Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Only Way to Give Columbus a True Identity

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The Only Way to Give Columbus a True Identity

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 347 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #521763

    dubdave00
    Participant

    The only way to give Columbus a true identity is for the cynics to get off their asses and go do what they say should be done by someone else.

    #521764
    rus
    rus
    Participant

    DavidF said:
    Yeesh. Just deleted a long, detailed reply to the original post, then I realized I can sum it up in one sentence.

    Haters gonna hate.

    And you thought memes were silly.

    #521765

    DavidF
    Participant

    rus said:
    And you thought memes were silly.

    Just for you:

    #521766

    No T
    Member

    Walker said:
    Speak for yourself. There’s plenty of people all over this city who strive to make it a better place every single day.

    Discounting their efforts is insulting at worst, oblivious at best.

    Well, drats, I’d hate for my sarcastic opinions to be insulting. Fortunately, I wasn’t discounting efforts of the individual ‘people’, just the constant stamping of the uninspiring design aesthetic over and over. Kudos to them, they will keep doing it their way and I will continue to do it my way. It won’t bother me to not see my face on the landing page of CU.
    Perhaps I’m thinking micro versus macro but that’s how I view the world of Columbus…WE all see the details on a daily basis. However, I’m not oblivious to the lack of creativity by the city to bring world class to us. Everywhere I turn I see the same aesthetic all over downtown…we all know who controls that design and it’s getting old. But again, opinions are like what?

    #521767
    rus
    rus
    Participant

    No T said:
    Well, drats, I’d hate for my sarcastic opinions to be insulting.

    #521768

    Gil Ligg
    Member

    Wow. I’m surprised by the defensiveness this post has inspired. I guess people in this city don’t give a damn what Richard Florida and others have been writing about. It’s ironic since the city spent a lot of money to hold a weeklong celebration of innovation, even inviting Mr. Florida to speak. Clearly what he has to say has fallen on deaf ears in this city.

    When looking to do innovative things one must look to where innovation is happening, which is why I used SF and NYC as an example. Of course Columbus can’t be like them, that’s not the point. Everyone, even innovators, gets inspiration from others so why not look to the gold standards when searching for inspiration?

    Can anyone defend Guy Worley and his company? Show me one example of something they’ve done that is unique. I’ve been looking but can’t find anything.

    I’m not a cynic, just a realist. Columbus is not nearly as innovative as some people on this board suggest. If it was then there would be a resource center for creative people. I guess it’s a flaw of human nature but people in most cities get trapped in their little bubble and forget what their city looks like to the outside world.

    Also, of course there are many people here doing awesome things, but that means nothing b/c the infrastructure and support systems to create a thriving creative class here is mediocre at best.

    #521769
    Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

    I know what would remedy the situation. The “Hub” Stadium Complex of Creativity and Indie Artsyness on the Scioto Peninsula. In the first day of operation Cbus would outshine NYC, San Fran, and every other city in the world. Too bad the CDDC is sucking the life out of Downtown.

    #521770

    ricospaz
    Participant

    Paint all the buildings downtown pink. People would flock to this place!

    #521771
    rus
    rus
    Participant

    joshlapp said:
    I know what would remedy the situation. The “Hub” Stadium Complex of Creativity and Indie Artsyness on the Scioto Peninsula. In the first day of operation Cbus would outshine NYC, San Fran, and every other city in the world. Too bad the CDDC is sucking the life out of Downtown.

    #521772

    lifeontwowheels
    Participant

    Gil Ligg said:
    Wow. I’m surprised by the defensiveness this post has inspired. I guess people in this city don’t give a damn what Richard Florida and others have been writing about. It’s ironic since the city spent a lot of money to hold a weeklong celebration of innovation, even inviting Mr. Florida to speak. Clearly what he has to say has fallen on deaf ears in this city.

    When looking to do innovative things one must look to where innovation is happening, which is why I used SF and NYC as an example. Of course Columbus can’t be like them, that’s not the point. Everyone, even innovators, gets inspiration from others so why not look to the gold standards when searching for inspiration?

    Can anyone defend Guy Worley and his company? Show me one example of something they’ve done that is unique. I’ve been looking but can’t find anything.

    I’m not a cynic, just a realist. Columbus is not nearly as innovative as some people on this board suggest. If it was then there would be a resource center for creative people. I guess it’s a flaw of human nature but people in most cities get trapped in their little bubble and forget what their city looks like to the outside world.

    Also, of course there are many people here doing awesome things, but that means nothing b/c the infrastructure and support systems to create a thriving creative class here is mediocre at best.

    I generally don’t give a damn what other people say. Could Columbus improve? I think any city including our own could improve. Getting trapped in a “the grass is greener” mentality robs one of the opportunity to create, innovate and be inspiration rather than simply be inspired.

    #521773

    geoyui
    Participant

    Gil Ligg said:

    When looking to do innovative things one must look to where innovation is happening, which is why I used SF and NYC as an example. Of course Columbus can’t be like them, that’s not the point. Everyone, even innovators, gets inspiration from others so why not look to the gold standards when searching for inspiration?

    I’m pretty sure the Columbus Commons was based off a park concept in NYC. It may not be your choice of innovation, but the planners/decision makers are applying the same process you are touting, just choosing differently.

    Also, I think just because there is disagreement with your post, doesn’t mean that the commenters are not for innovation.

    In terms of Guy Worley, I believe he had a hand in the rebuilding of Bicentennial Park/Scioto Mile. That seems to be doing pretty well from what I can see.

    #521774

    InnerCore
    Participant

    lifeontwowheels said:
    I generally don’t give a damn what other people say. Could Columbus improve? I think any city including our own could improve. Getting trapped in a “the grass is greener” mentality robs one of the opportunity to create, innovate and be inspiration rather than simply be inspired.

    I don’t really see this a a grass is greener type of sentiment. I spent the first 25 years of my life living in Columbus before moving away 5 years ago. Before moving I always looked at it like Columbus was a great place to raise a family with a decent cost of living. While other cities had much more to offer in terms of culture, entertainment, etc. you had to sacrifice in terms of cost living, space, etc.

    Now that I have lived other places I realize Columbus has all the potential to be like other place it’s just the mentality of the people that hold it back. Columbus still doesn’t have any kind decent public transit other than buses for example.

    Columbus doesn’t need to be just like other cities but come one, when another city implements electricity and you can see the benefits you don’t refuse to use electricity out of fear of a grass is greener mentality.

    #521775

    manticore33
    Participant

    Columbus is just that, Columbus. There are good attributes and bad attributes. And, to those that speak about the progress, I am still amazed at where we have come in the past 10-15 years. Furthermore, the ring cities too have become more vibrant in the past decade and a half. Things happen more slowly here and quality growth takes time. The amazing amount of housing infill in the urban areas is a positive indication of the times-are-a-changing.

    After being through NYC, DC, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and etc, I can’t say that I’d rather be there. Sure, we don’t have epic mountains, the ocean, and other world-record setting features, but we have a little bit of everything. This blended with technology, food, manufacturing, agriculture, and natural resources make Columbus and Ohio interesting. Please, do not discount the cost of living which is absurdly affordable in this area (most metro’s have way higher taxes, tolls, rents, and etc that eats your pocket cash).

    Yes, I am a native Central Ohioian and proud of our little couple million MSA. I want us to become who we are opposed to carbon copy of another metro. And, that identity, will take time to figure out.

    #521776

    lifeontwowheels
    Participant

    ^ because I’m totally against “electricity” (rolls eyes)

    I think any city is what you make it and what you put into. I’m sure you could hold the OPs attitude in a place like NYC. It doesn’t mean we can’t improve transit or other items and gain valuable insight from successful project. I’m just saying that constantly framing discussions (I’ve lost track of how many of these Columbus sucks posts we’ve had here) around comparisons to others loses sight of what we have and what we can build on. Ultimately what defines and creates Columbus’s image, for me at least, isn’t the next big flashy project from the city or a developer it’s the small, grassroots projects that are defining our neighborhoods and bringing life to those pockets.

    #521777

    InnerCore
    Participant

    lifeontwowheels said:
    It doesn’t mean we can’t improve transit or other items and gain valuable insight from successful project.

    My point is that you can’t improve things like say transit when the mentality of the people is that they don’t want to improve it. Take light rail for example. Columbus and Charlotte are almost identical in size in terms of MSA’s. Charlotte has the blue line and Columbus has nothing. The only reason Columbus doesn’t have anything better is because the people (majority) don’t want anything better.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 347 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION