Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Sycamore - New German Village Restaurant & Bar

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining The Sycamore – New German Village Restaurant & Bar

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

The Sycamore Relaunching as New German Village Restaurant

Published on May 13, 2013 9:20 am

By: Walker

If you’ve lived for any amount of time in German Village, then chances are that you’ve at least contemplated venturing inside the Sycamore Cafe, located at the corner of Sycamore and Sixth Streets. Perhaps you’ve even set foot inside it once or twice. Well, starting later this summer, everyone will have a reason to venture inside when it reopens as a new neighborhood restaurant and bar.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/the-sycamore-relaunching-as-newest-german-village-hangout

ScottUlrich
    Participant

I live in German Village and have been walking by here pretty often to check on the progress. Up until yesterday, there was no visible progress, but then BOOM! Sunday I finally saw the doors open and heard the sweet sound of power tools. Noticed new studs in the back and plywood floor base exposed. Looked like the apartments above were also being renovated…?

johnwashere
    Participant

I also walk by a lot checking on the progress. I saw a couple days ago the windows were covered in paper. They now have a sign the says Coming soon: The Sycamore with a logo (I believe it was an umbrella). Im very excited they have finally began working on this place!

News
    Participant

First Look: The Sycamore
    Published on November 3, 2013 8:00 am
    By: Walker

The Sycamore’s layout takes a shotgun approach where multiple partitions are sectioned off on scaling platforms as you venture backward into the building. Snug booths hug the exposed brick walls while a tight bar and tabletop setup provide easy opportunities for conversing with your neighbors.

PHOTOS: https://www.columbusunderground.com/first-look-the-sycamore

News
    Participant

Revamped Sycamore opens in German Village
    By GARY SEMAN JR.
    ThisWeek Community News
    Monday November 4, 2013 3:45 PM

Chris Crader said he didn’t want his third German Village venture to be too complicated. He describes the Sycamore, his latest project, simply as a “neighborhood tavern with great food.” “I didn’t want it to be too far in any one direction,” Crader said. “I just wanted it to be a casual restaurant that’s tastefully designed, not fitting any trend.”

READ MORE: http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/2013/11/07/revamped-sycamore-opens-in-german-village.html

News
    Participant

Restaurant review: The Sycamore opens strong and to raucous crowds
    By G.A. Benton
    From the November 21, 2013 edition

Have you noticed that a new high-profile restaurant seems to be opening every week lately? Yeah, it’s like a historical blockbuster season for the Columbus restaurant scene. This brings up a question: How many next-big-thing eateries can our ’burg support? Based on the hordes swarming into the tight quarters of the righteously rehabbed and currently raucous Sycamore, i.e. the Harvest Pizzeria owners’ answer to The Rossi, I’d say evermore.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusalive.com/content/stories/2013/11/21/restaurant-review-the-sycamore-opens-strong-and-to-raucous-crowds.html

Slainte
    Participant

Had the chance to stop by last week! Place looked great, it was packed for a week night so I didn’t have the chance to eat, but enjoyed a glass of wine at the bar.

One thing that was really interesting though- they had a valet who approached our car and asked if he could park it down the road for us for free. When we asked why, because on street parking was available and did not require a permit, he said it was due to neighbors complaining about the added congestion to the street.

I live on the south end of GV, so we drove (don’t judge) because it was raining pretty hard, and I was really surprised to hear that neighbors were upset about this. Granted, the street looked really open to me- presumably because the valet was doing his job.

I am curious if the valet is here to stay, or if this street will eventually be turned into a permit only street.

News
    Participant

Brunch Review: The Sycamore
    Published on December 25, 2013 8:00 am
    By: Miriam Bowers Abbott

German Village’s The Sycamore is nicer than your average neighborhood hangout. Then again, German Village is nicer than your average neighborhood, so it makes sense that the revamped bar would be a little upscale-looking.

It’s nice, but still cozy. The staff is welcoming, the seating is embracing (booths are best), in spite of the slick design and modern earth-toned tile work.

And, you can sneak in on Saturdays for brunch. As a bonus, the opening crowds are all sleeping in.

The brunch menu is small. Bob Evans, it’s not. But that’s a good thing, because what The Sycamore does offer is both interesting and delicious.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/brunch-review-the-sycamore-ma1

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Anne and I stopped in for dinner tonight and had a great time. Went early and avoided the crowds, which was nice. Service is prompt and friendly, atmosphere is cozy and laid back, and prices are quite reasonable… maybe even downright cheap for a date-night dinner.

Anyway, Anne ordered the Quinoa & Chickpea Burger ($10) with ohio cheddar, stone ground mustard, red onion, mizzuna sprouts, tomato and and added guac ($2), and it also came with a big side of fries. Really great take on a veggie burger, though the quinoa & chickpea mix did have a bit of heat to it without warning, which was a little surprising:

I had the Braised Ohio Beef Cheeks ($11) that’s served in a “poutine style” open-faced sandwich on grilled sourdough and topped with Snowville chive gravy, house fries, Blue Jacket cheese curd and I added grilled onions on top ($1). Absolutely amazing as it sounds. Spicy house-made pickle was a nice touch too:

Two thumbs up!

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Always looking for a good veggie burger and that one looks amazing!

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

We haven’t been back since around opening. Sounds like another excuse for a CBUS ride.

Glad you went the healthy route

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Glad you went the healthy route

Ha! I’ve actually been pretty decently focused on a new diet/exercise routine and have lost 11lbs in the past 2 months, so I figured a beef-cheek-poutine-gravy-fries-cheese plate was a pretty good dish to pig out on. ;)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: