Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Thrift Store Score

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Thrift Store Score

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • Author

Sethers33

Manatee wrote >>
    Yesterday was half price day at all “Ohio” brand thrift stores, which is an extreme sport. I dominated. It was ridiculous– something like 5 or 6 bags of clothes for under 70 bucks. Every last Wednesday of the month is 1/2 price.
    I’m moving to a big old drafty house with lots of windows soon and one thing that’s really cheap to do is buy a bunch of bedlinens, wash them and make them into curtains. I have almost got enough curtains to do 6 or 7 of those giant old floor-to-ceiling windows, cost me maybe 10 bucks, and the fabric quality is so much better than what I could have bought for 20 times as much money new.

Where are some of these places? Any near Vic Village?

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Hmmm, not that I know of. I usually drive out to the one on Alum Creek, or the one way out on East Broad.

I’ve heard the Ohio Thrift in Grove City is absolutely huge though. I’ve not been yet.

1/2 price day at the thrift store is like– well it’s a giant blissful free-for-all. It’s like beachcombing.

Cookie

Manatee wrote >>
    1/2 price day at the thrift store is like– well it’s a giant blissful free-for-all. It’s like beachcombing.

Ooh, or when you get up to the cash register and find out that something that you were planning to buy anyway has the half-price tag color that day? I love that and my four dollar suede coat.

TaraK
    Participant

sugarplumclarey wrote >>

TaraK wrote >>
    Is the VOA in GV good? Anyone know?

Yes. It’s not a huge store, but what they have is pretty decent quality. I have found some very cute clothes and shoes there, and about once per visit I’ll happen along a designer item from Prada/Gucci/Coach/etc. I never buy it, but nice to know it’s available :)
    Across the street is a Salvation Army. I don’t support them because of their bigoted practices and anti-gay stance, but if you are into supporting conservative Christianity then you should check it out. I’ve been inside and it is HUGE, but the selection tends to be shabby. Their big speciality is T-shirts. They have tons and tons and tons of T-shirts under $1. Also lots of housewares.

Thanks! And, no, not really into giving my money to the S.A. after that. I’ll put ’em on the list w/Dominos. In both cases, no major loss. :)

patient_zero
    Participant

Sethers33 wrote >>

Manatee wrote >>
    Yesterday was half price day at all “Ohio” brand thrift stores,
    Where are some of these places? Any near Vic Village?

Sethers, you can find an Ohio Thrift in the Great Southern Shopping Center on S. High near 270. As far as their locations are concerned, it may not be as clean as say the N. Cleveland Ave location, but there are many finds there. Good electronics and cookware for me. But the “thrift store smell” – flying dust and dust mites usually has me fleeing after 15 minutes. Kind of trashy, but good finds. And if you’re feeling totally trashy that day, you can hit up one of only two surviving Ponderosa Steakhouses there in Great Southern. I won’t lie, I’ve been known to go in there after a long day of thrifting.

@ TaraK – The VOA there on S. High is not my favorite. It’s small and seems to be the bottom of the barrel of donations, but I’ve found a few items there over the years. You are better off heading to Ohio Thrift in Great Southern as well. The “new” Salvation Army there on S. High is 85% cloths and there are some decent ones on the racks, but I have moral issues with them as well. One of my friends needed a trench coat to wear over his suit for a last minute Canadian trip, and pleaded I find him something quick. S.A. was the first store I stopped at on what I thought would take a few stores at least, and they had a really nice black coat that seemed to be new. It was only $15 and it was a half off Wednesday as well. Score for my friend, but I won’t shop there for myself until they make some changes in organization.

Ohio Thrift locations:

http://ohiothriftinc.com/locations.htm

manticore33
    Participant

This thread inspired me to waste some gas and hit up the thrift stores yesterday. To my delight, it was half-priced day! I was able to obtain a couple of nice wool coats and a beautiful like-new 100% striped merino wool sweater made by Express for a few dollars. And a food saver for $5.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Oh yeah, Patient Zero, how could I forget the Ohio on South High?

I’ve found some really great stuff there over the years. Always forget it’s there though.

DonnaTate

I just went to the 2 thrift stores on south high (near the frank rd exit) and everything was 50% to 75% off. I got probably 15 shirts and 2 pairs of pants for $40 and they were all designer labels. Not bad!

patient_zero
    Participant

Manatee wrote >>
    I’m moving to a big old drafty house with lots of windows soon and one thing that’s really cheap to do is buy a bunch of bedlinens, wash them and make them into curtains. I have almost got enough curtains to do 6 or 7 of those giant old floor-to-ceiling windows, cost me maybe 10 bucks, and the fabric quality is so much better than what I could have bought for 20 times as much money new.

Manatee, your resourcefulness never ceases to amaze me, be it bed linens for curtains, Borax as a household cleaner, or wild greens for a salad. You are amazing. :]

patient_zero
    Participant

DonnaTate wrote >>
    I just went to the 2 thrift stores on south high (near the frank rd exit) and everything was 50% to 75% off. I got probably 15 shirts and 2 pairs of pants for $40 and they were all designer labels. Not bad!

Score! I picked up a nice Hugo Boss suit for $50 several years ago that I enjoyed for a few years. A Nikon 4004S autofocus SLR for $15(worth $200 at the time). A Hamilton Beach Professional food processor for $25 with all the pieces.

asil
    Participant

I stopped by the High Street/Clintonville Goodwill and the Indianola Volunteers over the weekend.

If you haven’t been to the Goodwill lately check it out, their clothes selection has EXPLODED, soooo many clothes racks. And if you happen to be an extra small lady definitely peruse the tops. Some little fashionista just cleaned out her closet. Lots of cute BCBG, Anthropologie, Banana Republic.

Also had pretty good luck at Volunteers. One thing that caught my eye was this chair.

$20 but I would guess it’ll get marked down again. It’s a project chair, it’ll need reupholstering due to cat scratches on the arms (I didn’t get close enough to know if that’s all the cat did to it). But it’s a pretty piece, interesting lines and seemed solid.

DonnaTate

asil wrote >>
    $20 but I would guess it’ll get marked down again. It’s a project chair, it’ll need reupholstering due to cat scratches on the arms (I didn’t get close enough to know if that’s all the cat did to it). But it’s a pretty piece, interesting lines and seemed solid.

I’ve always wanted to try my hand at reupholstering

patient_zero
    Participant

Last week I bought a medium sized George Foreman grill for just $10.10, and it look unused. This will be handy grilling in small quantities.

I’ve had no success at finding an orange Skybus Airlines shirt. There were once several on the racks.

BpG
    Participant

This is relevant to my interests.

Lakee911
    Participant

Keep in mind that store bought curtains (at least good ones) should be flame retardent. What you make from bed linens won’t be. I know that no one plans on setting their house on fire…

So, if you make pillows out of curtains, should the pillows match the carpet? :)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: