Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Madisons Building Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Madisons Building Downtown

This topic contains 137 replies, has 49 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 138 total)
  • Author

joev
    Participant

Regardless of the parking issue, the buildings are an embarrassing eyesore, and it’s time that something be done to fix that.

goldenidea
    Participant

The façade on the northern building looks very attractive. Both buildings would look nice restored.

“This is one of the two worst properties in downtown,” says Ricksecker.

Just curious, anyone know the other worst property Cleve refers to here?

News
    Participant

City Takes Action Against Owner Of Several Vacant Downtown Buildings Amid Safety Concerns
    By Kevin Landers
    Thursday June 19, 2014 4:36 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Overgrown weeds. Tumbling bricks. Neighbors of a southwest Columbus vacant building want it gone. 10TV took their concerns to the city and tomorrow, they’ll see action.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/06/19/columbus-vacant-buildings-anger-neighbors.html

substance
    Participant

Bobbie Root had no title in the article, so I assume he was just a man-on-the-street interview? I’ve never understood the point of asking random passersby how they feel about something that they know absolutely nothing about.

Awful, just to get the quote they want.

The city needs to figure out a way to make it more expensive for the owner to sit on the building in the current condition.

Achekov
    Participant

If the buildings pose a safety hazard, can’t the city use eminent domain to take them?

The ironic thing is that the better the rest of downtown starts to look from all the new development, the worse these buildings look by comparison.

News
    Participant

City Considers What to do with Vacant High Street Properties
    June 24, 2014 1:25 pm – Jesse Bethea

Columbus has development on the brain and a low tolerance for vacant buildings, particularly Downtown and particularly on coveted High Street. So it’s no wonder the vacant buildings at 72 North High have become such a topic of interest that 10TV devoted not one but two stories to the buildings and their owners last week.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/city-considers-what-to-do-with-vacant-high-street-properties-jb1

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Just noticed this up on a front window a few days ago…

heresthecasey
    Participant

Hrm. I really hope these buildings are not headed for demolition…

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Just noticed this up on a front window a few days ago…

We must’ve walked by within minutes of each other because I snapped the same pic during lunch…
    Really, really hope this isn’t the last requirement needed to proceed with a demolition permit.
    vacant high buildings madisons

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Hrm. I really hope these buildings are not headed for demolition…

+1

drtom1234
    Participant

Demolition for a new parking lot would be disastrous. Demolition for a new build, that I would be ok with.

wpcc88
    Participant

Demolition for a new parking lot would be disastrous. Demolition for a new build, that I would be ok with.

Honestly a developer trying to get a good deal would not surprise me

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Does this allow the city to take control over the property on public safety grounds or anything?

columbusmike
    Participant

I believe it just means the city has revoked their occupancy permit…which, to the deadbeat owner, probably doesn’t mean a whole lot to them, except their property value is pretty much worthless now, and their insurance coverage is probably through the roof.

jbaker544
    jbaker544
    Participant

These are really cool historic buildings and if saved could keep that historic look of the block, however I would settle for anything then parking lots. There are already large surface lots across the street. Being only a block from city center and creating a “dead zone” between the Short North, Capital and the Commons, I believe it in the city’s best interest to do something with these buildings. Lets keep our fingers crossed!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 138 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: