Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Only Way to Give Columbus a True Identity

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The Only Way to Give Columbus a True Identity

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 347 total)
  • Author

jbcmh81
    Participant

rus said:
    The continent comes to mind.

Flashback – The Continent

I know Westland Mall was an outdoor shopping area when it opened in 1969, but I’m not sure if it could be considered anything like a town center. I don’t think I’ve ever seen photos of it before they changed it to the enclosed mall.

wpcc88
    Participant

I’d love to see the ‘Discovery District’ add something like this even though it’s what we’re going to see in the Bridge Street Corridor if that ever comes to fruition.. I think we need to have something to ease the gap between the Neighborhood Lauch/Gay Street area, ‘Discovery District’ and OTE.. some common place for those areas to use as a common place for retail & restaurants… I’m so excited to see what our wonderful city looks like by 2020!!

bman
    Participant

joshlapp said:
    Here is an image idea, Gay Hookup Capitol of the non-coast.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/04/ten-most-promiscuous-gay-city-america_n_2238022.html#slide=1837806

YAY! We’re making lists!

Hilarious!

Timeone

im a little late to the discussion but i think calling Brown and Coleman imitators is pretty ignorant. Aside from repping the city everyday to the rest of the country, they are volunteering their energy to organize INNOVATIVE events like Independents Day. When it comes down to it, these guys are leaders in supporting the creative class. What are you doing to help organize the creative class?

L-Rag

Oh my gahd, make it stop.

Polis
    Participant

InnerCore said:
    Easton was actually a great idea. The “town center” is a good ideal that most urbanist support to bring density in inner ring suburbs.

I never said Easton was a bad idea, but it did aid in the decline of Downtown, which I find ironic. The investors of Easton were the ones who pulled the plug on incorporating the mixed-use elements inside the center itself. The original plans, which were liked by the city, included a different layout and mixed-use retail/res/office. A few years ago I was able to speak with the developers, Yaromir Steiner primarily, about the history of Easton and original concept plans. Essentially the concept was not safe enough for the time so the investors backed off and made the developers redesign the project to move the residential.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

InnerCore said:
    Take all of my remarks into consideration. It seems that once the adversarial positions are set up the post where I move to the center are ignored.

Fair enough. I’ll make my own attempt to be less adversarial in return.

I don’t necessarily disagree with most of your main points. But they aren’t particularly new or insightful. I think we all know that Columbus needs rail, that Easton should have been built downtown, that Austin has a better national reputation, etc., etc., etc. I guess it just frustrates me to rehash these conversations that seem –with all due respect –so five years ago.

There was a time when that whole list really bothered me. But these days, I’m thinking more about the packed full weekend I just spent with Columbus’ creative class –Festivus at 400 W Rich on Saturday, the Junctionview Open on Sunday –innovative, community-supported events, jam packed with local vendors, young artists and musicians of every description. Plus the Mayor.

It’s hard for me to reconcile that kind of experience with all the doom and gloom talk, and it just gets on my nerves.

InnerCore
    Participant

ChrisSunami said:
    I don’t necessarily disagree with most of your main points. But they aren’t particularly new or insightful. I think we all know that Columbus needs rail, that Easton should have been built downtown, that Austin has a better national reputation, etc., etc., etc. I guess it just frustrates me to rehash these conversations that seem –with all due respect –so five years ago.

Well that’s not particularly fair to me as I wasn’t here five years ago making those arguments. You and others could have simply said “Hey, we’ve had these discussion 5 years ago look at this or that thread”. Instead of trying to argue about whether refugees actually choose to live here allowing the debate to move to something insighgful. And it seems a little telling that five years later these issues are still ringing true. After reading more and more older threads, it appears that many here agree with my individual arguments. They just don’t like them grouped together with the assessment that these issues are hurting the city. 5 years ago Charlotte was well behind us, 5 years from now they’ll be well ahead of us.

ChrisSunami said:
    There was a time when that whole list really bothered me. But these days, I’m thinking more about the packed full weekend I just spent with Columbus’ creative class –Festivus at 400 W Rich on Saturday, the Junctionview Open on Sunday –innovative, community-supported events, jam packed with local vendors, young artists and musicians of every description. Plus the Mayor.

You seem to be very focuses on you while I’m more focused on the overall picture. I’m not here arguing what I specifically want. In a few years these issue won’t matter to me as much, but they’ll matter to the future of Columbus. I have been arguing what I think Columbus needs to do to be competitive for future generations. Obviously if you currently live in Columbus then you are at some level content with what is here. So pretty much any improvement is going to be seen as positive. What I’m doing is comparing the current state of the area to other areas in the US, and I’m seeing that we are continuing to fall behind the national trend. These things aren’t mutually exclusive. You can improve the local quality of life while at the same time decrease in relation to other cities.

ChrisSunami said:
    It’s hard for me to reconcile that kind of experience with all the doom and gloom talk, and it just gets on my nerves.

First, where am I predicting doom and gloom? Slowly losing our percentage of the millennial population, failure to institute better public transit and creating urban walkable environments on par with what is standard in most cities doesn’t mean Columbus is about to fail. And that’s part of the problem. The local improvement will preoccupy locals for years to come. If Columbus was losing population at a high rate then people would be panicking and demanding change. Instead we’ll hum along with the status quo. For every Hubbard, we’ll build 5 Tribeca’s, rail will get pushed out further and further. As you pointed out, we’ve had the same obvious issues for years now.

I’ve looked around, the only thing I’ve found promoting transit is TransitColumbus (which I’ve donated to). And having car free days are great but where are the people grouping together to create political power. 400 Rich gets talked about a lot and thats great improvement for locals but isn’t going to get young people moving here. Better public transit and zoning will.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

InnerCore said:
    You seem to be very focuses on you while I’m more focused on the overall picture.

I’m citing my own experiences as a local member of the “creative class” as opposed to your long-distance assessment of what it is like to live here now.

I’ve looked around, the only thing I’ve found promoting transit is TransitColumbus (which I’ve donated to). And having car free days are great but where are the people grouping together to create political power. 400 Rich gets talked about a lot and thats great improvement for locals but isn’t going to get young people moving here. Better public transit and zoning will.

What rankles is that you:

a) assume people here are unaware of the issues that you raise
    b) accuse people of complacently ignoring said issues

while at the same time you:

c) discount and devalue every local initiative related to those issues

People here aren’t unaware, they aren’t complacent, and they aren’t passive. I’m sure you think you’re promoting positive action with your posts, but I’m not sure what positive action anyone reading this thread could possibly take that would meet your standards.

It seems as though the only proof you would accept that people are paying attention would be for someone to move away from the city. Then perhaps you might say “ah, that person gets it”.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

InnerCore said:
    Instead we’ll hum along with the status quo.

This approach.

It’s not working.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

ChrisSunami said:

a) raise issues
    b) accuse people of complacently ignoring said issues

while at the same time you:

c) discount and devalue every local initiative related to those issues

it’s called trolling.

If there were a textbook on how to troll local issues discussion forums THAT would be the recipe in chapter 1. It’s the exact opposite of useful discussion.

Gil Ligg

Just b/c you think someone is “trolling” does not mean that they are.

Have any of you thought that you ALL are guilty of group think? I mean, it’s clear that people on this message board don’t take it lightly when someone criticizes Columbus, but for ya’ll to dismiss criticism as “trolling” is pretty damn immature and conformist.

I suggest some of you need to step back and look at this topic of discussion from the POV of someone that has no biases for or against Columbus. When you do this the only logical conclusion is that this city is the definition of the status quo. Why else would it be such a great test market for companies?

Cookie

Gil Ligg said:
    Have any of you thought that you ALL are guilty of group think? I mean, it’s clear that people on this message board don’t take it lightly when someone criticizes Columbus …

I can assure you, I take it very lightly.

Polis
    Participant

Also Wendy’s and White Castle have HQ’s here plus it has one of the largest universities in the nation making food sales, in particular, fairly high. It’s much easier to test market in your own backyard, so there’s that, and plus Columbus has a diverse range of socio-economic households, making it an even BETTER test market.

Columbus has tons of restaurants and a fairly strong culture of eating out, so that is definitely a plus when being nominated as a test market.

What’s wrong with being the socio-demographic status-quo? Why does a Columbus NEED to have a population that is so vastly different? If Columbus had only one characteristic to describe the city, it’s that it is inviting to everyone.

I’m not particularly attached to Columbus but even I am bothered by the lack of rational thought in your arguments. You are inviting yourself to be bashed, trolled and overall incite disagreements on your own accord.

I suggest to take a step back and learn about what a test market is, about the progress Columbus has made in the past decade or two and about what actually makes a city tick (hint it’s not art).

Graybeak
    Participant

“Conversation is so five years ago”
    And yet, we are having the same conversations now, problems must still exist.

“someone that has no biases for or against Columbus”
    Then why would they be participating in the conversation?

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 347 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: