Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Thrift Store Score

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Thrift Store Score

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    derm
    derm
    Participant

For the curtain maker on a budget, I would suggest Chelsea House near Grandview. They sell upholstery and curtain fabric by the yard for 3 bucks a yard I think. It is older stuff, but sturdy. They have a wall of bolts that is 10 foot tall by about 50 foot long. I take my kid there to get fabric remnants for literally pennies she sews into projects for her room. It is one of the unknown deals in CBus that I cannot believe I just gave away.

cc

Thanks Derm! I was going to go out and look at buying fabric for curtains. The Singer is fired up and waiting, I will hit them up. thank you!

Retro-fitted
    Retro-fitted
    Participant

Hello Columbus Underground, I was hoping we could revive this thread on Thrift Store Scores. I am relatively new to the area and am looking for some good thrifting. Any favorite stores or scores, I would love to hear about. I especially love the smaller thrift shops benefiting churches and charities. If you have a current favorite, I want to know. Thanks!

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I’ve been taking stuff to drop off at the cancer society store on Kenny, behind the Staples.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I’ve found some great things at the Sawmill Road Goodwill Store. I think it’s by a Kroger.

asil
    Participant

I went to the Trading Post last week in Grandview on a mission. I didn’t find what I was looking for (although my daughter found a vintage My Little Pony board game) but the place has not changed. Still way off radar and a lot of great vintage gems in clothes for women and men – kids section is pretty small. It’s in the basement of the annex of the First Community Church at the corner of 1st Avenue and Cambridge in Grandview – it benefits the church. Nicest people ever in that store.

Before we went there we hit the consignment shops on 5th Avenue – there are several in a 5 block stretch of 5th from North Star-ish to Lincoln, both clothes and furniture. On 5th near Lincoln there are 2 directly across the street from each other. The one on the south side of the street is super spacious and nice with a ton of high end – but also priced higher. The one on the north side of the street was smaller and jam packed – but definitely has potential if you have time to dig. Lots of wedding dresses, some saris, fur coats – interesting mix.

I’ve found some cool things at Second Impressions on High Street in south Worthington. It’s been my costume source for the past three Halloweens. I bought an AMAZING pair of Mid Century two tier side tables. The leg was broken on one, got the pair for $12, took 10 minutes to fix. Bring cash – they often have credit card machine issues IME. Definitely check out the basement.

On High just south of Morse is In Review. My sister-in-law worked there for a while, came home with crazy stuff – like a floor lamp from the 20s. They support Birthright (the unplanned pregnancy Birthright not the spend 10 days in Israel Birthright). I personally haven’t been there.

Good luck!

papillon
    papillon
    Participant

Going to try to revive this thread (looks like it’s been revived a few times) to see if people have any favorite thrift stores currently. The bulk of the answers in this thread are 5 years or so old, so maybe things have changed.

I’m especially interested in purses and housewares kind of stuff, but let’s hear about everyone’s finds!

hometown
    Participant

I once bought a pristine suitcase portable bar from the 1960’s at the place on Indianola for $2.00. Their prices on clothing are all over the map but nice suits are almost always available for under $10.00. I’m an artist and often shop thrift stores and yard sales for frames, but prices are unreasonably high on Indianola so don’t bother. There must be people who are willing to lay out $25.00 for a crappy old print of flowers in a watering can, but I’m not one of them. For frames, I’ve had good luck at Habitat for Humanity, which also sometimes carries furniture and housewares. For better brands of clothing I’ve had the best luck at “Out of the Closet” at Fifth and High: lots of nice cocktail outfits and classy name brand suits. But…some of my best scores have been from the alley: clothing, furniture, frames, housewares, house plants, you name it. One time I even scored a huge, unopened bag of rice (yes, we ate it). I often wash alley finds and donate to Goodwill along with old art I want to get rid of. Never know what you’re going to find.

ImNotaStar
    Participant

I think thrift stores are gross and smell bad. My girl says you go to ones on the southside or somewhere in the northside in the hood because hipster types are less likely to go there and pick over everything. I still wonder if she will give me a disease from her thirft store shopping. Its gross imo.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Side note – there can be leftover construction materials. This week someone gave me two big pieces of granite countertop, for free because otherwise they’d be thrown out. HEAVY suckers.

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: