Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Value of Urban Street Trees

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The Value of Urban Street Trees

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

this is a pro-development, properly rights town, any fool can cut down any tree on “his” property….it would be great if the city would actually maintain their street trees, in many neighborhoods they are mangled and damaged and look like a Dr. Seuss creation.

Nancy H
    Participant

If you report a damaged or dead street tree the City will trim or remove it. You can do so by calling 311 or use the online form.

The street trees are kind of like the street lights. There is no City employee who drives around at night looking for burned out bulbs. They rely on citizens to call and tell them a street light is out (or a tree needs attention).

During the process of getting bids to cut down my tree, a guy from AEP knocked on the door one morning informing me they were going to be trimming trees on our street in July and the one in my front yard would be trimmed because limbs were interfering with the utility lines. I promptly added trimming for the utility lines to the work I was having done. I was already having some dead limbs removed and one big limb that was too close to the eaves. AEP only trims trees around the lines every five years. That means they cut the last five years growth and what they “think” will be the next five years limb growth. They really butcher the street trees.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Zelkova Serrata ‘Green Vase’ is supposed to be a good urban large street/yard tree and is hardy here. Are any being planted anywhere in Cbus? It also sort of resembles the old Elms which used to grace our streets before Dutch Elm Disease.

I have had ‘Kieffer’ Pears at my homes for the last 25 years, and have not had any problems with them, and have one next to my street now. No disease, but the fruit is huge and hard, best used cooked. Resistant to many insects because they are so hard(and stay that way unless you leave them to rot). Biggest problem I ever had was neighborhood heathen children grabbing them and using them as weapons in street wars. (get off my lawn!).

We planted a few Zelkova Green Vase in our yard last fall. I loved them when I saw the three on Gay Street along the parking lot at 3rd and Gay and they are so pretty. Those look sculpted though.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

this is a pro-development, properly rights town, any fool can cut down any tree on “his” property….it would be great if the city would actually maintain their street trees, in many neighborhoods they are mangled and damaged and look like a Dr. Seuss creation.

I would take Dr. Seuss over Tim Burton style trees. I have no idea why people hire yahoos to cut their trees in this manner, but they do this so frequently in northeast Ohio!

Nancy H
    Participant

Too bad I didn’t see that photo before I had the abused/dying/leaning over the house walnut tree cut down! Of course mine would not have been nearly as cute and fluffy on the ends. Over the years it had been subjected to too much do-it-yourself tree trimming. It looked like a 45 foot tall lollypop on a twisted stick.

Seriously though… other than Ailanthus trees, what kind of tree would live through that kind of trimming.

News
    Participant

City of Columbus Announces Plans to Plant 300,000 New Trees by 2020
    September 14, 2015 4:28 pm – Walker Evans

Columbus city and civic leaders are expected to gather tomorrow afternoon to announce “Branch Out Columbus” — a new program that will oversee the goal of planting 300,000 new trees throughout the city by the year 2020.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/planting-trees-in-columbus-ohio

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I scooped you a few hours ago on another thread. Anyway, this is an interesting project and if all goes well it will make a difference in ~20 years.

I might have buckeyes to share at the event. Walker, will someone from CU be there?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

…and another thing, Walker, can you find the before-and-after set of pics of the Short North when the trees were installed? Something like ~1990 bare brick fronts vs. ~2010 shaded street.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Walker, will someone from CU be there?

No, we’ve got a pretty full schedule tomorrow. The notice for these kinds of events only come with like 24 hours notice. :P

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

I will never forget the letter the city arborist sent to our house accusing us of killing the city tree in easement at side walk. Only problem…. Tree had bike tire grown into it and disease. Neighbors had called for years. I would be excited about new trees but the city won’t take care of them. (The above tree was in Victorian Village. It’s worse in the neighborhoods that don’t exist!)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I will never forget the letter the city arborist sent to our house accusing us of killing the city tree in easement at side walk. Only problem…. Tree had bike tire grown into it and disease. Neighbors had called for years. I would be excited about new trees but the city won’t take care of them. (The above tree was in Victorian Village. It’s worse in the neighborhoods that don’t exist!)

While things like sidewalks are in the public easement / right-of-way on individual property, they are the responsibility of the property owner to maintain (repairs, snow removal, etc).

I’m 90% sure the same thing goes for trees that are on your property, but fall within the easement along the street edge.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cbussmallbiz wrote:</div>

While things like sidewalks are in the public easement / right-of-way on individual property, they are the responsibility of the property owner to maintain (repairs, snow removal, etc).

I’m 90% sure the same thing goes for trees that are on your property, but fall within the easement along the street edge.

No the city is responsible for trimming and care of trees between the side walk and street. They also belong to the city as property. Call 311 next time. So quick to dismiss.

Nancy H
    Participant

No the city is responsible for trimming and care of trees between the side walk and street. They also belong to the city as property. Call 311 next time.

Trees planted between the public sidewalk and street are the City’s property. But they don’t have the staff or budget to look after them. Hopefully the neighborhoods that get all these new street trees will think of them as gifts and cherish them. Calling 311 because a tree is dead or in need of trimming is one thing. But, it is a whole lot easier to just water a parched street tree than make a bunch of phone calls and hope they get to it before the tree dies.

The Short North street trees were paid for via capital improvements but the Short North Business Association paid for looking after them. For many years, they paid the Martha Walker Garden Club to water and trim them. The SNBA also paid to have damaged ones replaced. Those decorative metal guards don’t do much to stop a car that jumps the curb. The SN SID (now part of SNA) removed the guards as the trees grew and periodically cuts back the grates as the tree trunks grow in diameter. That is why 25 years later the SN has nice looking street trees. Same goes for many parts of IV & VV. If the residents appreciat them, they help look after them. I don’t know about other neighborhoods…

Nancy H
    Participant

…and another thing, Walker, can you find the before-and-after set of pics of the Short North when the trees were installed? Something like ~1990 bare brick fronts vs. ~2010 shaded street.

I don’t recall a set of before and after, but here is a before, early and after of the building that is home to Rigsby’s Restaurant.

Top photo would have been around 1982. There is a car going southbound on High. Rigsby’s is now right across from that, where you see the insulbrick on the storefront. Bollinger Tower is “under construction” in the left side of the photo.

Middle photo would have been taken around 1985. This was taken shortly after the street trees were planted, brick pavers installed along the curb (for easy access to utility lines) and sidewalks repaired/replaced.

Lower photo is within the last 2 or 3 years.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Thanks! Those aren’t exactly the pictures I was thinking of, but they do show the effect. It hurts to look at that old bare street.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER