Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Wood Companies Short North Apartment Building - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Wood Companies Short North Apartment Building – News & Updates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 109 total)
  • Author

heresthecasey
    Participant

It really looks great and also does a lot for improving the urban ‘feel’ through that part of the SN. Excellent addition to the neighborhood!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

New construction photo from the side of the building:

Construction Roundup: Nov 2012 Part 2

goldenidea
    Participant

Great developement; it even cleverly carries the theme of the buildings across High Street. One concern: parking. Recognizing there’s some spaces within and beside the building, I assume that can’t be enough.

Isn’t SNBA working on an initative to cobble together enough parcels to build a garage? That can’t happen soon enough.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

goldenidea said:
    Isn’t SNBA working on an initative to cobble together enough parcels to build a garage? That can’t happen soon enough.

There’s two garages in development, one at The Joseph and one at the Hubbard, each with some private and some public parking.

Short North Boutique Hotel to Begin Construction This Summer

The Hubbard Apartments to Rise Over The Short North

columbusmike
    Participant

Columbus is getting to the point where better public transportation could lead to more development without a 1-1 ratio (or sometimes 2-1) of parking to units.

Saint Murrays
    Participant

Rode by here the other day, man do I love the look of the building. Really fits in with the neighborhood and enhances the urban feel.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Something needs to happen with the massive White Castle parking lot next door. Happy to have them in the neighborhood, but what a terrible site plan for that prime lot.

columbusmike
    Participant

heresthecasey said:
    Something needs to happen with the massive White Castle parking lot next door. Happy to have them in the neighborhood, but what a terrible site plan for that prime lot.

I’m surprised White Castle hasn’t tried a more “urban” restaurant concept here. Sell the lot to a developer and put in a storefront White Castle. Might be too classy for them….

goldenidea
    Participant

goldenidea said:

There’s two garages in development, one at The Joseph and one at the Hubbard, each with some private and some public parking.

I’m aware of these additions but wonder if that’s enough. Also, timing is important. I assume the Wood’s building will soon be ready to lease. That’s going to bring, what perhaps 60 more cars into that area of High Street every night? With Northstar and all the other existing activity, where will those cars go? The Joseph and Hubbard garages are years away opening.

Pablo
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    I’m surprised White Castle hasn’t tried a more “urban” restaurant concept here. Sell the lot to a developer and put in a storefront White Castle. Might be too classy for them….

But where will those old guys park their van and hang out?

mbeaumont
    Participant

Actually, I believe they both open next year.

goldenidea
    Participant

Given that WC’s HQ is only blocks away, they must be well aware of the potential of that site. Similar to Fireproof, it’s probably only a matter of time before they redevelop it (again). Perhaps they lack experience creating a more urban development so there a lag in the conversion. It is curious how that WC, despite now being in an much for affluent market, hasn’t changed its customer base.

BTW, the Fireproof development seems behind schedule. Once that gets underway, that parking also disappears. That’s will bring another 15 or so cars per night on to the streets.

goldenidea
    Participant

Actually, I believe they both open next year.

I hope you’re right. I haven’t timed most of these developments, but they seem to take longer than a year.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

goldenidea said:
    I’m aware of these additions but wonder if that’s enough. Also, timing is important. I assume the Wood’s building will soon be ready to lease. That’s going to bring, what perhaps 60 more cars into that area of High Street every night? With Northstar and all the other existing activity, where will those cars go? The Joseph and Hubbard garages are years away opening.

Where are you getting the number 60? The retail is already there, and the build out includes 24 new apartment units and 24 new parking spots:

Wood Companies New Short North Apartments Going Skyward

Columbus needs more parking challenges if we ever want to see a real need for building out better transit systems. It’s hard to justify if there’s wide roads and ample parking everywhere.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 109 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: