Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Madisons Building Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Madisons Building Downtown

This topic contains 137 replies, has 49 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 138 total)
  • Author

futureman
    Participant

No longer just a concept, moving forward! … phase 1 that is. Renovation of the Madison building into 30 apartments with 61,000 sf of retail and office space. The Hotel (unconfirmed) and parking garage is a later phase.

Apartments, retail and offices targeted for neglected High Street buildings
    Brian R. Ball Staff reporter Columbus Business First
    Oct 12, 2015

A developer has filed tentative plans to renovate historic properties on North High Street in downtown Columbus with a peek into a bigger plan next door.

Rick Day would polish the neglected Madison’s building at 72-78 N. High St. and the White-Haines property at 80-84 N. High St. before tackling a 12-level project to the north. Day Cos. has applied to the city Downtown Commission for a conceptual review of plans to renovate the properties into apartments, offices and revived street-level retail.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2015/10/12/apartments-retail-and-offices-targeted-for.html

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Phase 1 also includes the demo of the old Experience Columbus building at 90 N High to accommodate the shifted alley/walkway. Excellent foresight from the Dtown commission many years ago when they refused to let The Atrium project at 106 N High punch out windows on the south side of their building, we likely wouldn’t have a proposed 12 story project next door if the request had been approved.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Absolutely love this plan, and the direction in which it’s going–and the direction it will take our downtown.

jbcmh81
    Participant

I like that the project is maximizing retail with the pedestrian street having shops along it. Maybe this could help encourage the Pearl Alley project we heard about a few years back.

I’m not especially sold on the hotel portion. I like the 12 stories, but I’d rather have this be mixed-use or primarily residential instead.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m not especially sold on the hotel portion. I like the 12 stories, but I’d rather have this be mixed-use or primarily residential instead.

Considering that there’s new residential at The Atlas, along with residential development under way across from the YMCA and at both Edwards projects across the street, I’m not too concerned about the area having a lack of new residential options.

I’d add that retailers also see a bump in traffic from hotel guests just as much as residents. The Moonlight Market got a lot of shopping foot traffic this season from The Residence Inn and Renaissance hotel guests who were looking for souvenirs and gifts while visiting Columbus from elsewhere. ;)

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I think that’s precisely why a hotel makes sense on that block.

If I’m a hotel operator, I want my hotel to be within walking distance of things for my guests to do, in addition to putting them close to where they need to be for business purposes. And that block of High fits the bill, and will all the more so as the area continues developing retail.

It makes a lot more sense than some of the other hotel downtown locations, in that regard.

WJT
    Participant

I am so glad this is moving forward! It will have so many components-office, ground floor retail/restaurant space, hotel, residential units, lots of parking(a necessity for now unfortunately), and the possibility of creating an intimate space(the pedestrian alley). Preserving the historic buildings and rebuilding the streetwall with the hotel(just about matching in height the buildings to the north) is great for this stretch of High.

I really hope this and whatever ends up across the street from it helps pull the Gay street activity out on to and along High at this point and increasing in size the node of activity there.

*also the presence of bad or indifferent architecture is lessened due to the variety and number of the buildings along the streetwall-if the hotel part ends up looking bad or cheap it will not matter so much as it will simply blend in with what is north and south of it.

jbcmh81
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jbcmh81 wrote:</div>

Considering that there’s new residential at The Atlas, along with residential development under way across from the YMCA and at both Edwards projects across the street, I’m not too concerned about the area having a lack of new residential options.

I’d add that retailers also see a bump in traffic from hotel guests just as much as residents. The Moonlight Market got a lot of shopping foot traffic this season from The Residence Inn and Renaissance hotel guests who were looking for souvenirs and gifts while visiting Columbus from elsewhere. ;)

For me, the Capital Square article recently highlighted some, for me at least, surprising weaknesses Downtown compared to what peer cities are doing, not least of which is the very low comparative population and growth. I have criticized certain projects, but until then, I had assumed that Downtown was doing a lot better than that. There have been several hotel projects proposed for Downtown this year already, and I don’t think that’s necessarily the best project for making Columbus more competitive in this regard. The hotel will work, and I don’t hate the proposal or would be disappointed by it, I just would rather see more residential.

As far as across the street… yeah, talk about a disappointment.

WJT
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walker Evans wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jbcmh81 wrote:</div><br>

For me, the Capital Square article recently highlighted some, for me at least, surprising weaknesses Downtown compared to what peer cities are doing, not least of which is the very low comparative population and growth. I have criticized certain projects, but until then, I had assumed that Downtown was doing a lot better than that. There have been several hotel projects proposed for Downtown this year already, and I don’t think that’s necessarily the best project for making Columbus more competitive in this regard. The hotel will work, and I don’t hate the proposal or would be disappointed by it, I just would rather see more residential.

As far as across the street… yeah, talk about a disappointment.

You have to remember that the article in question was in some cases comparing apples to oranges.

An example:

-Downtown Columbus(by it’s own definition): 1.5 square miles

-Downtown ‘regional center’ Indianapolis(by it’s own definition): about 6.5 square miles.

If you include the entire swath between 315 and 71 from 670 north to about Lane Avenue and lump it in with downtown you might have downtown Columbus at 6.5 square miles. Then compare population(including OSU students and construction, as Purdue’s campus in Indy is included in their downtown) and include all of that construction and all of the population growth in that area and you would get a better comparison to Indy.

Looking at the list that they had, I have some serious reservations about not only the apples to oranges thing, but about the population and construction figures themselves.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

This is a very blighted stretch of high street. Glad to see that someone has taken an interest in it. Some of the buildings actually look dangerous. I’ve seen bits of stone that have fallen off of some of them.

coolyrboots
    coolyrboots
    Participant

Looks like they were stripping down the facade today…do we know if the Madisons sign stays? Would be kinda neat.

JMan
    Participant

I can understand the sentiment for the Madison’s sign. But really, there’s nothing significant about it. Better to restore that building to the architect’s original design.

mbeaumont
    Participant

I really don’t like that sign.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Agreed about the sign. However, the decorative “Madison’s” tiling at the main entry door I definitely do hope they save.

_calebross
    _calebross
    Participant

VISION 2016: HIGH STREET TO DEVELOP DOWNTOWN POWER CENTER IN FORMER FORGOTTEN STRETCH
    Restoration is key as construction companies unlock High Street potential.

Like a missing and long-sought puzzle piece, development of an expanse of High Street from Broad Street north to Spring Street is falling into place with great anticipation.

Several developers’ plans to add hundreds more apartments to three neglected but strategically positioned blocks will fill a gap between previous projects that stretch from German Village on the south to the Ohio State University campus on the north.

In the emerging picture, environmental elements color the projects with excitement: A growing vibe of urban cool spills over from E. Gay Street. Welcoming walkability extends west from the newly opened Scioto Greenways. Classic character not available with new builds comes with renovation of historic structures.

The vision shared by developers and observers alike is that the mixed-use development along this part of High Street and vicinity—combining residential with retail, restaurants and office space—will infuse new energy into Downtown and make it even more attractive for continued improvements. Projects in the works include a possible hotel and five garages—four new and one renovated.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusceo.com/content/stories/2016/01/vision-2016-high-street-to-develop-downtown-power-center-in-former-forgotten-stretch.html

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 138 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: