Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Madisons Building Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Madisons Building Downtown

This topic contains 137 replies, has 49 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 138 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Three Developers Awarded Green Grants for Cleanup Efforts
    November 25, 2014 7:40 am – Walker Evans

Three local Columbus development organizations were awarded over $200,000 in grants from the city’s Green Columbus Fund at yesterday’s City Council meeting. That includes a grant for $135,990 for the Day Companies to redevelop and restore three commercial buildings Downtown, known as the long-vacant Madison’s department store. The company acquired the properties two weeks ago from the Tonti Organization.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/three-developers-awarded-green-grants-for-cleanup-efforts

cadillackid
    Participant

I really hope they can save these and dont just level them.. whole I really like the look of ‘new’ in downtown with new offices, apartments, rtc i also like to see some renovated old along the street-front. these buildings are kind of iconic in a way.. though id rather see them levelled rather than abandoned if in fact they are un-saveable.. I would hope if thats the case the developers dont just run away from a half-started project.

I still though havent figured out why we keep building more office space when there is so much open office-space downtown… maybe that office space will dwindle as more and more residences are built??

-Christopher

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I still though havent figured out why we keep building more office space when there is so much open office-space downtown…

According to the latest data, office vacancy rates are only at 15.1 percent Downtown, which isn’t a bad rate for the region:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/downtown-vacancy-rate-rises-to-3-year-high/page/3/#post-1048111

Pro Se
    Participant

Dispatch article this morning gives some updates. Looks like Ricky Day is pursuing preservation development tax credits in March and hopes to start work in 12-18 months. Was hoping to see more activity sooner but I understand the process can take time to launch.

heresthecasey
    Participant

heresthecasey
    Participant

There’s some new updates and info today in the article below.

It sounds like we should know if they received tax credits within the next month, Day is projecting that work on the historic buildings will be complete by Fall 2017, and 90 N High is being considered for demolition – with new construction then taking place on that lot and next door!

This is probably my new favorite project happening Downtown right now. So much potential here that has gone untapped for so long.

Historic Madison’s and White-Haines Buildings to Undergo Mixed-Use Renovation

Located at 72-84 N High St, the Madison’s and White-Haines buildings have been vacant, neglected, and deteriorating eyesores located prominently along our city’s main commercial corridor for over two decades.

Last fall, after mounting pressure over code violations from the City of Columbus, long-time absentee landlord the Tonti Organization agreed to sell the buildings to local developer Day Companies, who own several other properties in the area.

http://columbusight.com/2015/05/26/historic-madisons-and-white-haines-buildings-to-undergo-mixed-use-renovation/

Pablo
    Participant

Who is responsible for columbusight.com?

mbeaumont
    Participant

I don’t know, but they’re becoming a must-read for sure.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

WJT
    Participant

More info here: http://daycompanies.net/upcoming-projects/

That was interesting. I scrolled on down to see the Chestnut property-and it was good old Tradewinds (R.I.P.)

At least they aren’t planning on demolishing the old place.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Thanks for the link Walker. I was surprised that 1 East Gay Street was so old. That “renovation” from the 60’s really did a number on any historical feel that building may have once had.

ohbr
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pablo wrote:</div>

I don’t know, but they’re becoming a must-read for sure.

I have suspicions it’s heresthecasey with how he’s always been able to catch stuff pretty early… Or Walker’s wife, Anne. *plot twist!*

heresthecasey
    Participant

I have suspicions it’s heresthecasey with how he’s always been able to catch stuff pretty early… Or Walker’s wife, Anne. *plot twist!*

Lol. I’ll take the compliment but am sadly only an rss feed subscriber on this one.

Can I put money down on jbcmh?

The ultimate plot twist would be rus.

ohbr
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ohbr wrote:</div>

The ultimate plot twist would be rus.

Haha. Yes!

SteveKZ087
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 138 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: