Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Value of Urban Street Trees

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The Value of Urban Street Trees

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • Author

ehill27
    Participant

It would be nice if replacement trees were an automatic process, but not so much. I will say that the city has been very responsive to our requests for replacement trees.

Nancy H
    Participant

It would be nice if replacement trees were an automatic process, but not so much.

They might have a total tree count somewhere, and a list of varieties, but from what I can tell they have no idea where trees were removed, died, hit by a car, etc. Kind of like burned out street light. They depend on the citizens to call when one is out, rather than hiring people to drive around at night looking for burned out bulbs. They also depend on us to notify them about wanting a tree planted or removed.

At best, they look at the trees in any particular area about every five years. And that is to see if they need to be trimmed for obstructing power lines. At that time they also mark dead/damaged ones for removal (blue X) and big ones for injection with a growth hormone (blue dot).

A bit of notice to those of you getting a new street tree – the City does not look after them. So, be prepared to water it if needed. And, if a street tree has minor storm damage or needs a little trimming you might as well just do it yourself (on a Saturday or Sunday, when none of the City guys are out and about). They will come out for major damage after a storm, but the little stuff never gets done.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

It would be nice if replacement trees were an automatic process, but not so much.

They might have a total tree count somewhere, and a list of varieties, but from what I can tell they have no idea where trees were removed, died, hit by a car, etc. Kind of like burned out street light. They depend on the citizens to call when one is out, rather than hiring people to drive around at night looking for burned out bulbs. They also depend on us to notify them about wanting a tree planted or removed.

I would assume that, and agree with that in most cases, but the trees they took out near me were marked as dead Ash trees, so the city knew they were removing them, and a plan to replace them would have been great. Maybe there is one, I don’t know, but after two years, I’m guessing not. ;)

It’s kind of like the drivers of the trash trucks that pick up dumpsters, they could just call in a bulk pickup if they see dumped stuff by a dumpster that they are not going to pick up, but instead they just leave it. It’s sad people can’t think to go the extra (is it even extra if it takes a second?) for their job, especially to keep a clean city.

/rant over

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

UPDATE: I was very excited for my tree from the city to be put in. And even more excited when they came and marked the spot where it will go. Not nearly as excited now that I was told from 311 that it might take around two years before it’s planted. :(

honestlyinsincere
    Participant

Wow! Thanks for the update–that’s too bad. I suppose the upside is that they’re very busy planting trees! If you happen to live in Weinland Park, you might be able to get something sooner with the opening of the tree nursery there.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

…it might take around two years before it’s planted. :(

Bwa? That’s kind of ridiculous. I can’t imagine the wait list is already that long?

jbcmh81
    Participant

I would think that it would make sense to get some neighborhood volunteers together to do some of the planting. It’s basically a community project to begin with. 2 years… most people could plant their own on a Saturday.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div>
    …it might take around two years before it’s planted. :(

Bwa? That’s kind of ridiculous. I can’t imagine the wait list is already that long?

this is the copy/paste from the email.

Thank you for contacting the 311 Service Center. The Forestry Division works on the request from the oldest to the most current request. It may take up to two years before you see a tree planted due to the back log of requests. We ask for your patience at this time but rest assured your address is on the list for a tree to be planted within the public right of way. If you have any further concerns please e-mail us or contact our 311 Service Center, Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. at 645-3111 or if you are an SBC/ATT customer with a land line phone or Warner Cable or Sprint phone customers just dial 311.

Regards,
    311 Service Center/pz

I hope the white spray paint mark for where to plant can make it 2 years…

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

At my previous house, I just planted a tree in my devil strip about 12 years ago. It’s still there. The city electric company comes by to trim it away from the street lamp wires every few years.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

I would suggest you purchase and plant your own tree, waiting for forestry to get its act together is a dead end. It is one of the most underfunded depts in the city, part of Rec and Parks, but primarily responsible for streets (not part of Rec and Parks)…they received some minimal funding from transportation for years, I think that has since disappeared.

This street tree program is another election year feel good story, the reality is the city plants substandard trees, does not nurture or maintain them, and they are short little door-knobs that get replaced every 10-30 years.

ehill27
    Participant

from what I can tell they have no idea where trees were removed

This wasn’t clear in my post, but I was referring to trees that the City removes.

We had to put in one request to remove a dead tree, and then had to wait for it to be removed before we could place a request to replace it. Seems sort of silly.

As for timeline, they did tell us it would take up to two years to remove, but I believe it was just over a year in the end.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

This street tree program is another election year feel good story, the reality is the city plants substandard trees, does not nurture or maintain them, and they are short little door-knobs that get replaced every 10-30 years.

What exactly is “substandard” about the trees? I’ve noticed a number of expensive and rarer varieties being planted and there is a good bit of variety in the species. I’ve seen bald cypress, disease resistant American Elm, post oak, bur oak, goldenrain trees, zelkova, pagoda trees, katsura, saw-tooth oak, lacebark elms, European hornbeam, beech, just to name a few. It’s pretty diverse, not just your typical ash, maple, ash, maple that you see in places like Dublin.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

What exactly is “substandard” about the trees? I’ve noticed a number of expensive and rarer varieties being planted and there is a good bit of variety in the species. I’ve seen bald cypress, disease resistant American Elm, post oak, bur oak, goldenrain trees, zelkova, pagoda trees, katsura, saw-tooth oak, lacebark elms, European hornbeam, beech, just to name a few. It’s pretty diverse, not just your typical ash, maple, ash, maple that you see in places like Dublin.

…As for timeline, they did tell us it would take up to two years to remove, but I believe it was just over a year in the end.

That’s kind of what happens when you let a city sprawl to 223 sq miles without sufficient density: too many road miles per person to deal with.

Pablo
    Participant

They City has also been swamped with dead Ash trees – they’ve had to cut down 10’s of 1000’s of them over the past several years. Our neighbor’s pear trees have been marked with a blue X but the City doesn’t expect to get to them for another year since they’re still alive.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Once I heard the city forester say they had 1,200 ash to cut down.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER