Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Madisons Building Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Madisons Building Downtown

This topic contains 137 replies, has 49 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 138 total)
  • Author
    loudiamondtabs
    loudiamondtabs
    Participant

Thanks for the link Walker. I was surprised that 1 East Gay Street was so old. That “renovation” from the 60′s really did a number on any historical feel that building may have once had.

It can’t be the same building that says “the gay academy…”, can it?

Pro Se
    Participant

So happy this got approved. I recall that the project was dependent on the credits so I wonder how soon they will get started now that they got the green light on that front.

News
    Participant

Renovations Begin on The Madison Mixed-Use Development
    June 30, 2015 7:00 pm – Walker Evans

The long-vacant Madison’s Department Store and White-Haines Buildings, located prominently on High Street between Gay Street and Long Street, have often been considered one of the biggest eyesores Downtown. Last summer, the City of Columbus began to pursue action against the property’s former owners, which prompted the sale of the properties to Day Companies, a local developer that has renovated multiple nearby buildings. Day Companies promised a renovation plan for the buildings, and today has been able to reveal more of the details of those plans.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/renovations-begin-on-the-madison-mixed-use-development

Dmo1187
    Participant

My grandmother and grandfather were the owners of Madisons. They eventually decided to retire in the early 90’s and sold the company to foreign investors hoping to add stores while reducing quality/price. I know they are happy they sold when they did, because it was at this time that the bigger chains (Lazarus,limited) began to really dominate the women’s clothing/accessories market. Madisons was an amazing store in its heyday, selling fur coats of all varieties and everything in between.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I checked out the Day Companies’ site to see if their may be any updates on this, and I saw a piece of the proposal I don’t recall seeing previously: A new build that appears to be envisioned as a hotel. (You’ll have to scroll through a few photos before you see it.)

The website states that “The Madison project includes an opportunity for new construction south of 80-84 North High on two adjacent parcels.”

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

My guess is they meant to say south of Elm St or north of the White Haines building, which would be the old mid-century Experience Columbus building.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Very nice! According to those renderings, it’d be a 12 story building – which would fill in yet another significant gap in the streetscape along High. I’m not sure I like realigning the “alley” from Elm St to just north of White Haines, though.

But again it makes you think why can’t Edwards do something larger scale across the street…

http://daycompanies.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Madison_Highsiteplan.jpg
    http://daycompanies.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Madison_Perspective.jpg
    http://daycompanies.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Madison_Highelevation.jpg

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Impressive! That would make such a difference, keeping my fingers crossed but at what point do we hit saturation with downtown hotel rooms?

WJT
    Participant

This looks very promising and would really help build the streetwall along High.

News
    Participant

Hotel Concept Calls for 12 Stories on High Street Downtown
    September 25, 2015 1:03 pm – Brent Warren

In the midst of much discussion about the Edwards Companies’ proposal to build a six-story building on the west side of High Street between Gay and Long streets, another local developer – the Day Companies – has quietly floated a concept for a 12-story hotel across the street.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/the-madison-building-downtown-columbus-bw1

CB_downtowner
    Participant

This is pretty awesome. I noticed that the Madison building already had Floorplans on the window and mention of being ready in 2016. So sounds like at least phase 1 will be done pretty quickly?

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Maybe this announcement is the reason that the development proposal across the street was removed from the dtown commission agenda at the 11th hour?

Pro Se
    Participant

My thoughts, too Josh. Let’s hope they were embarrassed by their lackluster effort and gained inspiration from Day Cos.

drtom1234
    Participant

From your lips to God’s ears! While the retail component of Edward’s proposal was great, the rest of it was nothing but mediocre, which is not what the city needs, or deserves, at that intersection. C’mon Edwards, step up your game; Day cos and Kaufman are kicking your butt!

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

From Meyers+Associates

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 138 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.