Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

High Speed Rail Development in the US

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation High Speed Rail Development in the US

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 946 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

With plenty of chatter about Ohio’s 3C Corridor’s expected $400M funding today

(here: https://www.columbusunderground.com/3c-corridor-should-receive-federal-funds-tomorrow)

I figured it might be worth talking about the other 12 rail corridors that are getting funded. Here’s what I’ve heard so far:

1 – $2.25B for SanFrancisco-LosAngeles Corridor

2 – $1.1B for Chicago-StLouis Corridor

3 – $1.25B for Tampa-Orlando Corridor

4 – $244M for Chicago-Detroit Corridor

5 – $810M for Madison-Milwaukee Corridor

6 – $590M for Portland-Seattle Corridor

7 – $520M for Raleigh-Charlotte Corridor

Some of these are for new service, some are for upgrades to existing systems.

Anyone else hear anything different?

Anyone excited about any of these in particular?

Tenzo
    Participant

Which ones are high speed?
    I read that the one in Ohio is going to have an average speed of 40mph (factoring in stops)

But you have to start somewhere.

Tampa Orlando is a boondoggle. There just isn’t that much traffic between the two spots and it isn’t that far. I’m seeing it as an extension of Disney World Monorail service to the Tampa beaches.

2,4 and 5 really are one project. They are improving the lines that already exist.

LA to Frisco is the coolest one. That one will be the US’s first high speed and used as a prototype for the rest of the US. So it really benefits everyone. I can see the results of that one used for the next step for Ohio.

The idea that we will see train service in 6 months is fanciful though.

Tenzo
    Participant

hmmm.

I just added up the ones that benefit Chicago.
    $2.154B

I guess that is not surprising consider who he is beholding to.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I think the average speed of the 3C varies depending upon your total trip distance. I think most of the low number comes from a trip from Cincinnati to Cleveland, which I’m guessing most people won’t be taking. Columbus to Dayton for example probably won’t contain any stops in between, so the average speed is going to be higher.

Where did you see anyone claiming train service in 6 months? Are you talking about Ohio or one of the other corridors?

agtw31

wow,110 mph in NC’s route

they have done some nice restoration work on their train stations down there.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>
    hmmm.
    $2.154B

Shocking, I know.

Tenzo
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

Where did you see anyone claiming train service in 6 months?

Wooops, my bad.
    I keep forgetting we are in 2010 already.
    (mainly because I’ve been doing Decmber accounting adjustments for the last two weeks)

Officials have said the trains could be up and running by the middle of next year.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rus wrote >>

Tenzo wrote >>
    hmmm.
    $2.154B

Shocking, I know.

Yeah. Absolutely nothing to do with Chicago being the 3rd largest metro area in the country.

Tenzo
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

rus wrote >>

Tenzo wrote >>
    hmmm.
    $2.154B

Shocking, I know.

Yeah. Absolutely nothing to do with Chicago being the 3rd largest metro area in the country.

[/troll]
    Actually it does make sense.
    Chicago is more than the third largest.
    It’s the number 1 transportation hub in the united states. So improving that area has a benefit to everyone.
    Not improving that area would be more shocking.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

rus wrote >>

Tenzo wrote >>
    hmmm.
    $2.154B

Shocking, I know.

Sorry, what was that? Can’t hear you through the cynicism over here.

mstimple

So how many stops are there going to be? I looked a while ago and saw there were numerous ones (Delaware, Galion, Grafton, Cleveland airport, Cleveland) but on the link to the DOT website there is only one between here and Cleveland. Also, where is the station here going to be? I’ve heard the convention center. Maybe the parking lot between 3rd and 4th street overpass of 670 and the tracks into downtown?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

mstimple wrote >>
    So how many stops are there going to be? I looked a while ago and saw there were numerous ones (Delaware, Galion, Grafton, Cleveland airport, Cleveland) but on the link to the DOT website there is only one between here and Cleveland. Also, where is the station here going to be? I’ve heard the convention center. Maybe the parking lot between 3rd and 4th street overpass of 670 and the tracks into downtown?

http://3cisme.ohio.gov/

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Lakee911
    Participant

I was skeptical at first but I a excited about it now. :). Boo about Chicago getting bucu bucks though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 946 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: