Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Thrift Store Score

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Thrift Store Score

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • Author

Mercurius
    Participant

I go quite a bit, usually with my sister-in-law. I’ve probably scored 50 vintage ties, most are all silk, skinny and from designers like Christian Dior and Brioni. Talking about $150 ties that I’m getting for 50 cents. I also found a really great set of Mikasa Blue Point dishes. I always look at suits but don’t usually find much. My favorites are the two on Alum Creek right across from each other, south of Bexley. A general rule is the further from campus and out of hipster bicycle range, the better.

Patch
    Participant

I wanted to let everyone know that I put these recommendations on a googlemap, here is the link if you would like to use it:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=105541430788577777310.00047ec880a7987357749&z=10

Feel free to add to it.

cc

Patch wrote >>
    I wanted to let everyone know that I put these recommendations on a googlemap, here is the link if you would like to use it:
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=105541430788577777310.00047ec880a7987357749&z=10
    Feel free to add to it.

The goodwill marked in grandview is a training center not a store.

asil
    Participant

Patch wrote >>
    Feel free to add to it.

Sweet, thanks!

I added the Trading Post in Grandview. It’s a little gem tucked into the basement of the annex building behind First Community Church at the corner of Cambridge and First. When little old ladies from Grandview and Arlington clean out their closets this is where it goes. Mostly old clothes, shoes, purses and jewelry. I’ve found some awesome bakelite pieces there and vintag-y purses.

ETA: I think they’re only open 10 AM – 4 PM Monday through Saturday.

asil
    Participant

TaraK wrote >>
    On the topic of linens, I’d also remember that sheets can be fashioned into curtains or curtains into pillows.

Curtains into pillows is an especially great idea!

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I’m gonna hit the thrift so hard at the end of this month if my tax return ends up being anything juicy.

Gonna hit the vintage stores too, so excited.

It’s weird, but I’ve found that vintage clothes usually fit me better than new ones? Not sure why that is.

Patch
    Participant

cc wrote >>

The goodwill marked in grandview is a training center not a store.

Cool, thanks for letting me know, I removed it.

patient_zero
    Participant

Otterbein College, soon to be renamed Otterbein University has a nice little thrift store near the park. Hours are Wednesday and Saturday, 12-5.

The Otterbein College Thrift Store, managed by the Westerville Women’s Club, provides a place where the Otterbein and Westerville communities can practice reusing unwanted items. The thrift store has also a partnership with the Westerville Area Resource Ministry, a choice pantry, to allow clients to receive goods at further discounted prices. Items not sold in the thrift store are sent to mission churches in Southern Ohio. All proceeds from the thrift store are donated by the Westerville Women’s Club to the College in the form of scholarships.

Women’s Club Thrift Store Building #60 on campus
    177 W.Park St 823-1444

alison

I rarely buy clothes, since I’m an awkward size and I hate having to try on so many clothes to find a fit.

But I find a lot of raw material for crafting at thrift stores. Just last Friday I picked up three cashmere sweaters that — once felted — are becoming some of the more luxurious baby ttoys imaginable. 99 cents per sweater!

Tigertree

Niki and I, in front of the Louis Vuitton store in Vegas, were just reminiscing last week about the time we found an 1800’s Louis Vuitton steamship trunk in a thrift store for 40 dollars and did not buy it because we couldn’t fit it in the car. This was like 10 years ago, we had no idea what it was worth. That was probably a $30,000 mistake.

asil
    Participant

Tigertree wrote >>
    Niki and I, in front of the Louis Vuitton store in Vegas, were just reminiscing last week about the time we found an 1800’s Louis Vuitton steamship trunk in a thrift store for 40 dollars and did not buy it because we couldn’t fit it in the car. This was like 10 years ago, we had no idea what it was worth. That was probably a $30,000 mistake.

Ugh!! Who knew though?! That’s been the most interesting thing to me personally: I’ve acquired a little bit of a costume jewelry/vintage clothing/designer piece education while second hand shopping. You never know the hidden gem you’re going to run across, you just have to be able to identify it as such.

TaraK
    Participant

Is the VOA in GV good? Anyone know?

TaraK wrote >>
    Is the VOA in GV good? Anyone know?

Yes. It’s not a huge store, but what they have is pretty decent quality. I have found some very cute clothes and shoes there, and about once per visit I’ll happen along a designer item from Prada/Gucci/Coach/etc. I never buy it, but nice to know it’s available :)

Across the street is a Salvation Army. I don’t support them because of their bigoted practices and anti-gay stance, but if you are into supporting conservative Christianity then you should check it out. I’ve been inside and it is HUGE, but the selection tends to be shabby. Their big speciality is T-shirts. They have tons and tons and tons of T-shirts under $1. Also lots of housewares.

osulew wrote >>

Kbear919 wrote >>
    My Kitchen Aid mixer was one of my best finds. It was sans bowl and beater which santa brought me…

Ummmm…no nod to the vibrating seat cushion and 70’s era golf putting practice thingies? That’s quality business right thar.

did you want to play with all of my toys?

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Yesterday was half price day at all “Ohio” brand thrift stores, which is an extreme sport. I dominated. It was ridiculous– something like 5 or 6 bags of clothes for under 70 bucks. Every last Wednesday of the month is 1/2 price.

I’m moving to a big old drafty house with lots of windows soon and one thing that’s really cheap to do is buy a bunch of bedlinens, wash them and make them into curtains. I have almost got enough curtains to do 6 or 7 of those giant old floor-to-ceiling windows, cost me maybe 10 bucks, and the fabric quality is so much better than what I could have bought for 20 times as much money new.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: