Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Wood Companies Short North Apartment Building - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Wood Companies Short North Apartment Building – News & Updates

This topic contains 108 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  ilovethiscity 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 109 total)
  • Author

peter
    Participant

Columbus needs more parking challenges if we ever want to see a real need for building out better transit systems. It’s hard to justify if there’s wide roads and ample parking everywhere.

Correct. Parking in the Short North is laughably easy, even during peak times. Go 1-3 blocks east or west from High and there is TONS of parking everywhere. I do not understand how people complain about parking in the Short North.

Swanson614
    Participant

Pablo said:
    But where will those old guys park their van and hang out?

lol so true

goldenidea
    Participant

I do not understand how people complain about parking in the Short North.

Because a lot of mid-western people are not used to and don’t like to walk a block or more once, let alone on a regular basis. Also, those not familiar with the SN may not feel safe walking that far. And when the weather is bad, like when it’s raining, many are not prepared to walk that far.

There are times when the area around 2nd and High, and south from there, are very hard to find parking, especially west of High. I haven’t done a detailed count, but my thought is most of the new developments will put more cars on the street. The new development is good, but I’d like to see more (net) parking created within a block of or right on High St. I also think adding just 20-40 more cars to regular on-street parking may have a bigger impact on High St accessibility than one might think. Time will tell.

peanutnozone
    Participant

Because a lot of mid-western people are not used to and don’t like to walk a block or more once, let alone on a regular basis. Also, those not familiar with the SN may not feel safe walking that far. And when the weather is bad, like when it’s raining, many are not prepared to walk that far.

Cultural, environmental and demographic shifts may necessitate a mindset change. And safe? C’mon. Pfft. I’m not saying what you say is untrue because I certainly know quite a few people with said mindset. It’s been my experience that once you introduce someone to a different point of view they come to understand that walking a few blocks can be an enjoyable thing, it’s not dangerous like you would think (or the news would have you believe) and cities are awesome places and not cesspools of whatever evil that can be thought up.

Back on topic, that building is so great. It’s a new build but certainly pays homage to the past and fits in nicely with its surroundings. Wouldn’t mind have a second home there myself.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

goldenidea said:
    Because a lot of mid-western people are not used to and don’t like to walk a block or more once, let alone on a regular basis.

So we need to go our of our way to provide ample parking just because some people are used to it and lazy and resistant to change?

No thanks.

goldenidea
    Participant

It not just about laziness or reluctance to change, rather it can be a matter of practicality and convience. For example, if you live in a building where you frequently have to look for parking and have to walk a block or two or more to get home, that adds up to a lot of time. Time is valuable, so if parking was closer and availablity was certain, buildings that are able to offer that are more valuable.

Urban land in Columbus and in most midwest cities isn’t valuable enough to allow for really major high-rise development. There isn’t enough demand. So we can afford to add more parking to make urban living more convenient and attractive to those who chose it or are considering it. The option to convert this parking to more living and business space is there if demand can justify it.

peter
    Participant

Urban land in Columbus and in most midwest cities isn’t valuable enough to allow for really major high-rise development.

Ever wonder why?

ehill27
    Participant

@goldenidea – As Walker mentioned earlier, this project has it’s own indoor/first-level parking for tenants.

PS- Parking garages for public use are also being built at Hubbard & High (construction has started) and at the new Pizzuti hotel and office complex.

jbcmh81
    Participant

goldenidea said:
    It not just about laziness or reluctance to change, rather it can be a matter of practicality and convience. For example, if you live in a building where you frequently have to look for parking and have to walk a block or two or more to get home, that adds up to a lot of time. Time is valuable, so if parking was closer and availablity was certain, buildings that are able to offer that are more valuable.

Urban land in Columbus and in most midwest cities isn’t valuable enough to allow for really major high-rise development. There isn’t enough demand. So we can afford to add more parking to make urban living more convenient and attractive to those who chose it or are considering it. The option to convert this parking to more living and business space is there if demand can justify it.

Wouldn’t those considerations be something people moving to urban settings have already thought about? If parking is a prime concern, you move to the suburbs or to a residential development where you expect to be driving. Moving to the Short North or neighborhoods like it, one should be prepared for at least some lack of parking in close proximity to their place of residence. And no doubt, lack of having to drive everywhere in the first place is one of the attractions to urban neighborhoods.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I got a quick tour of some of the unfinished (but nearly complete!) units at the Wood Cos building today. The finishes seem to be all of condo-quality, so they’re going very high end with these apartment units. Layouts of both 1 & 2 bedrooms are spacious, private balconies on the south-west side of the building are great, and the second-story rooftop terrace has a great view of Downtown.

I snapped a few quick iPhone photos of the view from overhanging corner unit on the fourth floor, which has a great panoramic view looking north and northwest toward OSU, and south down High to Downtown.

columbusmike
    Participant

Sheesh, look at all that prime property White Castle is sitting on…..

I think an urban, upscale, White Castle restaurant would do really well to buck their trend of being thought of as a truck stop fast food joint to OSU students.

cadillackid
    Participant

I love this building.. what a great addition to what I thought previously was an ugly single story building.. I like the fact the short north is building upward in recent years… all this development makes me wish I could live in the SN area again…. but alas im tied to a worthless suburban house for the rest of my life… <sigh>..
    -Christopher

Graybeak
    Participant

Walker said:
    So we need to go our of our way to provide ample parking just because some people are used to it and lazy and resistant to change?

No thanks.

So, we need go out of our way to limit parking just because some people don’t want it and want to force mass transit solutions that no government wants to implement or pay for?

No thanks. ;)

jbcmh81
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    So, we need go out of our way to limit parking just because some people don’t want it and want to force mass transit solutions that no government wants to implement or pay for?

No thanks. ;)

So your solution is the status quo of the last 60 years that actively worked to destroy these neighborhoods.

Sooner or later, auto enthusiasts are just going to have to be honest. A large amount of auto-centric infrastructure kills vibrant, urban neighborhoods.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Graybeak said:

No thanks. ;)

Just keep the city in the city and the suburbs in the suburbs, and everyone will be happy. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 109 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Join us for the Beer & Pretzel Pairing Party on November 3rd featuring Combustion Brewing & Happy Little Treats!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO