Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Eagle (Former La Fogata Space in The Short North)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The Eagle (Former La Fogata Space in The Short North)

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 122 total)
  • Author

ehill27
    Participant

If we ultimately want quality, we’ve got to be ok with losing places like Betty’s and replacing them with Melt.

What? Did you just say that Melt is better quality than Betty’s?

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CbusBiz wrote:</div>
    If we ultimately want quality, we’ve got to be ok with losing places like Betty’s and replacing them with Melt.

Yeah, I don’t think I’d agree with that, but I would say that The Eagle serves top notch food and is one of the most popular restaurants in Cincy. Let’s hope they can transfer that to Columbus. It’s owned by the Bakersfield guys, so I don’t doubt that they will.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CbusBiz wrote:</div>

I’d say they are/were equal as far as quality for sure.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m not saying that Melt or Bakersfield should be “shunned” (I’m not that hypocritical, as I have frequented both); I’m just stating that I’m disappointed that the area is gradually being occupied by an increasing number of businesses that are based outside Columbus. I prefer a Short North that showcases the best that Columbus has to offer in terms of arts and entertainment, but that’s just my “druthers”…

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

Of course, I think many people would say that if they could shop 100% local, they would. But that’s not only unrealistic from a practical sense, it would also deny people the modern pleasures of eating exotic fruits like bananas, for example. Are avocados something that Columbusites are willing to give up? Not me. ;)

Further, if a locally-based business sells primarily things made out of state, that throws another degree of subjective judgement on top of things. Most locally based boutique clothing shops fall into this category. The majority of the brands they carry are not locally made or locally designed.

Maybe I’m just getting older and less idealistic, but I don’t really see anything wrong with supporting, welcoming and enjoying an Ohio-based business in The Short North.

I also look forward to the day when I can shop at Target Downtown. ;)

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I’d gladly support a Cincinnati owned Rhinegeist brewpub in the Short North… just saying.

atmapes1
    Participant

Always felt like the food at La Fogata was pretty mediocre. Glad they’re flipping it and bringing in something new. The Eagle looks promising

News
    Participant

The Eagle to Land in Short North La Fogata Space
    July 13, 2015 3:52 pm – Rebecca Wagner

La Fogata, the authentic Mexican grill located at 790 N. High Street, will close its doors by April 2016. The Eagle, a food and beer hall based in Cincinnati’s Over-the-Rhine neighborhood, will rise from La Fogata’s ashes and occupy the Short North space, as they confirmed on Facebook and Twitter.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/the-eagle-to-land-in-short-north-la-fogata-space-rw1

wpcc88
    Participant

I’ve always been very underwhelmed with the food and service a LaFogata. The drinks were absurdly expensive and the food had little to no flavor. Bakersfield is a well run establishment and I hope the Eagle follows in its footsteps.

scarletandgrey
    Participant

La Fogata has the distinction of being the only place in Columbus where I’ve gotten food poisoning twice.

HarveyWallbanger
    Participant

What a great patio attached to a horrible little restaurant. For me, La Fogata has the distinction of being the only place that charged be $24 for a burrito that was clearly marked $10 on the menu and refused to honor the price ON THE MENU.

JAL
    Participant

Did anyone else hear that LaFogata’s final day of business in the SN was yesterday?

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

Yeah, it’s closed now I believe.

jOHnH
    Participant

Good riddance, I have been wondering/waiting when the Eagle was going to be taking over this space. I plan on visiting the Eagle soon after it opens. A patio with decent food and beer will be a welcome addition in the space.

placebohigh
    Participant

Yay! No more wet tacos. That place was a huge disappointment.

ImNotaStar
    Participant

I only ate at the place once and it wasn’t that bad, but I do t care that it’s gobe either. Chuy’s is running the Tex Mex game in Columbus now. Funny that the best Tex Mex in town is from a chain. It makes sense I guess.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 122 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO