Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Value of Urban Street Trees

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The Value of Urban Street Trees

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 81 total)
  • Author

WJT
    Participant

Here is a recent article from the Urbanophile and part of it has to do with street trees and how they can make even dense residential districts have a different feel.

http://www.urbanophile.com/2015/09/14/when-high-density-is-humane-chicago-edition/

He also has a similar article relating to New York. http://www.urbanophile.com/2015/08/21/when-high-density-is-humane/

Street trees do help to humanize things even in the most congested and dense areas.

Also, for some reason, I think trees planted along and close to streets seem to make people drive a little slower. Not sure why I think that though.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Were you around in the 80s when they planted trees in iron jackets like that along High street opposite campus? Drunks snapped all of them off.

Nancy H
    Participant

… for some reason, I think trees planted along and close to streets seem to make people drive a little slower.

Makes it harder for visitors to read house numbers or find their friend’s residence? ;)

WJT
    Participant

Were you around in the 80s when they planted trees in iron jackets like that along High street opposite campus? Drunks snapped all of them off.

Yes. I went to OSU in the eighties. I guess they just needed to have higher better tree guards? (electrified metal maybe for the drunken sh*ts who did that?)

Maybe invest in more mature trees with a greater caliper better able to resist drunken attempts to snap them and maybe some cameras to record the drunken idiots attempting to damage them, and charge them with a crime and make them pay for the damage when/if caught and convicted in areas where drunks congregate and do such things? Why let the drunken idiots win?

Makes it harder for visitors to read house numbers or find their friend’s residence? ;)

Well they should be going slowly anyway to do that, if they are first time visitors or so-if not, they should already know the location. ;)

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Well, there’s Honey Locust, a tree that defies you to mess with it

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

My pictures from the Branch Out kickoff have too much sun/shade contrast, but here’s one that shows the scene.

There was a funny incident when Coleman was speaking. A school bus dropped some kids off a block away, then rolled by on 8th behind the audience. The driver slowed to a crawl to check out why there was a crowd in an empty lot, and little kids were looking out the windows. So I yelled at them “It’s the Mayor!” Then all these little cheers and waving arms came out of the windows, and Coleman stopped his speech to acknowledge them. And then the audience turned around to wave back at the kids on the bus.

Crafty guy, he grabbed the opportunity to add that those little kids will be the ones to benefit from the trees they plan to plant now.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Looking forward to the day (in 50 more years) when all streets in Columbus can look as good as this one in Grandview:

sruckus
    Participant

Neil Ave in Victorian Village to OSU is pretty great looking too. It’s going to be beautiful as the leaves change.

News
    Participant

Why Urban Trees Solve Most of Our Problems
    Posted: 09/24/2015 5:31 pm EDT Updated: 09/24/2015 9:59 pm EDT

Trees cover an estimated 20.9 million acres of urban land in the continental United States. That’s 3,659 square feet of urban forest per city dweller–about the size of a not-so-modest four-bedroom house.

But trees are not equally distributed across American cities. Studies have shown that there is a higher demand for trees in wealthy neighborhoods. Conversely, areas with a higher proportion of African Americans, low-income residents, and renters have less tree cover.

READ MORE: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sierra-club/why-urban-trees-solve-mos_b_8191418.html

hummelkd
    Participant

Does anyone know if the city will sell trees to residents at a reduced cost? I live in King Lincoln District and we could definitely use some trees on our street!

honestlyinsincere
    Participant

The city will plant trees on your street if there’s space in the right of way. Visit https://311.columbus.gov/311_main.aspx to make a request. The website, in my opinion, is not user-friendly. I ended up searching for ‘tree’ and came to “Request street trees along your street” after a bit of digging.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

The city will plant trees on your street if there’s space in the right of way. Visit https://311.columbus.gov/311_main.aspx to make a request. The website, in my opinion, is not user-friendly. I ended up searching for ‘tree’ and came to “Request street trees along your street” after a bit of digging.

Because of this post I am getting a tree planted in front of my house by the City. Thanks so much for finding that link/page.

Nancy H
    Participant

Because of this post I am getting a tree planted in front of my house by the City. Thanks so much for finding that link/page.

Congrats. Will they plant it this fall? And, did you get to pick the type of tree? I know there is a recommended street tree list, but curious if you get to pick the variety.

Although the site is not all that user friendly, the response time is great. I have used it three times, since April, and each request was responded to and/or fixed within days.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Congrats. Will they plant it this fall? And, did you get to pick the type of tree? I know there is a recommended street tree list, but curious if you get to pick the variety.

Although the site is not all that user friendly, the response time is great. I have used it three times, since April, and each request was responded to and/or fixed within days.

I don’t know any details. All I know is they spray painted on the curb where they are going to plant, and left a door hanger on my front door saying we had been marked for planting.

I hope it’s soon.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I just put in a request to replace trees that were removed 2 years ago, we’ll see if they do it!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 81 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER