Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Shops at Worthington Place

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping The Shops at Worthington Place

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • Author

dsigner
    Participant

Great, great article John. Thanks. The graph showing the number of US Retail Sq Footage per person is so revealing. It shouldn’t surprise anyone, but it should open some eyes about the repercussions of such land use.

johnwirtz
    Participant

dsigner said:
    Great, great article John. Thanks. The graph showing the number of US Retail Sq Footage per person is so revealing. It shouldn’t surprise anyone, but it should open some eyes about the repercussions of such land use.

One of the comments on the site noted that US retail may be over-counted due to much of our big box retail also being used more like warehouse/storage. This isn’t as common in other countries. So it’s possible that we’re not as over-retailed as the chart shows, but we’re still much higher than Canada, which has a similar development pattern.

ohiogirlie74

dsigner said:
    At some point isn’t the problem just too many malls and strip centers. What really is needed there that isn’t accessible very close by? Panera? Cosi is across the street. Johnson’s? Dairy Queen and Graters are 5 minutes down the road. I have no problem with competition and options, but at some point its just oversaturation.

I think the main appeal of an enclosed mall vs. a main-street type strip is that it’s an enclosed oasis of leisurely strolling and immersive hanging out. Like, if it’s blisteringly hot – you can go to the mall, and soak up the AC while shopping, rather than popping outdoors every time you’re ready to see the next store. See above for “what if it’s raining,” or “what if it’s freezing,” or “what if zombies attack?” I’d totally choose Worthington Mall over Polaris for a lazy day, if there were things there that I wanted. As it is now, I think it’s 9 versions of Talbott’s and a luggage store. (For all your Talbott’s.) I like malls that have unique layouts, interesting architecture, a smallish feel, and a hometown vibe. More power to ’em! I’m for malls, if they’re interesting. Put in a carousel. Make it a jungle theme. Cops on unicycles. Whatever it takes, just no more dreary cookie-cutter junkfood malls! Gah!!

News
    Participant

Worthington OKs liquor permits for Shops at Worthington Place
    By Quan Truong
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Monday June 4, 2012 10:32 PM

More beer and alcohol than ever could be flowing soon at the Shops at Worthington Place, after city officials gave the green light tonight for a new community entertainment district.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/06/04/b78237038z-1-20120604222048-000.html

bmor2

I think the owners have recently signed Orvis, Kenneth’s Spa, Frontrunner, Swan Cleaners, Worthington Dental Group and Pies and Pint’s. Seems like it’s catching some momentum.

bmor2

I think the owners have recently signed Orvis, Kenneth’s Spa, Frontrunner, Swan Cleaners, Worthington Dental Group and Pies and Pint’s. Seems like it’s catching some momentum.

cheap

year ago,i used to work right behind this mall.

it is an excellent breakfast & lunch location for employees at the office complexes on wilson bridge

i used to go to Kroger’s in the evening,at that time the mall would just be a ghost town.

the location helps it a lot as well.the strip that was built across the street is a major PIA to get in and out of.

ntn4502

As someone who works in one of the Old Wilson Bridge complexes, I concur, I eat at First Watch entirely too much…food fort to the rescue, maybe?

DJ DocMedPot
    DJ DocMedPot
    Participant

Yeah, this is my goto Kroger and I wish they would have done a little more to change the ingress to this place since they are making upgrades now. Although watching people drive around looking to find their way out of here then often resorting to illegal left turns onto Wilson Bridge provides so much entertainment.

Would be nice to have a truck pod for the far north side though…

surber17
    Participant

Saw this article in Business First…I’m really liking what they’re doing around this mall. Maybe they’ll do what I’ve always wanted Easton to do.

——–

High-end housing proposed for Worthington Place redevelopment
    Business First by Brian R. Ball, Staff reporter
    Date: Friday, November 2, 2012, 6:00am EDT

Redevelopment efforts at the Shops at Worthington Place are getting a boost with high-end rental housing. Crawford Hoying Development Partners unveiled plans before the Worthington Planning Commission and the Worthington Architectural Review Board in late October for 21 townhouses and 129 flats along Old Wilson Bridge Road, north of the shopping center.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2012/11/02/housing-options-to-add-component-to.html

ntn
    ntn
    Participant

I need to take some pictures, I cannot believe what a transformation has taken place here.

surber17
    Participant

I was surprised when this mall was taken on as a project when mall developments weren’t looking too good, but it seems like they’re doing it the right way. Very excited for this.

johnwirtz
    Participant

surber17 said:
    Saw this article in Business First…I’m really liking what they’re doing around this mall. Maybe they’ll do what I’ve always wanted Easton to do.

——–

High-end housing proposed for Worthington Place redevelopment
    Business First by Brian R. Ball, Staff reporter
    Date: Friday, November 2, 2012, 6:00am EDT

Redevelopment efforts at the Shops at Worthington Place are getting a boost with high-end rental housing. Crawford Hoying Development Partners unveiled plans before the Worthington Planning Commission and the Worthington Architectural Review Board in late October for 21 townhouses and 129 flats along Old Wilson Bridge Road, north of the shopping center.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2012/11/02/housing-options-to-add-component-to.html

Thank you Bobby Hoying

surber17
    Participant

Is Bobby Hoying is one of the developers?

johnwirtz
    Participant

surber17 said:
    Is Bobby Hoying is one of the developers?

I believe he is one of the owners of Crawford/Hoying Development Partners.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: