Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Next Short North?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The Next Short North?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Kind of a weird Dispatch article today that asks the same question that gets asked every year or two… “Where’s the next Short North?”

Typically that question is asking about the next arts district or boutique shopping area, but this time it’s used as shortcode for development hotspot. Which is kind of strange because development is happening just as quick, if not quicker in other areas already.

The article goes on to highlight 7 areas. A quick rundown:

1. Parsons Avenue – Lots of development already happening at/around Childrens Hospital. The spillover seems to be slow-going, but the area does have a similar linear-business-corridor-surrounded-by-residential-neighborhoods setup when compared to The Short North. The problem is that there’s no big anchor on the south end like The Short North has with Downtown on one side and OSU on the other.

2. Olde Towne East – Come on. Redevelopment has been going on here for twenty years, if not longer. There’s no “next” about it. Many areas are just as nice, if not nicer than portions of the Short North neighborhoods. It’s missing the retail/restaurant density, and it’s not likely to see the upward development soon, but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t already arrived in its own right.

3. North Fourth Street – This is Italian Village. This is the Short North. Weinland Park gets a mention, which I’d say is highly likely to continue to be considered an add-on neighborhood to The Short North.

4. West Franklinton – Has a very long way to go. East Franklinton has much more potential and forward momentum as the city’s next arts district, creative district and near-Downtown residential community.

5. Clintonville – What the? Clintonville has always been a better-than-average neighborhood. It’s not an up-and-coming community.

6. Olentangy River Road – Development has happened here and will continue to happen, but it has very little in common with The Short North. It’s very suburban-style in its layout, filled with chains and is likely to be disposable by those same corporations as every other strip mall in the country. Hopefully it can last longer as its surrounded by solid areas. We’ll see what happens in 25 years when everything new today feels dated.

7. Powell – Old Downtown Powell is quaint, but outside of those 2 or 3 blocks and you’re back into the traditional suburbs. It’s not connected to anything. Being close enough to drive to other things that are 3-5 miles away will not make it anything like The Short North.

——-

Anyone else read this article and feel similarly confused and/or let down?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

likely to be disposable by those same corporations as every other strip mall

Hell, they think bigger than that. They tear down big new hotels on speculation of building bigger, newer hotels for more profit. Meanwhile those big empty lots of gravel await their wrangling a deal.

But yeah, parts of that area are ready for some kind of improvement.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

They mentioned Olde Towne East but no mention of East Main Street. To me, that stretch between downtown and Bexley is a blank slate. I’m still not sure why developers have not taken interest yet.

Clintonville, Olentangy River Road and Powell were head scratchers though.

I wondering when 614 or Alive is going to have a comprehensive issue about recent urban development. It’s not like they won’t have anything to write about and it’s a pretty important topic. It would be a great way to get people, especially young professionals, informed about what’s going on in urban Columbus. Not everybody reads ColumbusUnderground.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

To me, that stretch between downtown and Bexley is a blank slate. I’m still not sure why developers have not taken interest yet.

There’s been a decent amount of work through that stretch by The Columbus Compact Corporation over the past decade or so… but yeah, still a long way to go:

http://www.colscompact.com/

It does have the advantage of having an anchor on both ends as well (Downtown & Bexley) so I would agree that the potential there somewhat mirrors The Short North.

I wondering when 614 or Alive is going to have a comprehensive issue about recent urban development. It’s not like they won’t have anything to write about and it’s a pretty important topic.

614 and Alive are entertainment-based publications. Food, music, nightlife, film, bars, etc. I don’t expect either one to dive too deeply into more substantial topics.

Not everybody reads ColumbusUnderground.

Same could be said about print-based publications. ;)

Seriously though, with nearly 300,000 unique visitors per month and over 1 million pageviews per month… if people are googling for urban development information in Columbus, they’re finding what they’re looking for here.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Those are great numbers, Walker. Congratulations to you and your team.

Do you have a sense of how those figures compare to some of your peers around the country, or to some of your competitors locally? Or rather, is the Dispatch pulling in that kind of online readership?

~

Agreed with the dissatisfaction of the article.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Those are great numbers, Walker. Congratulations to you and your team. Do you have a sense of how those figures compare to some of your peers around the country, or to some of your competitors locally? Or rather, is the Dispatch pulling in that kind of online readership?

Thanks, appreciate it.

Wasn’t my intention to derail, so I’ll just say that we don’t really have specific apples-to-apples peers around the country to compare to. I also haven’t researched online readership numbers locally in the past year or so, so my numbers are inaccurate. The only metric publicly available are sites like Compete.com and Alexa, and I’ve always found those to be not fully accurate when comparing to google analytics. Not everyone makes their numbers available. But I’m sure The Dispatch still pulls in the most online traffic in town. 10tv’s website is pretty high up there as well. I’m certain we’re pretty high up there as well, especially for being a much smaller team.

wpcc88
    Participant

A few thoughts on the article from Walker’s synopsis:

OTE – I hope is never like the SN, because it is unique in it’s own right. I do hope for more businesses to spring up in the area but overall it is great as is and only continuing to improve.

Parsons – Has a lot of potential to be a diverse, strong, safe commercial area once again. I think we will see that become a reality in the next 5-10 years.

Weinland Park(5th-Chitt) – This area much like Parsons has a lot of potential to have a new ‘hip-young-diverse’ revitalization, especially with the reno’s Wagenbrenner is doing at 11th & 4th. Also if nobody else has noticed the two story building next to Oldfield’s seem to be having some work done to them. The brownfield at 4th & 5th is also having it’s remediation work done as we speak.

East Franklinton – If the Scioto Peninsula project ends up taking shape, it only benefits and helps boost this neighborhood into the next ‘it’ neighborhood. It has all the same characteristics that SN did about 20 years ago so my money is on this area.

Discovery District – Not sure if this was mentioned in the article but this area of town is going from a ‘parking crater’ to an actual neighborhood. The Abigal, Neigborhood Lauch have turned this into a livable area pretty quickly. Hopefully the BalletMet apartments and CSCC expansion take shape in the next 5 years to make this a much denser area.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

I find it kind of crazy more retail and housing developments haven’t popped up along east Broad Street in Olde Towne. I thought I read somewhere that they want to keep retail off east Broad?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I find it kind of crazy more retail and housing developments haven’t popped up along east Broad Street in Olde Towne.

Where would they pop up? There’s only a small handful of places to build. It’s pretty well filled in with historic structures, and quite a few buildings with some mass/height to them.

DLDude
    Participant

I actually think N.4th has potential in Italian Village. Little Rock and 7th Sons are there. Jeffrey Park is going in and there is a lot of blank space available for development of both retail and restaurants. It’s close to the Short North so I wonder if people will want to compete but if I were someone looking to open a bar right now, 4th would look very attractive to me considering IV is going to double in size in the next 3-5 years

derm
    derm
    Participant

I think that 5th by NW will be redeveloped better. It has already started. When the Grandview Yard project was announced I answered some post here about places to buy a house that will appreciate and thought down the hill in Grandview would be it. The area between 3rd and King is not in bad shape, but I think it will only really go up from here.

Pro Se
    Participant

Along the lines of E. Main Street, how about E. Long Street? They are nearing completion of the new gateway bridges and as another poster mentioned, the Discovery District is filing in nicely.

I also received an e-mail from Coleman’s team this weekend telling that there would be a monumental HUD announcement on Monday. This can only be the massive and highly competitive HUD urban redevelopment grant that PACT applied for earlier this year. When I spoke with PACT Chair Fred Ransier several months ago, he told me that the HUD application would be a real game changer but the impression I got was that it was ambitious to expect they would get it in the first year. Well, and I am speculating, looks like we got it.

This can pour some real federal money into the North of Broad area.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

East Franklinton – It has all the same characteristics that SN did about 20 years ago so my money is on this area.

I feel strongly that East Franklinton is going to continue to redevelop, but I feel like it has none of the characteristics of the Short North 20 years ago. ;)

The Short North was a pretty well intact historic commercial strip with few vacant lots (which worked great for entrepreneurs and artists, and was flanked by historic residential areas on both sides, both of which had very good “bones”.

East Franklinton is historically a warehouse and industrial area. There’s retail on Broad, but the parcels are much larger in mass, whether they still have buildings on them or are vacant lots (not good for entrepreneurs). The area has many large empty lots that are going to need major developers to invest (which the ball is in motion on multiple projects) and less room for the single individual looking for a fixer upper, which the Short North was ripe for. You can find homes the further west you go, but they were built as working class, and many of them don’t have the historical attraction of neighborhoods like Victorian and Italian Village.

Totally different scenario to me, but it still bodes well for redevelopment.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Along the lines of E. Main Street, how about E. Long Street?

+1

A lot of it is a blank slate through The KLD. There’s multiple empty lots and a handful of the buildings through that area could be replaced with something taller (Silver Mini Mart for example).

Could be a very nice commercial strip if the right small-to-medium-sized local developer could make it happen.

wpcc88
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pro Se wrote:</div>
    Along the lines of E. Main Street, how about E. Long Street?

+1

A lot of it is a blank slate through The KLD. There’s multiple empty lots and a handful of the buildings through that area could be replaced with something taller (Silver Mini Mart for example).

Could be a very nice commercial strip if the right small-to-medium-sized local developer could make it happen.

You’ve got to think that a company like Wagenbrenner is 110% aware of the mixed-use possibilities in OTE. I think once Jeffrey is in full swing and Grant Commons is completed they will start looking elsewhere for development opportunities and to me OTE just seems like it fits nicely with their work.

I feel strongly that East Franklinton is going to continue to redevelop, but I feel like it has none of the characteristics of the Short North 20 years ago. ;)

The Short North was a pretty well intact historic commercial strip with few vacant lots (which worked great for entrepreneurs and artists, and was flanked by historic residential areas on both sides, both of which had very good “bones”.

East Franklinton is historically a warehouse and industrial area. There’s retail on Broad, but the parcels are much larger in mass, whether they still have buildings on them or are vacant lots (not good for entrepreneurs). The area has many large empty lots that are going to need major developers to invest (which the ball is in motion on multiple projects) and less room for the single individual looking for a fixer upper, which the Short North was ripe for.

Maybe bump it to 25 years ago then haha; with Strongwater and Rehab leading the way is what makes me think of the Short North. I think it would be a cool place for a company like Car2Go to setup shop and maybe create a true work and live neighborhood. Give tax incentives for tech start-ups or clothing manufacturers who can use the existing infrastructure and create a need for more housing and other businesses.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: