Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Only Way to Give Columbus a True Identity

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The Only Way to Give Columbus a True Identity

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 347 total)
  • Author

DavidF
    Participant

@InnerCore. Thanks for all the posting. I may not agree with all of your conclusions, but I’m impressed with the obvious amount of thought that has gone into your posts. This is exactly the type of discussion I like, lively, considered, and (generally) conducted at a high level of discourse.

I sincerely hope you keep challenging us.

Chris Sunami
    Participant

@Inner Core. I understand where you’re coming from. However:

1) Happy with Columbus, circa 2012, does not mean complacency. Most of the people I’m friends with, including myself, are actively doing things to improve Columbus and raise its national profile. We’re working in the very areas you’ve mentioned over and over. But we’re happy because we see the work we’re doing bearing fruit. I think if our efforts weren’t making progress you’d encounter very different attitudes.

2) When I was a child in Columbus, the city hated itself for not being New York. And as late as the time you left Columbus, we were envious of places like Austin. But these days, I think we’re confident that we have something of our own that we might not yet be able to describe, but that soon enough will make other cities sit up and ask what it is that we’re doing –instead of the other way around.

3) It’s true that there are a lot of worthy things in Columbus that haven’t traditionally gotten a great deal of governmental support. But that’s bred a strong, independent do-it-yourself culture that may ultimately prove more effective.

In sum, people who are betting on Columbus aren’t betting on complacency or the status quo. They’re betting on the changes they themselves are making happen. As with any gamble, it might not end up as the winning bet. But I defy you to tell me it’s not a bet worth making.

byJody
    Participant

In my view, the city should strive to be the target area for gays, geeks and gears (bicycles). The IBM announcement is great for the geeks, thinking the dark fiber will be lit up soon. As for LGBT, we need Ohio to repeal DOMA. As for gears, some great progress has come online with much more needed. When the Ohio to Erie trail is completed thru Franklin County, it will be a tourist attraction.

Gil Ligg

I’m sorry I don’t post on a regular basis, but I do have a life to live in the real world.

Jon, I firmly agree that the local gov’t is a stupid bureaucracy that effs everything up, but I’m sure the cities that are hubs of creativity and innovation have support from their local gov’t. If it’s not the city’s job to improve support for creatives, then who’s job is it?…you say make things that people want, but sadly most people are sheep and don’t know what they want…what are these companies you speak of?

Swan, great response…everywhere I look in Columbus I see the same old, bland developments happening. I mean seriously, how many more generic, homogenized gateway centers, retail spaces, and residential properties does this city need? All signs of development in Cbus point to normalcy. Look at what they are doing to High St just north of Rich St. They are tearing down those buildings that have REAL character and replacing them with shit that has no character whatsoever.

There is one interesting point that I’ve been waiting to bring up b/c I wanted to see if anyone else would mention it. Nobody has so I will.

I’m talking about the dark side of being a “cool” city like Austin or Portland. While these cities have great character, unique attractions, and vibrant creative communities, they also have become overpopulated with hipsters. The locals hate this. All the place that were once cool and underground are overrun by these annoying transplants and are turned into cliche’ hangout spots.

If I were a creative person planted firmly in this city then I wouldn’t want Cbus to be “cool” to the outside world. I would want to keep it a secret. Right now the hipsters have a few select places that they control, but if this city were to become like Austin, then they would be everywhere. They’re like gremlins, except they multiply from PBR instead of water.

I honestly think it would benefit this city if it embraced the cowtown image. It would prevent an influx of extremely annoying people, but then again it would attract a completely opposite , yet equally annoying person- the hillbilly.

Chris Sherman
    Participant

This is ridiculous. Quit fooln’ people..

Polis
    Participant

Promoting the creative class is not a single “job”; it behooves the business community to support the creative class, which they do, and the city also has programs. Columbus isn’t completely ran by idiots, the city is actually quite clever in the way it controls the region; which is significantly different from how Cleveland and Cincinnati interact within their regions.

Has the city developed too quickly? Possibly. Is it over retailed? Yes, even the staff within the city agree to this. Does it have a balanced budget? Yes.

Even so, if the city wouldn’t have approved the development, like it has, it would be in a much different position, likely with far fewer jobs within the region.

The city supports the creative class primarily through the creation of neighborhoods that attract the creative class, doing so by using TIF’s, zoning changes, tax abatement programs, etc… This highly important fact should not be overlooked, especially for a city in the middle of Ohio.

Again, not sure what you want from the city but I’m pretty sure it’s free handouts to artists.

I like how your name sounds exactly like a major bus manufacturer, “Gillig”.

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ChrisSunami said:
    @Inner Core. I understand where you’re coming from. However:

1) Happy with Columbus, circa 2012, does not mean complacency. Most of the people I’m friends with, including myself, are actively doing things to improve Columbus and raise its national profile. We’re working in the very areas you’ve mentioned over and over. But we’re happy because we see the work we’re doing bearing fruit. I think if our efforts weren’t making progress you’d encounter very different attitudes.

2) When I was a child in Columbus, the city hated itself for not being New York. And as late as the time you left Columbus, we were envious of places like Austin. But these days, I think we’re confident that we have something of our own that we might not yet be able to describe, but that soon enough will make other cities sit up and ask what it is that we’re doing –instead of the other way around.

3) It’s true that there are a lot of worthy things in Columbus that haven’t traditionally gotten a great deal of governmental support. But that’s bred a strong, independent do-it-yourself culture that may ultimately prove more effective.

In sum, people who are betting on Columbus aren’t betting on complacency or the status quo. They’re betting on the changes they themselves are making happen. As with any gamble, it might not end up as the winning bet. But I defy you to tell me it’s not a bet worth making.

Very well said.

geoyui
    Participant

tdziemia said:

But OMAHA?

Reminds me of the Buffalo comparisons.

Graybeak
    Participant

You know folks, any time a message board title starts off with “The [i]Only[/i] Way” of anything, you probably can’t expect to change someone’s mind about something.

But that is just my opinion.

Steve
    Participant

There seems to be a lot of interest in this topic.

Personally, I feel like it will be a lot easier to raise our national profile after we implement some sort of rail.

Chris Sherman
    Participant

Gil Ligg said:

I’m talking about the dark side of being a “cool” city like Austin or Portland. While these cities have great character, unique attractions, and vibrant creative communities, they also have become overpopulated with hipsters. The locals hate this. All the place that were once cool and underground are overrun by these annoying transplants and are turned into cliche’ hangout spots.

If I were a creative person planted firmly in this city then I wouldn’t want Cbus to be “cool” to the outside world. I would want to keep it a secret. Right now the hipsters have a few select places that they control, but if this city were to become like Austin, then they would be everywhere. They’re like gremlins, except they multiply from PBR instead of water.

I honestly think it would benefit this city if it embraced the cowtown image. It would prevent an influx of extremely annoying people, but then again it would attract a completely opposite , yet equally annoying person- the hillbilly.

I just got it. You watched the new simpsons episode last night didn’t you?

http://simpsonswiki.net/wiki/The_Day_the_Earth_Stood_Cool

Gil Ligg

I don’t watch the Simpsons.

Chris Sherman, are you the guy that runs 400 Rich St? If so, I have a few questions for ya.
    1.) I was wondering what you thought about how 400 Rich St gets no love from the city. I mean, isn’t it a shame that 400 Rich wouldn’t exist if it weren’t for a wealthy dude in California?

2.) Why don’t any of the wealthy people in Cbus want to invest in local artist communities?

3.) Why isn’t there any collaboration between 400 Rich and the guys that are developing the Scioto Peninsula?

4.) Are there any plans to turn 400 Rich into a real community instead of just a bunch of isolated artist studios that occasionally puts on events???

Gil Ligg said:

Chris Sherman, are you the guy that runs 400 Rich St? If so, I have a few questions for ya.
    1.) I was wondering what you thought about how 400 Rich St gets no love from the city. I mean, isn’t it a shame that 400 Rich wouldn’t exist if it weren’t for a wealthy dude in California?

2.) Why don’t any of the wealthy people in Cbus want to invest in local artist communities?

3.) Why isn’t there any collaboration between 400 Rich and the guys that are developing the Scioto Peninsula?

4.) Are there any plans to turn 400 Rich into a real community instead of just a bunch of isolated artist studios that occasionally puts on events???

Let’s not forget this all comes from the person who claims to be new in town.

Seriously, watching people (people who really should know better) actually respond to this kind of ham-handed sock-puppetry is embarrassing.

https://www.phoneunlock24.com
    phone unlock 24
    http://www.phoneunlock24.com is a website for unlocking free all gsm phones worldwide. 100% Satisfaction guaranteed. Imei Unlocks cell.
    liberacion de moviles al mejor precios espana
    how to unlock free cell phones iphone apple the best prices usa canada europe
    como liberar gratis htc iphone apple blackberry nokia samsung motorola sony ericsson alcatel lg zte android

Chris Sherman
    Participant

Gil Ligg said:

Your not fooling me.. How’s the scrap metal business these days? Or the faux exploitive journalism career? You have no clue what your jabbering about specifically in regards to the city, I suggest you set your toxic sights on someone else before it gets you into even more trouble. You come on here time and time again spewing the same bullshit about wonderland and the arts community in Columbus. I have you narrowed down to about 2 or 3 jadded people. those that know me know that I don’t give a shit and know that I’m not going allow anyone to disrespect me, my fellow artists at 400, and our community. So when you make a comment like “when is 400 going to to turn into a real community” well you can go fuck yourself with that. The artists and tenants at 400 are a community. An amazing community. An asset.. I’m sick of these crybabies going on the internet hiding behind the keyboard. How lame. What a joke.. Absolutely pathetic. And yes your reply early Monday morning mirrored Sunday’s Simpsons episode. Feel free to contact me anytime.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 347 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.