Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Shops at Worthington Place

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping The Shops at Worthington Place

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
  • Author

A great feature is going to be the winter farmers’ market inside the mall on Saturdays, starting tomorrow.[/url]

News
    Participant

Pies & Pints Opens at Worthington Place Mall
    Published on November 6, 2012 3:00 pm
    By: Walker

West Virginia based Pies & Pints has officially expanded into the state of Ohio by opening their first location at The Shops at Worthington Place (formerly the Worthington Square Mall). The new restaurant offers 36 craft beers and 16 speciality pizzas to mix and match.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/pies-pints-opens-at-worthington-place-mall

grifado

Orvis store grand opening this weekend, fly fishing anyone?
    http://www.orvisnews.com/FlyFishing/New-Stores-Peabody-MA-and-Worthington-OH.aspx

thecandlelab
    Participant

I can’t say enough good things about what they have done with that mall. I’m decidedly anti-mall given their life cycle, but I am having to eat my words with this re-imagining of the mall. The Saturday morning Farmer’s Market is amazing and the storefronts are nearly all full. If you’re free this Saturday from 10am to 1pm, its worth checking out the mall and winter farmer’s market at the same time. Good stuff.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

thecandlelab said:
    …the storefronts are nearly all full.

Are you just talking about the newer outside-facing stuff? Because the inside of the mall still seemed to have a lot of vacancies when I walked through it yesterday.

Cbusbill
    Participant

I moved down the road from this over the summer. Soooo glad to see this actually coming to life. So many times developers buy older properties, unveil grandiose plans to redevelop, and then never follow through. How many times has the ‘Continent’ property change hands over the past 15 years with no real change?

Given the location of the Worthington mall, right on 270 and High St., smack between I-71 and 315, it should never lack for foot traffic if done right.

I can’t wait to try out the Pies & Pints. Craft beer + designer pizza = Happy Cbusbill :-)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Cbusbill said:
    Given the location of the Worthington mall, right on 270 and High St., smack between I-71 and 315, it should never lack for foot traffic if done right.

Except for when major construction begins next door in 2014: http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/293m-upgrade-to-i-270rt23-interchange-in-worthington

I’ve not read details, but that project could limit access to the mall, or steer customers away from it if they want to avoid the construction mess.

Cbusbill
    Participant

Walker said:
    Except for when major construction begins next door in 2014: http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/293m-upgrade-to-i-270rt23-interchange-in-worthington

I’ve not read details, but that project could limit access to the mall, or steer customers away from it if they want to avoid the construction mess.

Funny you mention that, Walker. I moved from the northeast side near Blendon Woods off 161. I lived through the 3 year hell that was the freeway overhaul there. I agree, it will be a MAJOR inconvenience during the 2.5 yrs this project will be going on (I’m not sure I will leave my house during that time). In a nutshell, I LOATHED the inconvenience the construction caused (tripled my commute time to anywhere), but once it was finished, it exceeded all my expectations for how well it improved traffic in the area. I suspect my experience will be similar with this project. All in the name of progress, right?

meltsintowonder
    Participant

We had a great time at Pies & Pints last night. Pizza was pretty good. They have 36 craft beers on draft and a nice mix. Their wine list is very solid for a pizza joint and the markups are low. The mall looks great and will make a great offering to complement our downtown businesses.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Cbusbill said:
    In a nutshell, I LOATHED the inconvenience the construction caused (tripled my commute time to anywhere), but once it was finished, it exceeded all my expectations for how well it improved traffic in the area. I suspect my experience will be similar with this project. All in the name of progress, right?

I agree that the area will be fine after construction ends… but during highway construction periods that can last 2-3 years, it can cause a major hit to area businesses. Especially retailers like restaurants that have high levels of competition.

Just something I hope mall owners and new tenants are taking into account with construction looming.

wpcc88
    Participant

Walker said:

or it could steer local residents towards the mall because they can’t get anywhere else or its difficult to.. and now they have a ‘destination’ store of sorts with Orvis opening

meltsintowonder
    Participant

I almost feel like the mall will get a lot of traffic from the south of 270 based on the greater population being in that direction. And to wpcc88’s point, people might not want to deal with the interstate. I know a number of people look forward to shopping at the Shops at Worthington Place because they don’t like dealing with Polaris and Easton. The construction will definitely have an impact on the area and will make it more difficult for people from other areas to make it to Wilson Bridge and High quickly.

thecandlelab
    Participant

@Walker – All of the outer-facing storefronts have been filled, and a good many of the inner spots either have tenants or have commitments. You are correct that there are still plenty of empty spots, but the list of commitments and “coming soon” tenants continues to grow. I guess I was comparing it to a couple months ago, when more than half were empty. Its a work in progress, but the list of what’s coming is pretty cool.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

thecandlelab said:

@Walker
    – All of the outer-facing storefronts have been filled, and a good many of the inner spots either have tenants or have commitments. You are correct that there are still plenty of empty spots, but the list of commitments and “coming soon” tenants continues to grow. I guess I was comparing it to a couple months ago, when more than half were empty. Its a work in progress, but the list of what’s coming is pretty cool.

It’s probably been five years since I had previously been inside, so I didn’t really have any basis for comparison. Good to hear it’s on the upswing there. The outside was looking very nice. And of course, I’m happy to see reinvestment in an existing location rather than pushing even further into the exurban hinterland. ;) Worthington is a great community.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Couple of new construction photos, here:

Construction Roundup: Nov 2012 Part 1

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: