Our City Online

Messageboard - TV

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Walking Dead on AMC

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion TV The Walking Dead on AMC

This topic contains 662 replies, has 83 voices, and was last updated by  CivilE 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 663 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

I am continually amazed at the ability of the female characters to keep their eyebrows neatly groomed & the rest of their bodies otherwise hair-free during the Zombie Apocalypse.

Maybe it’s the same people that keep the lawns mowed. Post-apocalypse ninja beautician landscapers.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

This didn’t me immediately as the episode ended, but some of the reviews/recaps I’ve read are pointing out that the end result of this Hospital arc is pretty much nothing. They were going for Beth, and Beth died at the last second. The lead cop in charge was killed, but there were still other bad cops there to replace her. There were no character arcs resolved with the double-death that occurred at the end there. Everyone just left kinda sad.

Is the whole point that there is no point? The DC trip was a sham, and the Hospital rescue mission was a failure. The church is overrun. Where do you go next?

I’ve been enjoying this season more than any other prior, but the aimlessness/helplessness that the characters are often facing isn’t really all that gripping as a viewer sometimes. Is there an end goal beyond just surviving as long as possible? Will the show just keep going as long as there are new cast members to rotate in and out… like a soap opera?

GeeDee
    Participant

Is the whole point that there is no point? The DC trip was a sham, and the Hospital rescue mission was a failure. The church is overrun. Where do you go next?

I can’t remember what exactly makes me think so, but I thought scenes for the next half of the season hint at some conflict within the ranks regarding what to do next and/or long term. I could be totally imagining that (or hoping for it).

Now that the season is half over, I’ve found this to be the weakest season so far. I’m one of those who actually liked Season 2, the Governor’s story line, etc. Overall, I have few complaints about the show (although they are growing).

But, the writing team seems to be running out of ideas & when they did seize on something this season it was handled clumsily.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I can’t remember what exactly makes me think so, but I thought scenes for the next half of the season hint at some conflict within the ranks regarding what to do next and/or long term. I could be totally imagining that (or hoping for it).

I believe you’re correct:

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

So apparently the key to being a black guy on this show is just never, ever be on the show (Morgan).

Odds on how long the preacher lives?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Ugh. Are they just killing off the best characters for fun to torment the audience?

At least Tyrese got one of the most interesting deaths out of anyone in a long time. Those hallucinations of previously axed character reminded me a lot of LOST, which was nice.

But yeah… this episode felt like a throwaway. The characters explore a dead-end idea and end up back where they started minus one person.

Also… I was kinda pissed off that they managed to just WARP 500 miles to their Virginia destination after spending five and a half seasons putzing around the Atlanta Metro Area. HEY NOW WE’RE FAR AWAY. Ok, thanks?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

GeeDee
    Participant

Now that the season is half over, I’ve found this to be the weakest season so far.

My opinion has changed. These last 3 episodes have been among the best yet, especially last week’s & 3 weeks ago. Alexandria has breathed some new life into the show & helped make up for what I still think was a badly done hospital arc.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Alexandria has breathed some new life into the show & helped make up for what I still think was a badly done hospital arc.

+1 to that

I’ve given this show a lot of shit, but I’d say right now is the best its ever been.

Only problem is that a lot of the minor characters are given practically nothing to do (I’m looking at you, Maggie, and I could care less about Sasha’s inner turmoil). But that’s ok because the ones who do have stuff to do (Rick, Carol, Daryl) are going through some very interesting changes.

jOHnH
    Participant

I’m on the other end of the spectrum on last weeks episode, I thought it was pretty weak. I guess everything finally came to a boil, but since they are keeping true to TWD theme of dragging story lines out, we expected pretty much everything to unravel at some point, it didn’t seem like much happened until the tail end of the episode. I have found myself becoming very annoyed with the series since they tend to slowly move through episodes and seasons and then leave you hanging with a suspenseful season finally. Example, I bet we find out about the “W” in all of the walker’s heads next week, and I bet we don’t see that story line until the last 10mins of the episode. I don’t know maybe it is me being a grumpy old guy, but they develop characters for an entire season, then we don’t see or hear from them for another season.

You know what really grinds my gears, we just going to ignore the Father Gabrial revelation? Leave us hanging and drag out a story the TWD way.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

There’s definitely things I like about this season…and things I don’t. Maybe the group is too big, because I miss time spent with the characters I really like in favor of characters like Sasha and Carl who I have no interest in at all. Carol’s move to straight up sociopath was interesting and Rick continuing to believe if he doesn’t lead everyone his way all will be lost is good stuff. I’m not sure the Father Gabriel stuff means much, its just one more seed planted in the head of Deanna that the group is bad news.

Oh…and where the hell is Morgan???

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I guess everything finally came to a boil, but since they are keeping true to TWD theme of dragging story lines out, we expected pretty much everything to unravel at some point, it didn’t seem like much happened until the tail end of the episode.

I think the pacing for this season (and the second half of last season) has been pretty good. You have to have some slower downtimes to make the intense bits more exciting. Rick’s slow-boil to crazy person has been well paced. I thought Season 1 was completely too rushed and Season 2 was dragging things out (the whole first half was searching for Sophia and the whole second half was arguing about whether or not they should leave the farm). Breaking Bad was the master of the slow boil. There were some downright sleepy episodes of that show from time to time because they were building to something really intense. I don’t think TWD is in the same class as BB, but I can appreciate them at least doing a better job.

I don’t know maybe it is me being a grumpy old guy, but they develop characters for an entire season, then we don’t see or hear from them for another season.

They could certainly work on this balance a lot. The DC-trio haven’t had a whole lot to do since they found out DC was a lie. They’re secondary or tertiary characters at this point. Which is probably for the best because the show would slow down even more if they were given a lot more to do and screen time was pulled away from the more interesting stories.

You know what really grinds my gears, we just going to ignore the Father Gabrial revelation?

That guy has been worthless from day one. His backstory is paper thin and his role of “frightened flounderer” has served no purpose. With Tyrese and Noah gone now, I think he’s the only black male character in the cast. Which makes it even more disappointing with the history this show has had with minority characters.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Finale was hit and miss, the hits were particularly good though I thought. Introduction of The Wolves, the town finally getting it, Abraham and Eugene, and of course MORGAN!

I just can’t care at all about Gabriel or Sasha though and the stuff with dude trying to kill Glenn seemed completely off the tracks.

DeathStorm
    Participant

I rather enjoyed the cliffhangers of the finale – not the overall story line hangers, of which there aren’t many, but the ones inside the episode like Darryl being trapped and Glen’s zombie pile. And Jedi master Morgan was impressive.

Overall I’m just not feeling Alexandria. It’s making them all crazy but I feel the whole city is side tracking what was already becoming a good survival story, again. Every time the pacing picks up the series side tracks into mellow. The Alexandria characters are annoying and despite there being a dozen or so residents we really only know half (one of which is dead now). I understand Alexandria can provide a turn for calmer waters and more character development but I want to see some action and it feels like adventures have to be forced into the episodes. Why put that force there to begin with? Just take Alexandria away and let the zombies happen.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

…and of course MORGAN!

I hope the long drawn-out wait has been worth it. My first thought was this:

Second thought was that Morgan = Donatello and Michonne = Leonardo. All we need now are additions to the group who wield nunchaku and sai to fight zombies.

Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 663 total)

The forum ‘TV’ is closed to new topics and replies.