class homes with warehouse buildings sprinkled throughout.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 98 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION