Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The ridiculous Dispatch headline thread

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat The ridiculous Dispatch headline thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 151 total)
  • Author

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

For some time now they’ve been falling over themselves trying their hand at clever wordplay. To be fair, I see it in other newspapers as well. Sometimes it’s punning, and sometimes they find a way to mangle a familiar phrase.

They may range from the gangly Antique tractors have pull for collector to the pithy silliness of Stand up against falls. Today’s gem is Suds fans can’t wait any lager, referring to Yeungling beer becoming available.

My sympathies go to any Dispatch readers who are trying to learn the English language.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

They need to hire Aunt Linda

Pablo
    Participant

With sales deflated, 2 Hooters closing up
    A pair of Hooters has gone bust in central Ohio.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2011/08/31/with-sales-deflated-2-hooters-closing-up.html

peter
    Participant

From that article:

Hooters is part of a concept in the restaurant industry known as “breastaurants”.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

uh oh..

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Rockmastermike
    Participant

not the dispatch, and not someone actually trying to be funny, but here’s a classic headline typo today:

“Farm Bureau estimates crap damage at $207 million from Missouri River flooding”

http://www.dc101.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104668&article=9196998

kinda stinks. I’d say their credibility is in the toilet if they’re doing such a shitty job of proofreading… HA!

6a
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:
    not the dispatch,

the_linotypist
    Participant

I think the story about Swiss cheese that ran yesterday, “High Holey Days,” takes the prize. The timing was perfect, since these are the High Holy Days (between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur) on the Jewish calendar.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:
    not the dispatch, and not someone actually trying to be funny, but here’s a classic headline typo today:

“Farm Bureau estimates crap damage at $207 million from Missouri River flooding”

http://www.dc101.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104668&article=9196998

kinda stinks. I’d say their credibility is in the toilet if they’re doing such a shitty job of proofreading… HA!

I get most of my news from the radio and I frequently hear nonsensical mistakes that may have come from auto-correcting.

M.O.
    Participant

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Rescuer takes rhinos’ plight by horns

It’s like they’re fighting to find any cliche that could possible apply to the topic.

Pablo
    Participant
    lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

Should have been:

Gun lobby shoots more….

the Dispatch seems to be getting too wrapped up in their new Onion publication to know when to get serious for 5 seconds.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 151 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION