Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Timken Site Redevelopment - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Timken Site Redevelopment – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

futureman wrote >>

Timken site up next for Wagenbrenner’s redevelopment efforts

Business First – by Brian R. Ball

Friday, June 17, 2011

Wagenbrenner Development Co. may take its expertise at redeveloping industrial sites to a former Timken Co.bizWatch property north of downtown.

The Columbus developer is seeking a $199,960 grant from the city’s Green Columbus Fund to help pay for environmental testing of the property at Cleveland and East Fifth avenues in the Milo-Grogan neighborhood. Wagenbrenner also plans to seek a $3 million grant from the state’s Clean Ohio Revitalization Fund.

Plans for the site won’t be finalized until cleanup costs are determined, but developer President Mark Wagenbrenner said likely uses include a distribution center or retail.”

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2011/06/17/wagenbrenner-sees-potential-for.html?page=all

cbus11

I really like what Wagenbrenner has done in Harrison West (built during the housing boom). I really would like to see how Columbus Coated Fabrics ends up before starting something else though. Wagenbrenner is large and smart enough to get the government grants. I just hope these new build projects fill up and in a timely manner.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Might be a good place for an urban Wal-Mart or Target. I would rather see something mixed use rather than a distribution center, however, in the end, something is better than nothing I suppose.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

jpizzow wrote >>
    Might be a good place for an urban Wal-Mart or Target. I would rather see something mixed use rather than a distribution center, however, in the end, something is better than nothing I suppose.

That would kinda solve the grocery problem downtown….. and Im glad this is getting redeveloped… more of downtown redeveloped would be nice to see…. I was looking at the new site right below the site (southwest – Jeffery Place?) and it would be nice place for more redevelopment….. especially that area since it is so close to the convention center and the main streets that run thru downtown.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

CalebR wrote >>
    That would kinda solve the grocery problem downtown…

No it wouldn’t.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

jpizzow wrote >>

yikes, how about a Kohl’s, Aldi, and Dollar Store???? I would rather see something less massive than the big box retailers, though I know that is swimming against the current. Are Easton and Lennox too far to get your big box fix>?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I could be wrong, but I believe jpizzow’s request for an *urban* Target or Walmart was probably referring to less of a “big box” format and something much smaller, as is the trend right now:

WalMart is “Going Urban” with New Stores

Anyway, the Timken site is ripe for becoming a huge new mixed-use sub-neighborhood. Something along the lines of Harrison West with commercial zones facing Cleveland and Fifth.

An urban version of a retailer like Target or Walmart would surely be welcome in that area, but I have to imagine that would only account for less than 5% of the space of this site. It’s practically the size of the Arena District.

labi
    Participant

At a meeting this week I heard “flex warehouse” (I don’t know what that means), retail, and expansion of 5th Avenue Lumber mentioned for that site by a member of the Wagenbrenner team.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

CalebR wrote >>

No it wouldn’t.

Hate to tell you this.. but it would.. because I said kinda.. if you put it on the south side of the property then you may get some people.. I didn’t say it WOULD resolve I said it would KINDA resolve.

Pablo
    Participant

jpizzow wrote >>

According to the full article, a Wal-Mart was proposed for the site in 2004 but the Clean Ohio funding deal with the developer fell through….

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

CalebR wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

CalebR wrote >>

No it wouldn’t.

Hate to tell you this.. but it would.. because I said kinda.. if you put it on the south side of the property then you may get some people.. I didn’t say it WOULD resolve I said it would KINDA resolve.

well even if it were located on the southern edge of the property its still a good distance from downtown. i would say between 1.5 to maybe 2.5 miles. the brewery dist kroger is much closer to downtown then that.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

lazyfish wrote >>

jpizzow wrote >>

yikes, how about a Kohl’s, Aldi, and Dollar Store???? I would rather see something less massive than the big box retailers, though I know that is swimming against the current. Are Easton and Lennox too far to get your big box fix>?

No. I’m not really a big box type of guy, not that the Lennox Target isn’t convenient. I was leaning more towards the new trend in Walmart’s and Target’s smaller urban stores. I could see one being a good fit for that neighborhood. I think alot of people forget how dense the urban core is. The big box retailers are so spread out in the burbs for a reason-there are fewer people per square mile. I personally think a smaller “big box” retailer like Wal-Fart could be a good fit there, more so if the entire site were developed into a dense mixed use neighborhood.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    I could be wrong, but I believe jpizzow’s request for an *urban* Target or Walmart was probably referring to less of a “big box” format and something much smaller, as is the trend right now:
    https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/walmart-is-going-urban-with-new-stores
    Anyway, the Timken site is ripe for becoming a huge new mixed-use sub-neighborhood. Something along the lines of Harrison West with commercial zones facing Cleveland and Fifth.
    An urban version of a retailer like Target or Walmart would surely be welcome in that area, but I have to imagine that would only account for less than 5% of the space of this site. It’s practically the size of the Arena District.

No, you pretty much got it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

CalebR wrote >>

I’m not here to argue semantics.

People want a grocery store Downtown, which is the “problem”. This area is not Downtown. Therefore, it wouldn’t solve it at all.

Do I think a grocery store in this area is a good idea? Sure. But it’s not Downtown. Period.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

I’d also approve of an urban size Walmart. I actually like the idea of a distribution center too because it could provide blue collar employment near the central city that would be easily accessible for those without cars.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 98 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: