Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Thinking of moving to Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Thinking of moving to Columbus

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

dcguy
    Participant

Hello

My wife and I are thinking of moving to Columbus from Washington DC. We’ve been priced out of the Single Family housing market hear and looking for a new place to call home with much lower cost of living. I have a remote job so we have some flexibility on where to live and we should take advantage of that.

We have a “scouting” trip to Columbus upcoming soon and plan to experience some of the city and see how we enjoy it. Short North, North Market, Clippers Game, German Village, Franklin Park Conservatory, etc. Between that trip and the research I’ve done on neighborhoods/housing stock from a real estate perspective we should have a lot more clarity.

But the one thing as an outsider I’m having trouble figuring out are potential commutes. Mainly because, outside of your downtown core, I don’t really know where most Columbus corporate jobs are concentrated. In DC jobs are overwhelming are downtown, along the red line subway, near the military institutions, a suburb called Tysons Corner and a along a suburban highway corridor that goes from Tysons to Dulles Airport. Is there any way to summarize where most job centers are in Columbus? Would a home in Old Town East, such as one of the beauties on Bryden Rd, be within a 30 minute commute of most jobs?

Appreciate any insights. This is a piece of the puzzle I can’t craft together without input from the locals.

Thanks,
    Paul

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Welcome to the board, Paul! There is no Red Line here.

If you’re working remotely you won’t have to mess with rush hour traffic but any destination you seek will be within 30 minutes at most. Check out our local parks and bike trails.

http://www.centralohiogreenways.com/

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

Move here? Do it!

Downtown is our primary job center, with several corporate hot spots along the northern I-270 outerbelt–Dublin, Worthington, Westerville and Easton–plus Polaris to the far north outskirts on I-71.

I’ve spent time in DC/NVa/MD and rush hour traffic here, although it can be dicey and difficult at times, is still nowhere near as bad as it is out there.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

any destination you seek will be within 30 minutes at most.

+1 on this.

While Columbus folk may complain about traffic and sprawl a lot, the truth is its a pretty efficient city to get around in. From my apartment on S. High I have commuted to Tuttle, Polaris, even Buckeye Lake for work and they were extremely manageable drives.

Matt Boyd
    Participant

My wife and I live in Dublin and she works in the heart of downtown Columbus. It takes her less than 30 minutes to get to work unless there is some sort of major accident. We don’t have anywhere near the traffic situation as DC.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

My wife and I are thinking of moving to Columbus from Washington DC.

Just out of curiosity… have either you or your wife spotted any of the #LifeInCBUS campaign signage promoted in DC over the past year?

http://lifeincbus.com

drew
    Participant

Commutes are ridiculously short here compared to most areas (DC in particular). If you’re looking to find a place that will minimize commute times without knowing where you’ll work, I’d move to the downtown area. That way, if you get a job downtown, you’re there, and if you get one in the northern burbs, you’re essentially doing a reverse commute (the vast majority of traffic is coming downtown in the am rush and going away from it in the pm rush).

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Funny thing is, both cities have a 270.

Mike88
    Participant

Commutes are ridiculously short here compared to most areas (DC in particular). If you’re looking to find a place that will minimize commute times without knowing where you’ll work, I’d move to the downtown area. That way, if you get a job downtown, you’re there, and if you get one in the northern burbs, you’re essentially doing a reverse commute (the vast majority of traffic is coming downtown in the am rush and going away from it in the pm rush).

This is spot on.

To echo the sentiments of those who have already posted here commutes here are ludicrously easy. I live in the Short North and work in New Albany and the longest my drive ever takes is 30 minutes even with traffic.

I have had a few friends move to Cbus after college from various parts of the country and all have absolutely loved it here. Hopefully you guys do as well!

wpcc88
    Participant

The best thing about Columbus is that everything is within 30 minutes.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

If you live near downtown your commute to any significant job center in Columbus will be at most 30 minutes. (I’m basing that on having worked for a while at Polaris, which is as far away from downtown as any major job around here.) Since most people commute into downtown, you’ll always be traveling against traffic, even in rush hour. Nearly everything else in Columbus is at most 15 minutes from downtown assuming normal traffic conditions.

The downside is that public transit here is not good EXCEPT if you live near downtown AND work near downtown, in which case (these days) you might not even need a car (there is good bus coverage near to downtown, and CoGo bike share and Car2Go car share can fill in the gap).

If you’re moving from DC, prepare to be amazed how low housing costs are here –don’t buy until you know the markets and neighborhoods a little, or else you’re likely to overpay without even realizing it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The best thing about Columbus is that everything is within 30 minutes.

I’d say 30 minutes *on average*.

Whenever I’ve driven to visit friends on North Sawmill after work on a Friday around 5pm, it can take a good 45-50 minutes from Downtown to slog up 315.

And driving from The KLD to 5xNW to pick up a pizza on a Friday around 6pm has turned into a 50-minute trek (25 mins each way) for me when there’s rush hour mixed with a convention or hockey game traffic.

Stringtown Road’s traffic has gotten progressively worse too, especially around rush hour.

Granted, I realize that traffic in other cities is much, much worse.

But yeah, everything in Columbus is within 30 minutes if you’re driving around town on a Tuesday at 10:30am. ;)

DeathStorm
    Participant

I lived in DC for four years (Alexandria, to be exact, the apartments next to the Eisenhower stop) so I can give you a good basis of comparison. I was born and raised here; the military sent me to work out there at The Pentagon.

I live is an eastern suburb called Gahanna but frequent a lot of places downtown, in Clintonville, and in the Short North, which is a cultural melting pot of food, shopping, and entertainment. The suburbs really make a difference in cost of living and as long as you stick to the northern and eastern sides of the city you’re easily able to get to other areas with easy access to freeways. I don’t mean any disrespect to the west and south sides of town but there are some shady areas and freeway access can be difficult. It goes without saying that the closer you are to downtown the higher the cost for a home will go. Areas like German Village, Short North, Upper Arlington, and Victorian/Italian Village bring big bucks for buyers. However, there is a big boom in “comeback” neighborhoods over the past few years. A lot of areas in Olde Town East are going through that now, since you specifically mentioned it. Columbus is being, arguably, a little more pro-active in their approach to demolishing vacant homes but it’s a slow process. If you’re willing to put money into some renovations, you can get a good property that you can make your own. A lot of people who post on here live closer to the downtown areas I mentioned but don’t discount suburbs like Gahanna, Westerville, Worthington, and Dublin. All feature historic homes and are some of the oldest communities in central Ohio. They are an easy 15-20 minute drive downtown, at most. This isn’t like 495 or 66 on a bad day – even with rush hour our commutes are much less and drivers aren’t as bad (although I do miss the Metro).

Most corporate jobs are going to be downtown but if you are in IT, insurance, or banking there is Polaris and Dublin (both north), which have big corporate hubs. Barring traffic, you can drive one side of 270 to the other in under 30 minutes, so it’s nothing like getting around DC. One thing you will notice is that we have a lot more construction than they do on 495/95/66. I noticed that 495 tends to do smaller areas, a few at a time. We have long stretches and lots of them. It sucks but you adapt.

Hope this helps. Good luck. You’ll like it here.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Living downtown and commuting to the burbs for work – in general, against traffic – shouldn’t be much of a headache. Friends in Clintonville work up in Polaris and report that the commute is simple. The other way around, well, it all depends. I know to colleagues who commute from New Albany to Ohio State and find the trip absolutely miserable, especially if there’s any hint of precipitation.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Hi Paul, welcome to Columbus! You don’t mention kids in your post. IF you have kids, or if kids are a possibility in the future, the burbs may be a better fit. I’ll get flamed for this, but there is still a huge gap in quality between Columbus City Schools and many of the suburban school districts. Here’s a starting point to research school districts:

http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Data/Accountability-Resources/Local-Report-Cards

One of the great things about Columbus, as I’m sure you’ve gleaned from most of the other replies, is you can get from place to place pretty easy. So you shouldn’t have to feel that you need to live downtown in order to have a reasonable commute.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION