Our City Online

Messageboard - Video Games

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Nintendo 3DS

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Video Games Nintendo 3DS

This topic contains 33 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Wondering what thoughts are on the 3DS…

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/preview-nintendo-3ds/705886

The Nintendo fan boy in me is excited, but I’m not sure if I want to shell out $250-$300 for a new handheld system. Their lineup is pretty impressive so far though with big 1st party and 3rd party titles announced:

Nintendo World: 31 3DS Titles To Be Shown Off, 14 To Be Playable

by Matt Burns on December 28, 2010

The 3DS launches in Japan on February 26th, which will no doubt shut-down the country in a state of mass histaria. But early next month Nintendo will make the 3DS available to the general public for the very first time at the self-named Nintendo World. Unlike at the press- and industry-only E3 show where the 3DS was announced, every Joe and Jane from the street’s of Tokyo will be able to play with the 3D gaming marvel and Nintendo has a whole set of playable demos ready.

READ MORE: http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/12/28/nintendo-world-31-3ds-titles-to-be-shown-off-14-to-be-playable/

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

I’m curious about it, but $250 to $300 is a bit pricey for a handheld gaming unit. Otaku will buy it up, however, and that is probably what Nintendo is counting on to power them through the first year or so before they consider a price drop to $200. Casual gamers will probably stick with more affordable Droid phones and download quality bargains like Angry Birds.

cc

^That is a very good point, which resonates more as phones evolve. The portable gaming market is also vying against a fairly robust smartphone market. Maybe not apples to apples, but people only have so much ‘on the go’ time and $$.

GCrites80s
    Participant

The biggest market for portables in the States is kids that spend a lot of time in the back of the car, so getting kids on board is key for the system. Nintendo is very good at that but the price point is a concern. Smartphones steal a lot of the portable market among adults and are one of the reasons for the decline of the PSP.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

Consider the price of the games, too. The average price of Nintendo 3DS games is going to fall somewhere between $30 and $40. Most downloads for smartphones are under $5. As I said above, Nintendo is going to have to rely heavily upon their devoted fan base to carry them through the first 1 to 2 years.

On the flip side, however, I think a big part of the PSP’s struggles is the fact that Sony couldn’t decide what precisely they wanted it to be. Is it a handheld game system or a portable movie player? No one else has been able to figure it out either. Nintendo, at least, knows their market. All of their handheld systems going back to the original Game Boy have been about one thing and one thing only: playing games.

honavery

Is that officially going to be the price? That is way too much IMO. The 3D thing is interesting, but the smartphone market is stealing the handheld gaming market. With Sony looking like it’s about to jump on that ship. I think the quality of smart phone games is a bit over rated. For every Angry Birds or Cut the Rope there are 100 other crappy games. Plus just because you can download Street Fighter 4 for your iPhone doesn’t mean it doesn’t suck to play it on a touch screen.

Who knows though, Nintendo has proven me wrong before. You know there will be at least a few great must have first party games for this thing.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

honavery wrote >>
    Is that officially going to be the price?

No. It’s an industry analysis’ guesstimate. I’d max out at around $180 for it, myself…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

GCrites80s wrote >>
    The biggest market for portables in the States is kids that spend a lot of time in the back of the car, so getting kids on board is key for the system. Nintendo is very good at that but the price point is a concern.

Especially when you consider that 50 million of the original DSes have been sold in the US. If my kid is bored in the car, he can play the old DS. The new one will not make him any less bored. ;)

honavery

Official price announced this morning. $250. NA release date is March 27th.

Edit: Interesting chart at Joystiq[/url], listing all portable systems, with launch price and adjusted price for inflation.

GCrites80s
    Participant

^Sheesh, I should thanked my folks more profusely for buying me that Lynx for “$324” in 1990. Especially since I took it apart after about 2 months.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Just read that the 3DS is dropping in price from $250 to $170 due to sluggish sales.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/28/3ds-price-drops-to-170-on-august-12/

That’s a much better price. I’m still a little wary about spending $30-$40 per game on it when I’m perfectly ok with zero-to-99-cent casual games on my iPhone these days. ;)

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

in addition, if you bought a 3DS for launch price, you get 20 free downloadable games as an apology for the sudden price drop.

also nintendo ceo iwata is taking a 50% pay cut as his personal mea-culpa for the slow sales and the losses they’ve recently reported . . .

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Considering Sony’s NGP is going to be $250 when it comes out soon, I think Nintendo is shaking in their boots right now. The NGP’s tech and third party support blow the 3DS to smithereens. The thing is pretty badass.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

bastardsuperstar said:
    in addition, if you bought a 3DS for launch price, you get 20 free downloadable games as an apology for the sudden price drop.

also nintendo ceo iwata is taking a 50% pay cut as his personal mea-culpa for the slow sales and the losses they’ve recently reported . . .

The whole release of the 3DS was a colossal mess. They had zero launch titles that were remarkable or even decent. A Pilotwings game that gets boring after an hour doesn’t cut it. Mario, Kirby… any decent Nintendo franchise games at launch, hellooo? The reviews for almost all of the games that came out shortly after it’s release were mediocre or poor. Also, the online store feature that was heavily touted was delayed and not available at launch, and Nintendo stated it would be ready sometime in the future. The whole thing just seemed really unlike Nintendo, amateurish at best.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, the best game for the system is the re-release of Zelda 64:

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/new-releases/3ds/metascore

(yawn)

I think Nintendo and Sony both need to be worried less about competing with each other and more about competing with Apple, Google and Facebook. Gaming on mobile devices and social networks has exploded in the past few years and will only continue to improve. Which means that the market for the hardcore gamers who want to shell out an extra $200-300 and $30-40 per game for the handheld experience is going to grow smaller and smaller. At least in the US.

That being said, I’d consider buying a 3DS once a new Advance Wars game is released. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

The forum ‘Video Games’ is closed to new topics and replies.