Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Madisons Building Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Madisons Building Downtown

This topic contains 137 replies, has 49 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 138 total)
  • Author

greenhouse1014
    Participant

Went by the old Madison store today and saw someone inside cleaning. Anyone know what’s happening with this place?

patient_zero
    Participant

What was the old Madison? Was it a department store? It looks like it was retail space from the 60’s or 70’s. It’s been vacant for quite some time, whatever it was.

misskitty
    Participant

It was a club but I have not been in a wile so I am not sure if thats still running.

pez
    Participant

72 N. High Street.

No permits filed, so I doubt anything significant is going on there.

In a nutshell, Madison’s was a women’s clothing store (on par with Lazarus) from 1926 until they announced the closing of the 7 remaining stores in December 1994. At it’s largest, it had 32 stores in the Midwest, 7 in Columbus.

The company was locally owned and operated until 1990 when the family sold out to a Hong Kong based clothing manufacturer. The recession of the early 90’s combined with overly aggressive expansion plans and a move to lower cost products drove them into bankruptcy in 1992, eventually leading to liquidation in late 1994.

greenhouse1014
    Participant

misskitty wrote >>
    It was a club but I have not been in a wile so I am not sure if thats still running.

That clib really didn’t “open” at all. They had a couple of special events there for 18+ and was rife with trouble. A friend of mine was driving past one night and saw a guy attacked outside from behind making him smack his head on teh ground pretty badly. The guy who ran that “club” was a total loser, in my book, and it was destined to fail. I guess that happens when your backing money comes from shady sources…

gk

patient_zero wrote >>
    What was the old Madison? Was it a department store? It looks like it was retail space from the 60’s or 70’s. It’s been vacant for quite some time, whatever it was.

For you youngsters, Madison’s was a rather high-end women’s clothing store. Its chief competitor downtown was Montaldos which was located next to the Columbus Dispatch. Both stores have been gone for decades.

News
    Participant

Decision On Future Of Columbus Downtown Eyesore Could Come Soon
    By Kevin Landers
    Wednesday June 18, 2014 5:28 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – It’s a row of crumbling, downtown buildings. Some say it’s a dangerous situation that’s also taking up coveted parking spots. The buildings are full of busted, boarded up windows. Pieces of the brick facade lay crumbled on the sidewalk. It’s safe to say that it’s one of the least admired buildings in downtown.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/06/18/columbus-ohio-decision-on-future-of-columbus-downtown-eyesore-could-come-soon.html

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I’ve been secretly hoping that ColumbusUnderground would just go ahead and buy out the building and expand aggressively. :)

But this is excellent news–this is important real estate in Downtown Columbus. Here’s hoping this is the start of a great new project, and not the start of a new parking lot.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I hope that some local leader… ANY local leader… is willing to step up and prevent this from being torn down.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

I hope that some local leader… ANY local leader… is willing to step up and prevent this from being torn down.

But coveted parking spaces are currently being taken up!

futureman
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walker Evans wrote:</div>

But coveted parking spaces are currently being taken up!

All three of them!

But seriously, I hope the buildings are saved and the owners are put in a situation were they have to sell the building or renovate … which is unlikely as they have sat on the property forever waiting for a big payday.

Urban Dansigner
    Participant

But “Bobbie Root” wants more parking! How ridiculous for the reporter to include this commentary as a legitimate solution of what should be done on one of our most important, if not the most important street in our city.

GCrites80s
    Participant

“Valuable parking spaces?” If parking spaces were actually valuable here spaces would cost $30 an hour, not $3.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

But “Bobbie Root” wants more parking! How ridiculous for the reporter to include this commentary as a legitimate solution of what should be done on one of our most important, if not the most important street in our city.

+1

Bobbie Root had no title in the article, so I assume he was just a man-on-the-street interview? I’ve never understood the point of asking random passersby how they feel about something that they know absolutely nothing about.

Pablo
    Participant

The parking issue stressed in this article is ridiculous.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 138 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.