Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

High Speed Rail Development in the US

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation High Speed Rail Development in the US

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 946 total)
  • Author

johnwirtz
    Participant

High speed rail would never work in the US because you can’t trust communists.

cbustransit
    Participant

johnwirtz wrote >>
    High speed rail would never work in the US because you can’t trust communists.

good point john…fact.

GCrites80s
    Participant

The minute we improve our rail system the government will also purchase all major means of production nationwide. Duh.

gramarye
    Participant

If we can borrow the Autobahn from the Nazis, we can borrow HSR from the ChiComs.

Antonio

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Antonio wrote >>
    Most Americans against HSR in latest poll
    http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/february_2011/41_favor_high_speed_rail_plan_46_oppose

46% against, 41% favor

Here is the wording of the survey:

[quote]1* How closely have you followed news reports about plans to promote a national high-speed train network in the United States?
    2* A proposal has been made for the federal government to spend $53 billion to help build a national network of high-speed trains connecting several major U.S. cities. Do you favor or oppose plans for the federal government to help build a high-speed train network?
    3* The federal government controls Amtrak which operates passenger rail service in the United States. Last year, the government gave Amtrak nearly $3 billion in subsidies and grants to finance its operations. Should the federal government continue providing subsidies and grants to Amtrak or stop providing subsidies and grants?
    4* At this time, does the federal government need to spend more money on infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, and trains?
    5* Which will do more to create jobs – a government plan to promote a high-speed train network or cutting government spending?
    NOTE: Margin of Sampling Error, +/- 3 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence[/quote]

Antonio

I don’t know if we borrowed the Autobahn idea or not. Yes Eisenhower was marveled by them and used the idea to build the infrastructure we know today.

However looking back on history, in 1936 design for the Pennsylvania Turnpike started and was open on October 1, 1940. Roughly parallel to what the Nazis did.

http://users.zoominternet.net/~jamieo/Turnpike_Page.htm

Many other states wanted to copy what PA did, but WWII got in the way.

gramarye wrote >>
    If we can borrow the Autobahn from the Nazis, we can borrow HSR from the ChiComs.

alove
    alove
    Participant

Let’s just sit back and learn from California.

rus
    rus
    Participant

alove wrote >>
    Let’s just sit back and learn from California.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

*snort*

Roland
    Participant

Antonio wrote >>
    I don’t know if we borrowed the Autobahn idea or not. Yes Eisenhower was marveled by them and used the idea to build the infrastructure we know today.

The Autobahn is more advance then our highway system. Adjusting speed limits, well maintained roads, and serious traffic law enforcement would likely blow the minds of typical American drivers.

Driving is just taken more seriously there. I wish it were so in the U.S.

johnwirtz
    Participant

Roland wrote >>

Antonio wrote >>

The Autobahn is more advance then our highway system. Adjusting speed limits, well maintained roads, and serious traffic law enforcement would likely blow the minds of typical American drivers.

I hear Seattle has variable speed limit signs now.
    http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=11&sid=347262

Andrew Hall

The more I think about it, the more I am getting convinved that we are just not optimizing the usage of our highways and that is the real medium-term solution (becoming long term with a dominance of non-fossil fuels as well as intelligent automated systems.)

Congestion pricing, variable speed limits, traffic control systems and other technologies/strategies either already exist or are extremely close. These will solve much of the traffic problems as well as optimize resource use.

A.

Paul
    Participant

johnwirtz wrote >>

Roland wrote >>

Antonio wrote >>

I hear Seattle has variable speed limit signs now.
    http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=11&sid=347262

They do. I was just there recently.

Sadly, they never display a circle with a diagonal line across it like they do in Germany…

woofman
    Participant

GCrites80s wrote >>
    The minute we improve our rail system the government will also purchase all major means of production nationwide. Duh.

Haha!! I’m reading that right now, movie comes out next month. (Part one anyway).

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

[b]Scott rejects high-speed rail project[/b]
    By Cooper Levey-Baker | 02.16.11

[i]Gov. Rick Scott just announced that he has rejected federal money that would be used to build a high-speed rail line from Tampa to Orlando, saying the project would be “far too costly to taxpayers” and that he believes “the risk far outweighs the benefits.”[/i]

READ MORE: http://floridaindependent.com/21944/rick-scott-rejects-federal-high-speed-rail

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 946 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.