Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

High Speed Rail Development in the US

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation High Speed Rail Development in the US

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 946 total)
  • Author

Antonio

Nuclear bombs came out of the Manhattan Project, not so sure that is so great of a thing.

NASA came about after the Germans came to the US after WW II and help jump start the space program.

KingLincolnUrbanEnthusiast wrote >>
    Walker – great post and wouldn’t this be amazing if the damn predatory Chinese can do this with American money and technology in China from Beijing to Shanghai and we can put a man on the moon – why can’t this be done in the USA. Think of all the great things that came out of the Manhattan project during WWII that helped set up a high value added, high employment economy and NASA in the 1970’s

Antonio

The new governor in Florida should cancel this project.

How many times have I read on CU that in passenger trains one must walk before they can run? Slow trains before fast trains was the mantra.

Since Tampa and Orlando have no existing rail service as it is, they would start right out of the gate running, an obvious sign of a failure to come.

Would not want to have the route from Palm Beach to Miami where 4 million people ride the rails alrerady.

Let’s put where there is no demand, and go through the sinkhole capital of Florida.

Walker wrote >>
    VISION: Can a New High-Speed Rail System Save the American Dream?
    AlterNet / By Scott Thill
    January 22, 2011 |
    Crippled by economic depression and environmental catastrophe, the American dream is dead in the water. And with peak oil hot on its hyperconsuming heels, America is looking for solutions, and it may have found a good one in the form of an ambitious national high-speed rail network that would connect its metropoles and mid-size cities together in green solidarity. Better late than never.
    READ MORE: http://www.alternet.org/environment/149630/vision:_the_future_is_becoming_more_clear_–_abandon_sprawl,_intensify_use_of_high_sp

Antonio

Let’s send a train out at 180 mph and see what happens when a giant hole opens up 200 feet across on the run.

The corridor in Florida is the sink hole capital of Florida. Sinkholes down there have been known to devour auto dealerships, supermarkets, hotels, restaurants , homes apartment buildings. You name it, they have all been devoured.

There is NO WARNING, there is no stoping them.

zp945
    Participant

Antonio is right. We shouldn’t build passenger rail. Think of all the sinkhole related disasters. When will that Damn jetpack be perfected?

kevinf

Having lived in Orlando for the last year (took a chance, but so very glad to be back in Columbus), their rail project looks far better in words and print than in reality.

– – –
    Their greatest single problem: transportation from rail station to desired in-town destination.

Secondary problem: the entire project is disjointed. Orlando has one plan for it’s metro, while the state has another for the big city connectors.
    – – –

Orlando is so spread out, it takes a massive amount of time to get anywhere. Columbus is very close in MSA to Orlando, yet it takes half the time to do anything here versus Orlando. It’s very inconvenient and far more car dependent down there.

Also, their economy is severely depressed in overall wages, jobs and especially housing. Columbus will be well into a recovery before most of Florida has a chance.

gramarye
    Participant

Regarding the sinkholes, I’ll just have to assume that Florida’s engineers know what they’re doing. Of course, you would have hoped that with respect to the other places they’ve opened up and swallowed pieces of infrastructure, too.

Regarding high speed vs. standard speed, I see this two-faced argument a lot, and I’m sick of responding to it, so I’ll just point it out: for the naysayers, (a) if a standard-speed project is proposed, it’s too slow, and (b) if a high-speed project is proposed, it’s too expensive and too much too soon.

I don’t know enough about the Florida high-speed rail proposal to be able to comment on it intelligently. (Antonio probably doesn’t, either, but that seldom stops people whose view of what needs to be done is wholly independent of any facts.)

Antonio

May not even be something they are thinking about.

It does exist.

zp945 wrote >>
    Antonio is right. We shouldn’t build passenger rail. Think of all the sinkhole related disasters. When will that Damn jetpack be perfected?

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

U.S. unveils $53 billion in high-speed rail plan
    The U.S. government will dedicate $53 billion over six years to build new high-speed rail networks and make existing ones faster, Vice President Joe Biden said on Tuesday.

The initiative will allow the Department of Transportation to choose corridors for the new projects and increase U.S. use of the passenger rails, the White House said in a statement.
    Read More[/url]

Antonio

Good luck in getting Congress to approve funding for this – LOL

joshlapp wrote >>
    The U.S. government will dedicate $53 billion over six years to build new high-speed rail networks and make existing ones faster, Vice President Joe Biden said on Tuesday.
    The initiative will allow the Department of Transportation to choose corridors for the new projects and increase U.S. use of the passenger rails, the White House said in a statement.

Read More[/url]

johnwirtz
    Participant

joshlapp wrote >>

Read More[/url]

Cool. Someone should think about building a rail line connecting Ohio’s four largest cities.

Paul
    Participant

johnwirtz wrote >>
    Cool. Someone should think about building a rail line connecting Ohio’s four largest cities.

I agree! I’m really looking for a way to get to Cincinnati from Columbus that takes about twice as long as driving, only makes the trip 2-3 times a day, and dumps me off at an airport outside the city. When will someone come up with a viable plan to fill that need? One requirement: it must have “high-speed” in the name, regardless of what speed it will actually travel. Then I’m in!

Antonio

LOL….

I’ve seen this movie, it doesn’t end well.

Paul wrote >>

johnwirtz wrote >>

I agree! I’m really looking for a way to get to Cincinnati from Columbus that takes about twice as long as driving, only makes the trip 2-3 times a day, and dumps me off at an airport outside the city. When will someone come up with a viable plan to fill that need? One requirement: it must have “high-speed” in the name, regardless of what speed it will actually travel. Then I’m in!

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant

Paul wrote >>

johnwirtz wrote >>

I don’t know, that seems like a waste of money. I’d prefer we spend whatever it takes to convert an existing highway intersection into a new one that doesn’t require me to check my blind spot.

futureman
    Participant

Glad to see you finally onboard!

Paul wrote >>

johnwirtz wrote >>

Paul
    Participant

StowCbusCleveland wrote >>
    I don’t know, that seems like a waste of money. I’d prefer we spend whatever it takes to convert an existing highway intersection into a new one that doesn’t require me to check my blind spot.

As long as it keeps people in the unions working it has my full support! (That HAS to be good for Ohio, right? … right?)

futureman wrote >>
    Glad to see you finally onboard!

I’ve been “all aboard” trains for a long time, in fact I just rode one this morning. However I am also one of the millions of people who thought the proposed 3C project was a horrible plan for Ohio.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 946 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: